PDA

View Full Version : OU baseball coach has to resign for using the n word

Sephus
05-03-2005, 06:56 AM
report (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2051357)

basically, he said "there's no nigger in him" about one of his black players. he also claims that he "never" uses that word and it just slipped out cause he heard it a long time ago.

in the article, the president is quoted "a good and caring man has made a terrible mistake for which he must assume responsibility."

is it a terrible mistake because he won't be able to keep his job or is it a terrible mistake because his comment did some kid of terrible damage to anyone except OUs and his reputation?

it was a terrible mistake only because everyone freaked out. if he had just held a small press conference to apologize and the university suspends him and whatnot it doesnt turn into a national story. but OU doesnt want to risk looking like it tolerates racism so they hold meetings with prominent blacks, etc and get people all worked up.

imagine being invited to one of those meetings. you go in, sit down, and the president gets up and says "brace yourselves everybody... our baseball coach... he did something terrible... he said... the "n" word!"

BTW, this is what tony gwynn said he felt about it: "Shocked. Absolutely shocked. On Saturday I heard about it but didn't know what was said. One of my players told me. In this day and age, I'm just shocked and disappointed. But it's not just in baseball. It's in everyday life. It's a shame. I'm stunned by it. My kids were asking me on Sunday morning about it and I told them about the experiences I had."

give me a break! the baseball coach is not necessarily a racist. a black coach could have made the EXACT SAME COMMENT and everyone would have understood what he meant and nobody would have cared.

istewart
05-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Clearly he owns a few slaves in his garage.

mmbt0ne
05-03-2005, 07:12 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
give me a break! the baseball coach is not necessarily a racist. a black coach could have made the EXACT SAME COMMENT and everyone would have understood what he meant and nobody would have cared.

[/ QUOTE ]

A black coach wouldn't have been stupid enough to make the comment. And even if he did, I'm 99% sure he would've been treated the same way. These coaches have to recruit the best and the brightest from across the nation, and if it's my school, I'm not letting someone who said that stay employed. If even 1 recruit refuses to come to school because of what the coach said then his actions have caused mroe harm to the team than he's worth.

istewart
05-03-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
These coaches have to recruit the best and the brightest from across the nation

[/ QUOTE ]

Who at Oklahoma fits that description?

juanez
05-03-2005, 07:17 AM
a black coach could have made the EXACT SAME COMMENT and everyone would have understood what he meant and nobody would have cared.

Ask bison about this....

mmbt0ne
05-03-2005, 07:23 AM
You're right, probably no one. You should go walk on.

istewart
05-03-2005, 07:27 AM
nh

bort411
05-03-2005, 07:43 AM
If you're stupid enough to make racist remarks to two different reporters from ESPN in the same day, you deserve to be fired. He lost his job because of gross stupidity, not racism. I'd bet money that in you're imaginary meetings the coach is called a "[censored] idiot" more than he is a "racist."

texasholdemnut
05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I understand your frustration, in this day and age, it's fine for Blacks to say whatever they want to each other, I have Black friends, I am not prejudice. But when were all setting around and shooting the sh$#, and they call each other the N word, I still know as a white man that if that word comes out of my mouth they will take offense. This is a day and age where you can have a movie called "White Men Can't Jump", and were supposed to laugh along, and we do because it's a joke. But come out with a movie called "Black Men Can't Whatever", and there will be a nationwide cry of discrimination. It's just how it is, I have never been politically correct, I think it's BS, but I have always tried to respect anyone, reguardless of the color of their skin. I doubt if the sufferage the blacks went through in this country will ever be forgiven, I wasn't here 60 years ago, or 130 years ago, but yet we bear the burden of what was done to them back then. Hopefully one day this can all be forgotten and we can all be brothers for the same cause, to drink, chase women, and bluff the river with 23os. :-)

jba
05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I understand your frustration, in this day and age, it's fine for Blacks to say whatever they want to each other, I have Black friends, I am not prejudice. But when were all setting around and shooting the sh$#, and they call each other the N word, I still know as a white man that if that word comes out of my mouth they will take offense. This is a day and age where you can have a movie called "White Men Can't Jump", and were supposed to laugh along, and we do because it's a joke. But come out with a movie called "Black Men Can't Whatever", and there will be a nationwide cry of discrimination. It's just how it is, I have never been politically correct, I think it's BS, but I have always tried to respect anyone, reguardless of the color of their skin. I doubt if the sufferage the blacks went through in this country will ever be forgiven, I wasn't here 60 years ago, or 130 years ago, but yet we bear the burden of what was done to them back then. Hopefully one day this can all be forgotten and we can all be brothers for the same cause, to drink, chase women, and bluff the river with 23os. :-)

[/ QUOTE ]

classic..

dude I know you mean well but your ignorance is pretty obvious. Hopefully the "burden" of having to remember not to make racial slurs will ease as you get older.

What this coach did is inexecusable and there's no way a southern college especially can allow this kind of behaviour. I'm not saying he's a racist but the comments that he made or intolerable.

Lazymeatball
05-03-2005, 09:57 AM
ha, i was about to make the same comment about "sufferage." Do you mean suffrage, as in the right to vote? And you wonder if that will ever be forgiven? reminds me of a man show sketch.

I also love the part about "I have black friends, I am not prejudice." Whether this statement is true or not, this is a horrible disclaimer to make right before you make racial comments, as no one who already thinks you are racist is going to believe it.

bort411
05-03-2005, 10:30 AM
I think you missed my point. It's not about political correctness and it's not about the abundance of freedoms blacks enjoy over whites (sarcasm).

When you have a career and are speaking on behalf of your employer (as a coach does whenever he is interviewed by the press), one needs to be careful of what is said. This is especially true when speaking to the media, lawyers, or insurance agents. The guy had a contract, and certainly violated at least one part of it when he gave his interviews, and probably previously broke it every time he called someone a nigger while wearing an OU uniform. When you break your contractual obligations you can lose your job.

iMsoLucky0
05-03-2005, 10:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I attend the University of Oklahoma. Bite me.

istewart
05-03-2005, 10:42 AM
rofl

ClassicBob
05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I attend the University of Oklahoma. Bite me.

[/ QUOTE ]