PDA

View Full Version : Resume assistance

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Okay, I am currently looking for a better, more permanent job here in Portland and I want to get some help on the content and overall flow of my resume. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Overview
I am an extremely hard worker that works well with or without supervision. I take pride in the job I do, and work diligently to finish all tasks assigned to me. I am very computer literate and have experience using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, and MAS. I am a quick learner and able to adapt to changing work environments and conditions.

Experience
Feb 2005- Current Volt Services Tigard, OR
Picker
I currently work as a picker for Menlo Worldwide at Nike Golf’s distribution center in Tigard. I prepare orders from customers all over the U.S. and go and pick their orders in preparation for them to be shipped out.

Dec 2003- Jan 2005 Routh Crabtree Olsen Bellevue, WA
Legal Assistant
As a legal assistant my main responsibility was to provide support for two paralegals and one attorney. I had to create legal documents and send them out to plaintiffs as well as county courts. In addition to this, I also opened up new files, and set up clients in our database. I also had to contact various county title companies and other attorney’s offices for legal documents. This was a demanding job with several deadlines that I had to meet on a weekly basis.

Oct 2002- Dec 2003 Routh Crabtree Olsen Bellevue, WA
Support Services
I provided clerical support to several foreclosure teams. This included filing, copying, and faxing documents. I also assisted in sorting and delivering mail. In addition, I also provided additional help at the receptionist desk.

Aug 2001- Sept 2002 Office Depot Bellevue, WA
Consultative Sales Representative
Provided customer service and guidance in the furniture department to customers. Stocked and maintained product in the furniture department. This also included some inventory management.

Education
2002-2005 Bellevue Community College Bellevue, WA
I have received an associate’s degree in arts and sciences from Bellevue Community College.

kerssens
05-02-2005, 08:19 PM
What kind of job are you gonna be looking for?

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I thought the use of bullets would be better than paragraphs as in my experience most employers initially want to scan resumes looking for the desired skills. I also thought the overview is too long and not needed if using a cover letter.

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 08:24 PM
basically anything, but mostly likely something in the legal field.

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also thought the overview is too long and not needed if using a cover letter.

[/ QUOTE ] I never had a cover letter before, so now that I do maybe I will get rid of it.

kerssens
05-02-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I also thought the overview is too long and not needed if using a cover letter.

[/ QUOTE ] I never had a cover letter before, so now that I do maybe I will get rid of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave the computer stuff in there in a section like "relevant skills" or something.

BadBoyBenny
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
For staters, never say you had to do anything, it makes it sound like you aren't a happy worker.

[ QUOTE ]
I had to create legal documents and send them out to plaintiffs as well as county courts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use a lot more action words when writing about your experience.

[ QUOTE ]
As a legal assistant my main responsibility was to provide support for two paralegals and one attorney. I had to create legal documents and send them out to plaintiffs as well as county courts. In addition to this, I also opened up new files, and set up clients in our database. I also had to contact various county title companies and other attorney’s offices for legal documents. This was a demanding job with several deadlines that I had to meet on a weekly basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would write something like...

As a legal assistant I provided support for two paralegals and one attorney. I created legal documents <more specific here might be good> and sent them to plaintiffs and county courts. In addition to this, I opened up new files and entered clients into our database. I also contacted various county title companies and other attorney’s offices for legal documents. Despite this job's many challenges, I consistently met tight deadlines.

Rhone
05-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Get rid of the overview section.

Sometimes people will put a "career objectives" section, or something similar, at the top of their resume, but I've never liked this because it limits you.

List your computer skills, and other skills you'd like to emphasize, in separate sections below work experience and education. Don't leave things off if you think they will help you: foreign languages? travel? volunteer experience? these are just some examples.

Most importantly, research the places you're looking to apply to and tailor your resume to what you think they want.

Zeno
05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Gawd, Salt that is very bad stuff.

The little you have for an overview is more befitting for the cover letter.

Here are headings that you need to section out your resume.

Name and address and e-mail etc info.

Small synopsis (few sentences) of work experience total number of years etc.

Outlined your work experience/employment history. Do this in small block paragraphs in cronological order from most recent to ..... give a brief detail on responsiblities, duties, the position you held etc. Four to Eight sentences should be all that is necessary.

Section on Education. Just state the facts.

Section on training/credentials/skills. As above.

Section on Key Projects. Emphasize your strong points and skills on important projects or accomplishments.

Section on Awards, Publications, or other kudos etc if necessary or warranted.

