PDA

View Full Version : I could NOT believe this

naphinfitos
05-02-2005, 09:29 PM
So I was playing some CCR on my laptop when my roomate walks in.
"What the hell is that [censored]?" he asks.
"WOW. This is CCR dude." I reply.

He stares at me blankly for a few seconds. "Never heard of them."

"HAHAHAHA, next you'll tell me you've never heard of Lynrd Skynrd" I say.

SILENCE

"Who are they?"

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Your roommate is a [censored] tool who knows nothing of music. Make sure not to discuss the subject with him again.

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 09:30 PM
must be a young dude.

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
OMG!

*yawn*

tbach24
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
He hadn't heard of Billy Joel either, right?

mason55
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
What is CCR? Is that anything like DDR?

That game is lame, I wouldn't admit I played it if I was you.

Lazymeatball
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
name one hit CCR song released within your roommate's life time? For the record I've heard some CCR, and I think they suck. Lynrd Skynrd rules though.

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
must be a young dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an excuse. I was listening to CCR, The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and other main-stream 60's/70's bands when I was 15 or 16.

Someone could get a pass for not knowing who The Troggs were, but not CCR. That's inexcusable.

istewart
05-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Name one Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin/Floyd song released within his roommate's lifetime? Not knowing CCR is unacceptable. At night, tie a rope around his neck and kill him in an alley.

kerssens
05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm 26, I've heard of CCR, I know I've heard songs, I couldn't tell you what any of them are.

Paluka
05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
I think CCR sucks-but not as bad as this thread.

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
name one hit CCR song released within your roommate's life time? For the record I've heard some CCR, and I think they suck. Lynrd Skynrd rules though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one bestseller published by Shakespeare in the last 50 years.

Lazymeatball
05-02-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you comparing "Down on the Corner" to Hamlet? This discussion is over.

Vince Young
05-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Yeah CCR is the Shakespeare of music.

Lazymeatball
05-02-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Name one Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin/Floyd song released within his roommate's lifetime? Not knowing CCR is unacceptable. At night, tie a rope around his neck and kill him in an alley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, how can you compare the Rolling Stones, Beatles or Led Zeppelin to CCR in terms of success and hit songs? That is just an idiotic example. And Pink Floyd probably did actually release some songs during his lifetime. You suck at this game.

DemonDeac
05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
That's just plain wrong
People like that don't deserve to live
And I'm being serious

I get some much [censored] for listening to bands like CCR, but everyone can go [censored] themselves

mason55
05-02-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And Pink Floyd probably did actually release some songs during his lifetime.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last good Pink Floyd original release was The Wall in 1979, unless you count the 80's reissue of Dark Side of the Moon.

If you mean any work whatsover, yes, Floyd did as well as the Rolling Stones

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying CCR are the musical equivalent to Shakespeare, but I'm drawing a valid comparison with respect to the fact that popularity is not an accurate measure of merit.

Secondly, it seems that your problem is you associate CCR with "Down On The Corner" whereas I associate them with "Fortunate Son" and "Bad Moon Rising" - songs which reflect the sociology of the Viet Nam era. More importantly, their music is just damned good. Riffs from songs like "Green River" are some of the most well known in all of Rock&Roll. To wit, you might not be able to recall it right now, but if it were played for you you'd say you've heard it a thousand times.

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah CCR is the Shakespeare of music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to miss the point.

antidan444
05-02-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm 25. I'd never heard of CCR before this thread.

I've never claimed to be a music expert, so if someone wants to accuse someone else of not being a music expert because they don't know this band, fine. But in general, I don't think it's all that astonishing that some people my age have no idea who CCR is.

istewart
05-02-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, how can you compare the Rolling Stones, Beatles or Led Zeppelin to CCR in terms of success and hit songs? That is just an idiotic example. And Pink Floyd probably did actually release some songs during his lifetime. You suck at this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not comparing them. Your argument was that since they didn't have any hit songs during his lifetime, he shouldn't know CCR is. I was pointing out that your argument sucked. Not knowing "Fortunate Son," for example, is a crime.

Bringing up crappy 1980s Pink Floyd songs doesn't help your case. And learn to spell Lynyrd Skynyrd.

thrillhouse7
05-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Quick! Perform CPR!

I feel a bad moon rising.

That's CCR!

Voltron87
05-02-2005, 10:22 PM
birdman just called me: "who the [censored] are CCR? buncha bitch ass white boys prally."

fluxrad
05-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Meh...I think we just have to let it go.

These are people who didn't know Jefferson was an airplane before it was a starship. Hell, for that matter they probably didn't know it was anything but Starship.

hunterking
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I was playing some CCR on my laptop when my roomate walks in.
"What the hell is that [censored]?" he asks.
"WOW. This is CCR dude." I reply.

