PDA

View Full Version : holdem and statistical logic (mason or others)

11-19-2002, 05:33 PM
I once read one of Mason's posts which read, "if you are nit raising AQ after players have already entered the pot when the action gets to you, then you are using statistical logic in your play. If not, you do not understand the concept." Well, I dont understand, so can someone explain how this is applicable in this situation?

11-19-2002, 06:10 PM
Assuming you meant "not" and not "nit," the play of not raising preflop behind several limpers under certain conditions is explained in HPFAP. You may want to read that, then come back with any questions concernig details. HTH.

11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
I have read HPFAP and I beleive the section you are talking about is dicussed under the section of playing in loose games, and how it it ususally correct to just call call here and keep the pot small in order to benifit you on other betting rounds. However that was not my question. I was curious how this related to statistical logic. If you could answer this great, if not maybe someone else can.

brad
11-19-2002, 08:02 PM
id like a detailed answer too

11-19-2002, 09:44 PM
Well, this isn't detailed, but as far as I know, "statistical logic" would just refer to the sort of logic involved in one way or another with statistics. Now, if this play makes you more than raising, it's because it does so on average. And "on average" would be an instance, albeit a very simple one, of statistical logic. I'm sure one could also look at other questions about the play and see them with regard to mean amount of money earned (EV basically), considerations of variance/standard deviation, and other statistical indices.

So, just a guess, but if Mason said that in a post maybe he was just talking about thinking in terms like that, which is how most students of the game think if they think at all mathematically. Or... maybe he wasn't talking about anything that simple. 'Course you could just email Mason and ask him to respond here, I guess.

11-20-2002, 03:39 AM
So, Benko thinks statistical logic relates to logical statistics, huh? What logic. I, for one,
am impressed. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Romo

11-20-2002, 03:05 PM

11-20-2002, 04:05 PM
No need to be hostile, romo. Perhaps you didn't read anon's question. He didn't ask, "What is statistical logic?" or "What does it relate to?" He asked, concerning the play in HPFAP, "I was curious how this related to statistical logic." I showed some ways in which it could relate to statistical logic. I guess I could have spelled out more about statistical logic, but I thought that was implicit in my other comments. (Statistical logic involves the analysis and comparison of grouped data, reducing them to manageable levels from which conclusions can be drawn, etc. If you think of poker in that way, you'll be thinking, as I said, in terms such as EV, variance, etc.) Hope that clarifies what I meant for you. Naturally, I can't say for sure how Mason was using the term.

Mason Malmuth
11-21-2002, 05:21 AM
I do at times talk about statistical logic, but I don't believe I ever made the specific statement that you give me credit for.

MM