PDA

View Full Version : Why do one-dollar coins make me angry?

youtalkfunny
05-03-2005, 02:02 AM
I got stuck with a Sacagawea coin today. Pissed me off.

Later in the day, I ran up a bill of $11.05 at Taco Bell. I gave the guy $21.05, expecting a Hamilton back. Instead I get a Lincoln, three Washingtons, two Sacagawea's, and a Susan B Anthony.

I was STEAMING. Swore all the way home.

When I tried to think of WHY I was upset, I couldn't think of one. Can't think of one argument against these coins. I just knew that I didn't want them. IOW, they're a great idea, as long as SOMEONE ELSE is using them.

I'm not one of those guys who is always saying, "But that's the way we've ALWAYS done it." I hate it when people say that to me.

ME: Why do we do it this way?
BOSS: That's the way we've always done it.
ME: That's the worst reason in the world to do anything!

But I can't think of any reason to get upset about dollar coins, except that they're not the way we've always handled money.

Dr. Strangelove
05-03-2005, 02:04 AM
Dollar: the new quarter.

JTrout
05-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Sounds like you got back too much change. Celebrate! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Non_Comformist
05-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Because a dollar is enough to care about but change is a burden to keep track of a tote around. Having cash is pleasing, having loose change is annoying.

liquidboss
05-03-2005, 02:26 AM
I know why I don't like them.

1. I would much rather have 9 dollar bills in my wallet then 9 [censored] coins jingling around in my pocket.

2. Beside the noise factor is the weight and bulk of coins compared to bills. I have so much [censored] in my pockets already I couldn't imagine how crazy I would look if the Taco Bell dude decided to give me change for my 20 in dollar coins.

3. I'm too lazy to go hunting for the dimes and quarters under my recliner very time I get up but the idea of having to chase dollar coins around is not something I relish.

4. It makes us too much like Canada.

JaBlue
05-03-2005, 03:12 AM
My guess is because you're like me and easily lose track of change because it is so burdensome. Because of this I often just give all my change to the tip jar regardless of the service.

brassnuts
05-03-2005, 03:21 AM
I personally believe that a) the dollar bill should be phased out and replaced by a dollar coin and b) pennies should be eliminated altogether.

augie00
05-03-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ME: Why do we do it this way?
BOSS: That's the way we've always done it.
ME: That's the worst reason in the world to do anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we do it this way? You NEVER mess with tradition.
-Chris Kasch

Apathy
05-03-2005, 03:31 AM
You guys don't even know... In Canada we don't have 1 AND 2 dollar coins, and no bills until the $5. It can get annoying having extra change sometimes but it's really not so bad. The bad part of it for me is that I will spend ten bucks in 'twonies' much easier and with much less descrision then I would spend a ten dollar bill.

Yobz
05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We found the answer.

purnell
05-03-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe that a) the dollar bill should be phased out and replaced by a dollar coin and b) pennies should be eliminated altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A dollar is change now. It's enough to buy a candy bar or soda. Two of them will get a load done at the laundromat. Coins last much longer than bills, thus costing us less in the long run. We will get used to it.

Pennies are utterly pointless. We should be rounding to the nearest nickel.

Reef
05-03-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe that a) the dollar bill should be phased out and replaced by a dollar coin

[/ QUOTE ]

STRIP CLUB?!

youtalkfunny
05-03-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you got back too much change. Celebrate! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, do I ever SUCK!!!

Jazza
05-03-2005, 05:13 AM
you americans should get rid of those damn pennies, and use $1 and $2 coins, that way, you never get more than 8 coins total in change, as opposed to how you have it now where you can get a total of 9 coins change

Eihli
05-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Or round to the nearest bill and get 0 coins in change, dumbass.

Jazza
05-03-2005, 06:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or round to the nearest bill and get 0 coins in change, dumbass.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't tell if you're sarcastic, but that's not a good idea

jakethebake
05-03-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know why I don't like them.

1. I would much rather have 9 dollar bills in my wallet then 9 [censored] coins jingling around in my pocket.

2. Beside the noise factor is the weight and bulk of coins compared to bills. I have so much [censored] in my pockets already I couldn't imagine how crazy I would look if the Taco Bell dude decided to give me change for my 20 in dollar coins.

3. I'm too lazy to go hunting for the dimes and quarters under my recliner very time I get up but the idea of having to chase dollar coins around is not something I relish.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly the correct answer! I hate coins. We should get rid of coins entirely and got to $.05, $.10, & $.25 bills.

M2d
05-03-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
would you rather have one ten dollar bill in your pocket or a five dollar bill, three ones and three dollar coins?

M2d
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Canada we don't have 1 AND 2 dollar coins

[/ QUOTE ]
we have nickles and dimes. pretty much the same buying power, right?

Jazza
05-03-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh SNAP!!

spamuell
05-03-2005, 11:13 AM
You guys don't even know... In Canada we don't have 1 AND 2 dollar coins

Come to the UK, we have £1 and £2 coins in common circulation. I actually like them though, you think you don't have any money and then you feel around your pockets and find you actually have quite a lot.

Jersey Nick
05-03-2005, 11:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally believe that a) the dollar bill should be phased out and replaced by a dollar coin

[/ QUOTE ]
STRIP CLUB?!

[/ QUOTE ]
Excellent point, Reef. Can you imagine the look you'd get trying to pass a SBA or Sac dollar off on a dancer?

Sponger15SB
05-03-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pennies are utterly pointless. We should be rounding to the nearest nickel.

[/ QUOTE ]

word. I hate pennies.

renodoc
05-03-2005, 12:29 PM
All of our coinage should make you angry because its inherently worthless. Back in the day when it was made of silver or gold the stuff rocked. When we started putting people on the coins instead of lady liberty the designs took a turn for the worst also. Look at some Barber coins, seated and standing libertys, Mercury dimes... our coins were awesome!!!! Now we have a fake gold Sacageweeeeha. yuck

rant over

A_C_Slater
05-03-2005, 12:38 PM
(swinging a baseball bat) "Get out of here with your friggin Sacajawea dollars!"

--Moe the bartender

razor
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't been paying attention to exchange rates, eh?