He stares at me blankly for a few seconds. "Never heard of them."

"HAHAHAHA, next you'll tell me you've never heard of Lynrd Skynrd" I say.

SILENCE

"Who are they?"

[/ QUOTE ]

if someone really didn't know about Lynyrd Skynyrd, they would assume Lynyrd Skynyrd is a he, not a "they"

hk

mason55
05-02-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if someone really didn't know about Lynrd Skynrd, they would assume Lynyrd Skynyrd is a he, not a "they"

hk

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone really knew about Lynyrd Skynyrd they would know it's spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd

hunterking
05-02-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if someone really didn't know about Lynrd Skynrd, they would assume Lynyrd Skynyrd is a he, not a "they"

hk

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone really knew about Lynyrd Skynyrd they would know it's spelled Lynyrd Skynyrd

[/ QUOTE ]you posted while i was editing...i copied/pasted from the original post(notice even in your quote i spelled it his way the 1st time, the right way the 2nd time)...and 2nd of all, i couldn't really care less about them, i was just pointing out a flaw with the premise of this whole ridiculous thread....

hk

Sundevils21
05-02-2005, 11:43 PM
I've never heard of CCR. Is that short for something?
Do I get a pass for being 20?

tbach24
05-02-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of CCR. Is that short for something?
Do I get a pass for being 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

Creedance Clearwater Revival. And no because Naphinfitos's roomate is 18 or 19, I can't remember the exact number.

ClaytonN
05-02-2005, 11:45 PM
I've heard of CCR, but not their music.

Kinda like I've heard of the kinks, but did not know they sang the song "You really got me now"

ChoicestHops
05-02-2005, 11:45 PM
People can be very surprsing when it comes to music. I was talking to a girl at my work one time who just turned 18 and did not know who Led Zeppelin was. I can understand with some people about CCR, but Led Zeppelin?

tbach24
05-02-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of CCR, but not their music.

Kinda like I've heard of the kinks, but did not know they sang the song "You really got me now"

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinks...Lola, Sunny Afternoon, You really got me now. That's all I can name. I think they grew up in the same town as my dad.

stabn
05-02-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 26, I've heard of CCR, I know I've heard songs, I couldn't tell you what any of them are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-02-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He hadn't heard of Billy Joel either, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFL

Lazymeatball
05-03-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying CCR are the musical equivalent to Shakespeare, but I'm drawing a valid comparison with respect to the fact that popularity is not an accurate measure of merit.

Secondly, it seems that your problem is you associate CCR with "Down On The Corner" whereas I associate them with "Fortunate Son" and "Bad Moon Rising" - songs which reflect the sociology of the Viet Nam era. More importantly, their music is just damned good. Riffs from songs like "Green River" are some of the most well known in all of Rock&Roll. To wit, you might not be able to recall it right now, but if it were played for you you'd say you've heard it a thousand times.

[/ QUOTE ]

because I like to argue about nothing over the internet:

Who is discussing the merit of music here? we are discussing whether it is shocking and amazing that a guy under the age of 20 would not know who CCR is. Since CCR has not been popular at all during this guy's lifetime, and he's not some sort of rock music historian, why is it shocking or unnacceptable for him to have never heard of this mildly popular at the time band from 30-40 years ago.

I don't know 'Fortunate Son' off hand, and 'Bad moon Rising' sounds familiar. I do have 'Green River' downloaded as it's a pretty decent song with the minor exception of all vocals.

and for istewart, your post had no implication on my point as your examples were horrible, and this follow up post does nothing to refute that. And I copied my spelling of Lynrd Skynrd from the OP who was incorrect.

soah
05-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm 22 and I have no idea who CCR is/was, although the names of some of those songs sound familiar.

JimGil
05-03-2005, 11:09 AM
CCR are the American Beatles.

Yes. They're that good.

Sykes
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CCR are the American Beatles.

Yes. They're that good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite possibly the worst post on any message board ever.

purnell
05-03-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's just plain wrong
And I'm being serious

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a gifted haikuist

purnell
05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Noo biggie mon. That stuff really is old. I'm 37 and it was before my time. CCR will be remembered among the great bands of their time. The songs will live a long time- every itinerant guitar-playing drunk can do at least half a dozen of them.

soah
05-03-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's just plain wrong
And I'm being serious

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that *none* of the lines are the correct length.

edit:

It's not a haiku
Because all the lines are wrong
So STFU

purnell
05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I don't think it matters. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku)

&USTFU

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RacersEdge
05-03-2005, 01:31 PM
IF you've been to a baseball game and they play "Centerfield" over the sound system, you've heard CCR.

wayabvpar
05-03-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IF you've been to a baseball game and they play "Centerfield" over the sound system, you've heard CCR.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is John Fogerty (lead singer), but not the rest of CCR.

soah
05-03-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it matters. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku)

&USTFU

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Two of his lines were too long, and according to that link, that makes his "haiku" even more wrong.

masse75
05-03-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not--it's much closer to King Lear.

masse75
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's just plain wrong
And I'm being serious

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Moran...Haiku is 5-7-5. Not even close.

