PDA

View Full Version : Hands where I spewed chips (advice?)

Simplistic
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
1. MP1 with AJ, raise it to 3x blinds which are 1k/2k. BB who has a big stack with about 55k calls, I have about 72k pre-flop. My image is that I've been showing down monster after monster, although I have recently shown down a blind steal with A4 which got pushed by a small-stack with AT.

flop comes down AT7, he min bets into me, i raise him 3x to 6k and he calls. turn brings a 5 and he pushes.

What hand do you put him on? Do you call?

2) 18 left in tourney, blinds are 1.5k/3k, my stack is about 28k. I have AQ in SB, BB is all-in for BB, MP2 and CO+1 limp.

I pushed here thinking I would pick up the blinds and the limpers. I think 100% of the time I'm making this move, but it surprised me that they both cold called me.

I've seen alot of people limp with big pairs not even UTG and it's really surprised me in a 5+.5 tourney, either they're weak-passive as hell or they're trying to trap like whoa. i.e. I limp with Aces UTG+1 and guy with tens limps UTG+2.

tiger7210
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Hand #1- I fold but not too happy about it. You're just not ahead here enough to make this call. What can you beat that he pushes into you after showing PF aggression and post flop aggression.

Hand #2 - I like the push with ur stack size. You have plenty of dead money out there anf lots of FE. If you unfortunately ran into a monster that limped that's unfortunate but I still think its the right play.

Simplistic
05-03-2005, 01:47 PM
I folded my AJ in hand 1 and he showed AJ, that hand cost me about a few bucks and I was left with 55k, still in good shape, I eventually spewed my way down to about 30k, made a nice re-steal and got my way up to 40k, someone pushed against a steal and I was down to 30k where this hand happened, first caller had 99, spiked trips and 2nd caller has KT. so pretty much it was a flip situation with KT getting the worst of it, I have no regrets about pushing there but was surprised by KTs call, I guess there was enough pot odds to induce the call.

JaBlue
05-03-2005, 02:50 PM
What level is this?

In hand one I'd much rather call the minbet on the flop and see what develops on the turn, mostly planning on folding unimproved to a decent-sized bet (note: an ace doesn't improve your hand)

Second hand: you played it fine.

Simplistic
05-03-2005, 03:24 PM
yeah, after the hand, he was saying his plan if I hadn't raised and just called down would have been to pot bet each street. oh well happy with my play for the most part but not with results

JaBlue
05-03-2005, 04:29 PM
I think my line is probably optimal here because a turn pot bet defines his hand to be one that you can't beat; i.e. better than A9, and you have defined his hand very cheaply while also giving yourself a chance to improve.

However an interesting situation would arise if say the flop was AK2 and the turn was a 2.