PDA

View Full Version : help the computer illiterate...cell phone as modem?

Skipbidder
05-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Hello.
I'm old and don't understand how these newfangled computer things work.
It's end-of-cellphone-contract-time.
One of my new phone options includes being able to use the phone as a modem.
Can I play poker this way via laptop?
Are there security issues?
Help a n00b out.
(Yes I did try to search for this and didn't find anything...although I likely screwed that up too.)

Freakin
05-03-2005, 05:21 AM
Generally this will not be cost effective. IIRC, you will need WAP from your cell phone provider, and will be paying for data instead of minutes. A cell phone uses digital compression, so using it as a true modem through audio tones will not work.

The best options involve getting a PCMCIA card for your laptop through verizon or cingular and paying for their premium mobile internet services (usually $80/mo for unlimited). I know for Cingular, at least, that their broadband-speeed connections requirea card that is $500-200(with 2 year contract). Or maybe it's only $400-200... Anyways, either that or Wifi are your best options.

Freakin

Stu Pidasso
05-03-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The best options involve getting a PCMCIA card for your laptop through verizon or cingular and paying for their premium mobile internet services (usually $80/mo for unlimited).

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the verizon card and its money well spent. I can play poker anywhere in the city. In fact, I'm using it right now with my laptop to browse this forum.

Stu

Sandstone
05-03-2005, 06:18 AM
I have a iPAQ h6315 PocketPC phone. With the built in bluetooth, I can connect it wirelessly to my laptop and use it as a GPRS modem.

How much do I pay? $20 a month for unlimited data from T-Mobile.

Can't beat that.

Skipbidder
05-03-2005, 10:17 AM
And the speed available will allow you to play poker?

Sandstone
05-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Eh, if I have a good connection, I can. There's definitely a noticable lag, but I think you're going to get that with any Internet connection over a cell network.

Stu Pidasso
05-03-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eh, if I have a good connection, I can. There's definitely a noticable lag, but I think you're going to get that with any Internet connection over a cell network.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I get at least 3 bars, I can 4 table no problem. 2 bars and I can still 4 table but I occasionally disconnect for a moment or two(I hardly ever disconnect to the point of using an all in with 2 bars). If I get 4 bars I can watch videos at EbaumsWorld.

One thing that helps is investing in a good external antenna.

Stu