PDA

View Full Version : I want some feedback

MEbenhoe
05-02-2005, 06:53 PM
What did you all think of my article "The Value of Taking a Break from Poker"? It was the first article I've written and I really enjoyed writing it, so I'd like to write more in the future. So I'd like to hear some comments on what you all thought, both good and bad. Things you really liked, and things I should improve upon in future writing.

Thanks

Matt

GrannyMae
05-02-2005, 08:10 PM
matt,

just read it and loved it.

flow was great and more importantly, it dealt with a subject for all 'mortals'

don't get me wrong, i love the expert columns and advice, but it is refreshing to see something written that discusses and makes suggestions for a situation based on a reality that we ALL can relate to.

from your column..

[ QUOTE ]
The games will be there when you get back, and you will be ready to attack them with a newfound vigor.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would love to see you do a follow up on what kind of specific changes should be made when the break is over. for instance, i was taught a long time ago that when discipline starts to slip, i need to play only top 10 hands. i'm not saying that this is a valid suggestion, i'm just pointing to an example of something that you could give us as advice for when we return.

seems to me that there are great arguments you presented for the value of the break. now follow it up with a blueprint or plan of exact changed behaivors when entering the saddle again.

you write very well imo. nice job

TomCollins
05-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Coming from someone on a break, it really hit the spot.

ptmusic
05-02-2005, 09:18 PM
I also liked it. I plan on using it if I ever hit a(nother) downswing /images/graemlins/cool.gif (and maybe even before I do).

-ptmusic

ptmusic
05-02-2005, 09:22 PM
2 questions:

1. Do you think 2 weeks is the optimal length of a break, or is that just what you arbitrarily did?

2. Did you avoid poker in every possible way - tv, books, forums, daydreams...?

-ptmusic

warlockjd
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
A break is often just what the doctor ordered, for both full-timers and part-timers. Great Explanations. Unfortunately, I had to learn this the hard way when I was coming up.

3 weeks ago, I dropped 1/3 of my bankroll, (no jobbie here), so I took a break and I did not touch a card for 6 days.

Then, I started grinding hardcore, and today finally reclaimed that cash and then some.

Without that break, it could have easily been tilt city, and me having to drop down in stakes.

Mason Malmuth
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Hi matt:

I liked it enough to publish it. That's feedback right there.

best wishes,
Mason

MEbenhoe
05-02-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 questions:

1. Do you think 2 weeks is the optimal length of a break, or is that just what you arbitrarily did?

[/ QUOTE ]

2 weeks at the time was just arbitrarily picked, but looking back at it, I think 1-2 weeks is generally a good time period to do the sufficient job. However, depending on the case at times it might just be a day or two that is needed, while for others it may be a month or more under extreme circumstances.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Did you avoid poker in every possible way - tv, books, forums, daydreams...?

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

zero hands, zero tv, no books. I did on occassion read the forums here, but I mainly hung out in OOT, and probably didn't make a single poker related post during that time.

Lawrence Ng
05-02-2005, 10:29 PM
I enjoyed it enough as well Matt.

My suggestion for any follow up write ups would be to including a paragraph or two about dropping down to much smaller limits to regain confidence when things aren't running well regain confidence. As well, maybe you can mention how keeping track of records and going back to them to tell oneself that one is a winning player will help (well..that is if one has a winning record and not a losing record)

Lawrence

TaggedYa
05-03-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As well, maybe you can mention how keeping track of records and going back to them to tell oneself that one is a winning player will help (well..that is if one has a winning record and not a losing record)

[/ QUOTE ]

It is even more importaint if you have a losing record. Take your break from play and hit the books.

Tag

gergery
05-04-2005, 03:11 PM
I thought it was excellent.

maybe too short, and I'd prefer to have seen some add'l info on how you can tell you need to take a break.

BarronVangorToth
05-04-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe too short

[/ QUOTE ]

While he certainly could expand on the topic and write thousands of words on it, eyeballing the article it looks pretty close to 1,000 words which is number posted.

It reads fast - which is, I believe especially in this case, the sign of an enjoyable read as it does fly by, despite being the aforementioned length.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)
Every "On the Edge" has started off as 2,000 words and then been cut down by him to around 1100 seeing as how he has the habit of not only talking about himself in the third person but also creating run-on sentences with seemingly no end and oftentimes little point.

imported_Robert Andersson
05-09-2005, 07:30 PM
It is very nice to read your useful thoughts. It is very important to things with passion, and if you cant find that passion for the game the best thing to do is to take a break. I think this way of thinking is correct in many moments of life.

/robert