PDA

View Full Version : Scoring on HR off Canseco's head?

ttleistdci
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
This convo started when a buddy of mine and I were talking about the St. Louis/Cinci game last night where a ruling you don't hear about often turned 2 of the runs Graves gave up in the 9th, including a HR, into unearned runs.

Somehow, the play where Canseco misplayed the ball and it ended up hitting him on the top of his head and bouncing over the wall for a homerun came up. Anyone have any clue if this was ruled a HR or an error? And if it was ruled an error, what was it scored as for the batter? Meaning, if someone hits a double and there's a throwing error that allows the runner to advance to third, it's still only ruled a double with an error tacked on.

Any ideas?

antidan444
05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the ball that bounced off Canseco's head and over the wall was ruled a home run. it should have been ruled a four-base error (and an 0-for-1 at-bat), but that's just my opinion.

(Also, let's say there were less than two outs and a man was on third. Then, the play should have been ruled an error and a sacrifice fly and RBI, since even had the catch been made, the runner at third would have tagged up and scored. This, of course, would not have been an official at-bat for Canseco. Ah, the complexities of baseball scoring.)

Soul Daddy
05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have any clue if this was ruled a HR or an error?

[/ QUOTE ]
It was definitely ruled a HR (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B05260CLE1993.htm) by Carlos Martinez. I have no idea how that was justified.

antidan444
05-03-2005, 12:15 PM
By the way, I'm an idiot. Kinda hard for Canseco to hit the ball AND have it bounce off his head.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...

SossMan
05-03-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I'm an idiot. Kinda hard for Canseco to hit the ball AND have it bounce off his head.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...according to Canseco himself, he was really fast

touchfaith
05-03-2005, 01:14 PM
But would the ball have bounced over if Canseco wasn't juiced??? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or, maybe, and more likely...Canseco's head is corked.