PoBoy321
05-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Jefferson what?

B Dids
05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't like CCR much, and Skynard even less, but it's a matter of cultural literacy to know who these bands are.

fluxrad
05-03-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we are discussing whether it is shocking and amazing that a guy under the age of 20 would not know who CCR is. Since CCR has not been popular at all during this guy's lifetime, and he's not some sort of rock music historian, why is it shocking or unnacceptable for him to have never heard of this mildly popular at the time band from 30-40 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

First. They weren't mildly popular. From 68-71 CCR had ten Top-10 hits. Their duration spanned from the late 60's to their breakup in (IIRC) '76. This is akin to calling Pearl Jam or Nirvana mildly popular (yes, I'm comparing all three bands in relation to how they stand in their respective times).

And just to reiterate since you're correct that we digressed: I think it's a complete goddamned travesty that someone that kid's age doesn't know who CCR is. I think it's a complete goddamned travesty that kids these days don't know who Grandmaster Flash is, or George Clinton, or Cream, or Skinny Puppy, or Django Reinhardt, or any of a hundred artists they should be listening to instead of the latest overproduced shite from the likes of <insert random rap artist who spells their name wrong>.

FWIW - I'm 25.

This thread makes me feel like I'm 60.

Lazymeatball
05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
If everyone listened to good music like you suggested, then what would you listen to in order to give yourself a sense of superiority over the masses?

bicyclekick
05-03-2005, 10:37 PM
I cannot believe you put so much stake in knowing a freaking band. Very pathetic. Especially one that played 30something years ago or whatever.

Even more pathetic that you decided to share this with 2+2.

Vince Young
05-03-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If everyone listened to good music like you suggested, then what would you listen to in order to give yourself a sense of superiority over the masses?

[/ QUOTE ]
NICE

fluxrad
05-03-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch man. Now that's just mean.

And FWIW, it's not superiority. It's disappointment.

Blarg
05-04-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we are discussing whether it is shocking and amazing that a guy under the age of 20 would not know who CCR is. Since CCR has not been popular at all during this guy's lifetime, and he's not some sort of rock music historian, why is it shocking or unnacceptable for him to have never heard of this mildly popular at the time band from 30-40 years ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

First. They weren't mildly popular. From 68-71 CCR had ten Top-10 hits. Their duration spanned from the late 60's to their breakup in (IIRC) '76. This is akin to calling Pearl Jam or Nirvana mildly popular (yes, I'm comparing all three bands in relation to how they stand in their respective times).

And just to reiterate since you're correct that we digressed: I think it's a complete goddamned travesty that someone that kid's age doesn't know who CCR is. I think it's a complete goddamned travesty that kids these days don't know who Grandmaster Flash is, or George Clinton, or Cream, or Skinny Puppy, or Django Reinhardt, or any of a hundred artists they should be listening to instead of the latest overproduced shite from the likes of <insert random rap artist who spells their name wrong>.

FWIW - I'm 25.

This thread makes me feel like I'm 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

CCR music has been featured in a ton of movies, too. Not knowing CCR is also a kind of film illiteracy, not just movie illiteracy. CCR was very popular in its day. If you don't know them, you definitely have a gap in your knowledge of American music. Their stuff still holds up today, by the way. I'll just list two movies below where CCR was integral to the effect of the movie. Check out movies from or about the 60's and 70's and you'll likely hear CCR in there somewhere, though.

Robert Stone's "Dog Soldiers," probably the biggest Vietnam novel, was turned into "Who'll Stop the Rain," starring Nick Nolte and Tuesday Weld. CCR's song of the same name was in the film.

"Bad Moon Rising" has been used in so many films and t.v. shows it's beyond counting, but probably most famously in "An American Werewolf in London," a huge John Landis hit.

A couple more of their songs off the top of my ahead, in addition to those:

Rolling on the River
Green River
Fortunate Son
Suzy Q(Buddy Holly original as I recall)

I'm too tired to think of others.

Anyway, they're good and they were very popular both in their day and long after. It's a real simple kind of rock, kind of like the real simple kind of blues that can hang around forever and still be worth hearing.

rmarotti
05-04-2005, 05:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should seriously consider killing yourself.