PDA

View Full Version : Time Traveler Convention

DBowling
05-02-2005, 06:29 PM
MIT Time Traveler Convention (http://web.mit.edu/adorai//timetraveler/)

Sounds like a good idea, sort of. But i dont think anyone from the future would attend for fear of messing with the timeline.

daryn
05-02-2005, 06:34 PM
i should totally dress up in some elaborate space suit and show up.

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
I was trying to think about something that could be used as proof. I then realized that MIT guys are unlikely to be fooled by a drawing of a Flux Capacitor

krazyace5
05-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Since in theory I can go anytime, I think I'll go next year.

You know what they say, why do it this yr when you can do it next yr...does anyone say that?

Anyway, see ya Sunday..er.. I mean next yr!?!

daryn
05-02-2005, 06:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Since in theory I can go anytime, I think I'll go next year.

You know what they say, why do it this yr when you can do it next yr...does anyone say that?

Anyway, see ya Sunday..er.. I mean next yr!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

you can't go anytime, unless you have a time machine. if you don't have access to a time maching you have to go on may 7th.

SpearsBritney
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Things to expect to see there:

1. Nerds
2. Lots of shiny costumes
3. Some loser's piece of sh;t DeLorean
4. At least 10 homemade flux capacitors
5. A complete absence of women
6. Triumph The Insult Comic Dog
7. Alex Winter in a pathetic attempt to restart his career
8. Someone's actual attempt to build a real time machine
9. DBowling
10. Blackwolf The Dragonmaster

MEbenhoe
05-02-2005, 07:16 PM
So if I'm destined to invent a time machine, and in the future I would come back to this convention, does that mean I'd be at the convention now? What if I turn on the news and see myself there? Would I be so freaked out that I had a heart attack and died, thus making it so I'm not there anymore?

DBowling
05-02-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if I'm destined to invent a time machine, and in the future I would come back to this convention, does that mean I'd be at the convention now? What if I turn on the news and see myself there? Would I be so freaked out that I had a heart attack and died, thus making it so I'm not there anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. thats why nobody from the future will show up, or at least not announce themselves. if You, from the future, DID decide to show up, you would likely be in disguise, as not to startle yourself.

daryn
05-02-2005, 07:19 PM
hopefully you would be smart enough not to attend.

daryn
05-02-2005, 07:21 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. thats why nobody from the future will show up, or at least not announce themselves. if You, from the future, DID decide to show up, you would likely be in disguise, as not to startle yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. that only means that nobody from the VERY NEAR future will show up. you guys are somehow assuming that if a time machine is to be built in the future, it will be built within the next 100 years or so. who knows? if it is built 5,000 years from now, the problem you mention won't exist.

DBowling
05-02-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

not necessarily. that only means that nobody from the VERY NEAR future will show up. you guys are somehow assuming that if a time machine is to be built in the future, it will be built within the next 100 years or so. who knows? if it is built 5,000 years from now, the problem you mention won't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but havent you seen star trek? what if somebody gets drunk and leaves their phaser in the bathroom, or starts macking it with the nerd girls, and some how fucks up the space/time continuum! i think if anyone from the future attended, they would have to keep a very low profile

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
this has almost nothing to do with my post.

mason55
05-02-2005, 09:42 PM
I was listening to them interview the dude who organized it on NPR today. I could hear his pocket protector through the radio.

The thing is, he's really serious about it. Like, he expects people from the future to show up. The woman interviewing him was being completely patronizing (even laughing when she was asking him questions) and he just sat there and answered them.

Funniest thing I've ever heard on NPR.

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:44 PM
well, if at some point in the future a time machine IS invented, then it's not really unreasonable to think people will show up.

mason55
05-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Unless you believe Einstein's work that it's impossible to go back to a time before the time machine was invented.

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Unless you believe Einstein's work that it's impossible to go back to a time before the time machine was invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

my beliefs have nothing to do with what will actually happen. sometimes that's a bad thing though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

einstein is very capable of making huge mistakes also, like when he called the idea of a cosmological constant his biggest blunder ever, or something like that.

oddly enough, i read something recently that suggested that he was actually correct about that though, ha.

mason55
05-02-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my beliefs have nothing to do with what will actually happen. sometimes that's a bad thing though /images/graemlins/frown.gif

einstein is very capable of making huge mistakes also, like when he called the idea of a cosmological constant his biggest blunder ever, or something like that.

oddly enough, i read something recently that suggested that he was actually correct about that though, ha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, Einstein is human and therefore falliable. However, like you, I've recently read confirming work from other physicists that suggests he was probably correct about his time travel theories.

So just because no one shows up tomorrow doesn't mean that time travel is never invented, it probably just means that Einstein was right.

daryn
05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
So just because no one shows up tomorrow doesn't mean that time travel is never invented, it probably just means that Einstein was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? wouldn't it mean both? not necessarily, but probably.

anyway i'm pretty sure nobody is really in a postion to say "time travel (into the past) is impossible" at this point.

mostsmooth
05-02-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? wouldn't it mean both? not necessarily, but probably.

anyway i'm pretty sure nobody is really in a postion to say "time travel (into the past) is impossible" at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
im in position, and ill say it, time travel into the past, and the future for that matter, is impossible
impossible i say

brassnuts
05-02-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a stupid matter of semantics, really. When Einstein was studying his theory of general relativity he found that the equations indicated that spacetime must be either expanding or contracting. However, he believed, like almost all other physicists of his day, that the universe was stagnate. So, to solve this little dilemma he went back and threw in some silly cosmological constant into the equations. As it turned out, the universe is/was expanding and he was originally correct. He considered his cosmological constant his biggest blunder.

Fast forward 80 years. Now, in doing calculations to see if the universe is expanding with enough energy to escape its own gravity or whether it will end up coming back together on itself an anti-big bang, scientists have recently come to the conclusion that, contrary to common sense, the rate of expansion of the universe is actually increasing.

Whether or not these observations are correct, some people have been relating whatever this possible force is driving the universe apart to Einstein's cosmological constant and claiming that he was in fact correct. But, if you take Einstein's comsological constant in it's original context, you see it's completely unrelated. It's just stupid.

krazyace5
05-03-2005, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did he believe this? I don't see how this would be an issue.

tek
05-04-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
MIT Time Traveler Convention (http://web.mit.edu/adorai//timetraveler/)

Sounds like a good idea, sort of. But i dont think anyone from the future would attend for fear of messing with the timeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insert William Shatner's Trekkie wav file here /images/graemlins/grin.gif

purnell
05-04-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why did he believe this? I don't see how this would be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Before the time machine is invented, it doesn't exist. QED

edit: Further, before each individual time machine is built, it doesn't exist.

WDC
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
The only fallacy is that this convention is going to be covered on the news. Just stay away from Comedy Central; for a while and you will be safe.

jakethebake
05-04-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i should totally dress up in some elaborate space suit and show up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something like this...

http://www.stanford.edu/group/dwg/passing%20robot.JPG

Shajen
05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Good job bringing the awesomest avatar ever back, Jake.

Go ahead and take the rest of the day off, bud.

Oh, and a bar trip report is needed.

tpir90036
05-04-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Or:
Time travel comes to exist so far into the future that either:
a) no one remembers this convention
b) Earth no longer exists