PDA

View Full Version : I checkraised him twice, is that a good play in this situation?

veganmav
05-02-2005, 07:28 PM
MP1 is an overly agressive player who plays any Ace and a wide variety of marginal hands. Whenever he is heads up he will be even more agressive, by semi-bluffing and pure-bluffing if he thinks he can get you to fold.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7h 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
MP1 has Js Kd (two pair, jacks and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.50 BB. </font>

I figured I could checkraise the river because he will almost always bet the river HU to try to steal the pot, the only thing I'm wondering is, maybe I shouldn't have check-raised because even if he did bet, maybe he wouldn't call my raise? but seeing as he doesn't give people much credit, I decided to go for it. In this case it earned me an extra 1 or even maybe 2 big bets, if he would have folded to a river bet, but I'm not sure it was the right play, what do you all think? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

RiverTheNuts
05-02-2005, 07:30 PM
I probably lead this river...no one but a total donk bets that river with a jack, but you were playing a donk, so congrats, if he has JQ you might even get to bet/3-bet

veganmav
05-02-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I probably lead this river...no one but a total donk bets that river with a jack, but you were playing a donk, so congrats, if he has JQ you might even get to bet/3-bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always lead this river too, but I thought I could squeeze an extra bet out of this guy...

KDawgCometh
05-02-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would almost always lead this river too, but I thought I could squeeze an extra bet out of this guy...

[/ QUOTE ]
but do you think it'd be likely for him to raise you on the river? if it is then leading the river is smart as you can get even more out of him

veganmav
05-02-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
but do you think it'd be likely for him to raise you on the river? if it is then leading the river is smart as you can get even more out of him

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is 3betting this river with only a jack, on this board.

Johnny Richter
05-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm leading the river as well.

MattC
05-02-2005, 08:30 PM
usually (at least as far as i know) you want to check raise when either a) you want to limit the field or b) you think that your opponents hand has improved in such a way that you can still beat what he has but also that he will bet. or c) you have improved in such a way that your opponents are most likely unaware of.

you showed quiet a bit of strength on the turn, if all he had was a jack what stops him from showing down here? did you put him on qj?

take his perspective: a guy just check raised me on the turn and i only just called, can i bluff him out of this pot still even so there is really no big changes to the board?

given the way youve played the hand up to this point (note: preflop) its very likely you have a 6 and middle pair is only good for a showdown here. and its unlikely villian hit a queen here and if he did your still better off betting the river because then he might very well raise you and then you can 3 bet him.

veganmav
05-02-2005, 08:36 PM
I concede, you're right, betting out is better for lots of reasons. Check-raise worked in this instance, but it probably wouldn't be the best play in the long run.

Yodaman
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
How about leading this flop, call a 2-bet and checkraise the turn?

NickRegino
05-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Lol i think its funny how you got the cr in 2x, thats original.

veganmav
05-03-2005, 08:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How about leading this flop, call a 2-bet and checkraise the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's doubtful that anyone would 2bet if i lead the flop dude

crunchy1
05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I was about to write a long flame post but I digress....

I think this is all pretty horrible!?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

lead the flop, lead the river - nuff said.

Chris Dow
05-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah this is pretty much all fancy unnecessaryness. Wow that word was butchered. Take a more straight forward line unless you're just cring for fun and to brag (which is entertaining, but cr 3 times before you post the hand, cring the same dude 3 times is the nuts)

bet/call, c/r, bet.

brettbrettr
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
unnecessaryness

[/ QUOTE ]
nh.

Ivanapolis
05-03-2005, 10:57 AM
You fooled this guy delightfully. Nice play! I like the chk-r on the river!

Fat Nicky
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
you should have check-raised the flop as well to execute the trifecta.