Keep the resume to two pages or three pages max. Be consise and to the point. No frills.

-Zeno

sublime
05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Overview
I am an extremely hard worker that works well with or without supervision. I take pride in the job I do, and work diligently to finish all tasks assigned to me. I am very computer literate and have experience using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, and MAS. I am a quick learner and able to adapt to changing work environments and conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see why you dont become an affiliate. you seem to get along well with people, start making some friggin money. the boom after this years WSOP is going to be big.

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
I have heard its not good to have a resume longer than one page, thoughts on that?

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
dude, everyone is an affiliate, why would they sign up with me?

sublime
05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
dude, everyone is an affiliate, why would they sign up with me?

there are so many players who

A) play poker but not online
B) have no idea what rakeback is (which party is gonna defuse soon anyways)

its not like your selling vaccum cleaners door to door. you seeling partypoker, which sells itself.

just an idea bro

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard its not good to have a resume longer than one page, thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't look like something you need to worry about either way right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 09:00 PM
yeah its a thought, too bad party is getting rid of it.

sublime
05-02-2005, 09:05 PM
yeah its a thought, too bad party is getting rid of it.

nawww, they are getting rid of rakeback. not affiliates. they want affiliates, just no ones who pay people rakeback. of course it would take a considerable amount of time and work to set up anything resembleing a steady paycheck, but its good side/residual income. im gonna be running an ad in the classifieds setting people up as affiliates and showing them how to promote party and get sign ups etc. ill let ya know when i do.

EDIT:

for an example of what i mean, check out my site that i am working on:

bostongambler (http://www.bostongambler.com)

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 09:08 PM
sounds good man, thanks.

Zeno
05-02-2005, 09:10 PM
If one page is enough then go with that and it is usually fine. If you have worked for 20 years then a two page resume is sort of expected or anticipated. I would advise working on a one page resume. If you can't get everything in one page that you really think you need, then expand.

Good Luck Salt. I think you will do fine. It will just take some time to get it right. And do spend the time to make your resume the best it can be - it is your 'face'. Keep that in mind.

-Zeno

ThaSaltCracka
05-02-2005, 09:16 PM
thanks Zeno.

SackUp
05-02-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, keep it to one page unless you have tons of really pertinent stuff to put on there. It looks like more than 1 page won't be a problem for you.

Take the advice of what Zeno said. This is what my resume looks like

Name/Address in bold at the top

Education with subheading of Class rank and Honors and Activities

Experience - Listed choronlogically with a brief synopsis of each.

Language

Community Involvement

Interests - this is a good one to open up discussion so they can get to know you as a person.

GL.

jakethebake
05-02-2005, 09:21 PM
I thought oot was your resume? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

RacersEdge
05-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Get rid of the "I's" in there. Who else would have done those things?? Make it bullet points and add in some results - not just what tasks you performed.

ripdog
05-03-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Overview

Experience
Feb 2005- Current Volt Services Tigard, OR
Picker
I currently work as a picker for Menlo Worldwide at Nike Golf’s distribution center in Tigard. I prepare orders from customers all over the U.S. and go and pick their orders in preparation for them to be shipped out.

Dec 2003- Jan 2005 Routh Crabtree Olsen Bellevue, WA
Legal Assistant

Oct 2002- Dec 2003 Routh Crabtree Olsen Bellevue, WA
Support Services
I provided clerical support to several foreclosure teams. This included filing, copying, and faxing documents. I also assisted in sorting and delivering mail. In addition, I also provided additional help at the receptionist desk.

Aug 2001- Sept 2002 Office Depot Bellevue, WA
Consultative Sales Representative
Provided customer service and guidance in the furniture department to customers. Stocked and maintained product in the furniture department. This also included some inventory management.

Education
2002-2005 Bellevue Community College Bellevue, WA
I have received an associate’s degree in arts and sciences from Bellevue Community College.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get rid of the overview--this belongs in a cover letter which should be personalized to the position that you're applying for. Yes, keep it to one page unless they want it in a format that looks decent as two or more.

Here's how my resume is arranged:

Header--name, address, phone, email

Objective--To obtain employment or work experience in...

Education--show GPA if it's good, major?

Experience--get creative with descriptions (picker? Much of what you have here sounds a bit rough)

Honors--Dean's list, honor society membership, etc.

