PDA

View Full Version : Most influential series...

Catch of the Day
05-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Okay, so I was looking up various release dates online today for some books and movies while procrastinating studying for a final, and I was reminded of the cult following that some of these books/movies have recieved. Many of these series have had quite an impact on american popculture. I am curious too about how widespread the popularity in other country's may be, as I am sorta trapped in an American perspective.

I am unsure as to whether movies or literature has more influence so I will include both. And I generalizing here.

Catch-

jakethebake
05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Did you have a question? Most influential on who? In what way?

a500lbgorilla
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
I didn't understand what you meant by influential exactly. I voted for Harry Potter becuase that series got kids reading again.

istewart
05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Harry Potter is crap.

Duke
05-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Horrible poll.

Harry Potter wasn't really influential in any way.

Star Wars has done more to change the way movies are made than anything else. Citizen Kane was an effects masterpiece, but as you can see from the films made between 1941 and now it didn't have *that* much influence, though it's very appreciated by film buffs and seen as how movies should have been made in that regard.

LOTR hasn't had time to have much influence, but I'm confident that it will revolutionize the way that epic battle scenes are handled. Most of it had been done before, but at least that part will change the industry. It may even open the door for more 13 hour movies to be released.

~D

M2d
05-03-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't understand what you meant by influential exactly. I voted for Harry Potter becuase that series got kids reading again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you realize how many potential empty nester parents did not get to fulfill that destiny because of Star Wars? The percentage of geeks living in their parents' basement skyrocketed after these movies came out.

jakethebake
05-03-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you say that? I guess you haven't seen Dynasty hanging around in his wazard hat & glasses.

jakethebake
05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you realize how many potential empty nester parents did not get to fulfill that destiny because of Star Wars? The percentage of geeks living in their parents' basement skyrocketed after these movies came out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think mkore so than Trekkies? I figure these were just people that a generation before would have done the same thing wearing pointy rubber ears instead of a black helmet and cape.

ceczar
05-03-2005, 02:37 PM
it depends whether you mean LOTR the books or the movies. it is very unlikely history will show the LOTR movies as having as much influence as Star Wars. But it's hard to overestimate the impact of the original novels, as they changed the way fantasy (including Sci-Fi) is understood and created. Both Star Wars and Harry Potter have been influenced by the original LOTR.

swede123
05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends whether you mean LOTR the books or the movies. it is very unlikely history will show the LOTR movies as having as much influence as Star Wars. But it's hard to overestimate the impact of the original novels, as they changed the way fantasy (including Sci-Fi) is understood and created. Both Star Wars and Harry Potter have been influenced by the original LOTR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much what I was going to say. If you are talking about the LOTR books that is easily the correct choice.

Swede

pryor15
05-03-2005, 04:03 PM
if you're talking about film, there's no way the answer can be anything other than 'star wars'.

if you're talking about books, then it has to be LOTR.

unless, of course, you want to make an arguement for 'other'.

Harry Potter shouldn't even be in this discussion. i doubt it would have even been written or filmed if not for the other 2.

CallMeIshmael
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Are we talking:

star wars vs LOTR movies?

or star wars vs LOTR in general?

If its the former, its star wars and its not close. If its the latter, then it is LOTR, and its somewhat close, but not really.

Catch of the Day
05-03-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Horrible poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually agree with you here, I couldn't really find the right way to word it at all, then I had to run out and take a few finals...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this entirely. This has to be the most widely read series of our time. It got children reading again as someone already stated. It hasn't been around enough to really change anything, and the movies themselves are really nothing but decent reproductions of the original. But you can't really minimize what J.K rowling has accomplished.

I guess I just wanted to discuss series' in general, like Harry Potter, LOTR, and Star wars...in relation to one another.

Catch-

tbach24
05-03-2005, 10:11 PM
In terms of books, 'arry Pot'er. Not even close. It's the only book not written by Ben Mezreich or Michael Lewis that I voluntarily read.

Catch of the Day
05-03-2005, 10:32 PM
in terms of books

This is where I also get confused because the lines seem to get really blurry these days. They sell the [censored] out of all good stories, and many mediocre ones as well. Movies just seem like a foregone conclusion to all marketable books.

I read the LOTR seriers before the movie, and then each book again before the corresponding movie was released. I still cannot say that I distingiush between the two. I have also read a couple of star Wars Books that really just helped cement my emersion into that fantasy world. Same thing pretty much goes with the HP series. Movies define book through visualization. How many people now see Vigo Mortenson as Aragorn, or Ewan McGregor as Obi Won, or Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter. I really don't think it matters so much what the medium is these days. If its a solid premise that people can lose themselves in, then that is what sells. The movie will follow the book, or the book will follow the movie. Each is the result of a public demand wanting more.

I just think its interesting stuff, thats all. Also, anyone read Eragon? It think its shows promise as a series.

Catch-

Phoenix1010
05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOTR hasn't had time to have much influence, but I'm confident that it will revolutionize the way that epic battle scenes are handled. Most of it had been done before, but at least that part will change the industry. It may even open the door for more 13 hour movies to be released.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct if you interpret the question to just be about how influential the movies have been. The LOTR books, on the other hand, nearly single handedly created (or revolutionized) the fantasy genre. LOTR was the basis for Dungeons and Dragons, which makes it the basis for all pen and paper role playing games, which makes it the Holy Grail to an entire legion of dorks. Dungeons and Dragons was also the basis for the first video games RPG's, and thus LOTR is responsible for one of largest and most successful video game genres. The fact that a large number of modern RPG's have some reference to "mythril metal" (among many other clues), is evidence that almost all "fantasy" products today owe themselves in some way to the LOTR books. Star Wars may have had a similar and greater effect on science fiction, but you can't shortchange the influence of LOTR.

tbach24
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I really wish I had never seen the HP movies. It basically ruined the whole thing for me. Not just because they suck, skip out major sections of the story, but also because it ruins my sexual fantasy of Ginny Weasley /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Catch of the Day
05-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Dungeons and Dragons was also the basis for the first video games RPG's, and thus LOTR is responsible for one of largest and most successful video game genres.

Never thought of this. Very interesting.

Catch-