References--Professional and personal references available upon request

I would assume that you'll be competing against other well qualified applicants and would recommend that you make sure that your grammar and spelling are immaculate. Do some research on the firms that you want to work for. Do you know any friends of the principles? Call them up and say "Joe Blow suggested that I call you for an informational interview. I'm interested in working in this field and would like to get your perspective." I'd bet that most people will give you some face time. Use it wisely. Find out what their ideal candidate is and try to become that. Check out this link:

State of Washington Job Finding Tips (http://hr.dop.wa.gov/jobtips/)

PassiveCaller
05-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Few comments. I haven't really read all the posts but...

Let's start with:
-Get rid of I totally. It's very informal and makes everything sound like crap.
-Avoid restating the position in the descriptions
-New format
Header
Objective (what type of position you want)
Work Experience
Relevant Skills
Education

Brief rant/example:

I have my objective which lists the type of positions I'm looking for then a brief summary of my core proficencies in that position and then go on to accentuate those points with what I've done in my previous positions.

Eg: You read my core proficencies then can go look at my experience and see why those are my core proficencies and what's built upon them.

Keep it concise and to the point.

Think of it as a piece trying to advertise you and try to make it flow. The best resumes the points build upon each other and are easy to follow.

Cyrus
05-03-2005, 04:09 AM
unless you are shooting for truly higher up positions.

But, then, your resume would be, by default, at least three pages long. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Trust me, you have a fine resume already.

Cyrus
05-03-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard its not good to have a resume longer than one page.

[/ QUOTE ]

A myth - perpetuated by Dogbert and other evil HR consultants. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

One page is actually too little. (Approx. one third of it will go to formal personal info - name, address, contact phone, marital status, etc. Not much left for the interesting stuff.) Three pages is too long; you'd really need to have juicy stuff in there. (Can you spell "over-qualified"?) A comfortable two-pager is absolutely fine.

Cyrus
05-03-2005, 04:25 AM
I found your "overview" very well written, to the point (stating what the interviewer is interested to hear) and concise. Don't change it.

I will mention one different thing, which you might already know, and it's about the personal interview. Do not under any circumstances allow your qualities to "slowly creep up" during the course of the interview. Hard facts do matter but the personal interview is not about verifying if you did actually went to Bellevue! As you already know, it's about gauging your character and personality. So, one single hint and skip the rest of the post if you're already on top of it: make a good impression from the start. Affable, easy-going but serious, self-confident, etc, you can and should project all that from the get go. (I'm not suggesting that you should hammer your qualities over the interviewer's head but that you be forward with your qualities right away.)

PS : Wipe hands on pants before shaking hands.

The Goober
05-03-2005, 05:00 AM
My $0.02 (because I feel like giving out advice, and I suck at poker).

None of it should be in sentences - everything should be bullet points with "action words" (which sounds stupider than it us). I think Word has a resume template - this is what I used and it'll show you the best way to organize. Also, I think its best to leave out stuff about being a hard worker and finishing all tasks. If you come across as confident about your experience and abilities then this will be a given.

For example, take your second job. I would do it like this:

Dec 2003 - Jan 2005 Routh Crabtree Olsen Bellevue, WA
Legal Assistant
- provided support for two paralegals one attorney
- created and distributed legal documents
- maintained client database

The thing about a resume is that its purpose isn't to get you hired, its purpose is to get you an interview. It's okay if it's missing details, its just needs to be enough to make a potential employer think that you are worth the time to sit down and talk to. In my experience its virtually always the interview that'll make or break the decision.

With that in mind, I've always felt that the resume should be easy to scan over and see qualifications, and that it should be one page (but a lot of people seem to think differently, here, so maybe I'm wrong). I always imagine a stressed manager sitting at their desks with a huge pile of cover letter/resumes that they are trying to sort through. When they pick up yours, your cover letter should create an immediate impression that you are serious about the job and not an idiot, and then the resume should support that with verifiable details and experiences. Then you get thrown into the "maybe" pile and not the clown pile. Then later when someone looks it over more closely, they should think "we should at least bring this guy and talk to him". After that, it's all you.

One last thing, you should definately tailor the resume to the job you are applying for. In my experience, people who start a job search looking for nothing in particular usually don't end up with good jobs. Even if you change your mind a lot, you should pick something and go for it. I think that the future employers will sense this. Most people want to hire someone who really wants to this particular job, not someone who's attitude is "well, I was unemployed so I thought I'd give this a shot - wanna hire me?".

Shajen
05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
One thing you might want to consider TSC is tailoring your resume to each position you are seriously interested in.

Of course, take a default resume and blast it out there as your standard, but if something comes up you are really interested in, tailor it to that specific job.

It sucks doing this, but it really does help.

GL bro.