PDA

View Full Version : Tight, weak-tight or pussy?

Madd
05-02-2005, 06:10 PM
This is from a 50$-sitngo. There was a lot of raising before the flops and I didn't want to get into trouble out of position in this tournament situation. However, I felt quite dirty after the laydown. What would you do?

(Blinds went up after I was in the SB.)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO (t1690)
Button (t1565)
SB (t1605)
BB (t2100)
Hero (t1520)
MP (t1520)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">Hero folds</font>

PocketJokers
05-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Pussy McPusserson

Seriously though, given the table conditions i dont think its a terrible lay down. I don't have an fancy calculations to back that up but if you are sure that you will be raised and have to lay it down then, theres no sense in wasting 100 chips. Just my opinion though, I'm probably wrong...

Big Limpin'
05-02-2005, 06:18 PM
I fold also. You hand is neither here nor there, bad position, and its 50/100.

Edit: besides, red 77 flops more sets than black.

Nick M
05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
OMG I have the best story hahaha. I was at a local club playing a NL cash game and a girl/woman about 28 - 35 years old, who was bragging that she just came back from dealer school in california, said these exact words while looking at her hand post flop...

"72% of the time I'm going to hit a set with this hand but this time I didn't." I asked her what she had, she said 10s. I squinted my eyes and said, "WHAT!!???HAHAH!" She then says this hahaha,

"10s and 8s hit sets more than any other pair. 72% percent of the time you will flop a set with them"

Seriously almost fell off my chair...sooooooo funny.

p.s. I have no clue what to do with 7s in that position...damn that's tough to laydown.

nova
05-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Very similar stack sizes, and being out of position you'd have to go big at it to get any respect. That said, BB has you covered and even if you limp or raise, he may reraise (or someone behind you does the same, etc). Granted it's tough, but those smallish / medium pairs can hurt in early position when the blinds are starting to move up.

Figure that your hope is to see the flop, and see the flop cheaply. Due to the nature of the table you have a good feeling that you won't be able to get in cheap, and that someone will play back at you. I think the laydown wasn't too bad a move based on position and table dynamics

gumpzilla
05-02-2005, 07:02 PM
I think it's an okay laydown. I see three options:

1) Limp-pushing over a raiser. If you limp, given the table that you've described you should probably expect a raise. It's worth considering trying to push over this; trying to play for set value in these circumstances is going to be poor because I think you're a little too shallow to get paid off like you need to.

2) Raising to 250-300. Unless I think for some reason that this table is going to particularly respect my UTG raises, this seems like an unwise move to me, as you're likely to just end up playing the hand with one or two callers and in inferior position, and there are no flops other than ones with a 7 that make you very happy once that happens.

3) Folding.

1 or 3 seem like the best choices to me. Limp-pushing is a play that I would employ against very aggressive players where I figure that I probably have good folding equity and won't necessarily be a huge dog if called. Folding seems fine too.

Degen
05-02-2005, 07:23 PM
This is a hand you can safely limp w/ if you are almost certain there will not be a raise. If you think the pot will be raised behind you then it is better to fold PF.

Andre

jeffraider
05-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Good fold!

Matt R.
05-02-2005, 08:51 PM
What is happening when someone raises at the table? Is it being folded around, are you getting multiple callers, or are people re-raising all the time? I think what you do here depends on the typical action following a raise. I think it's a fold if 3 or more people are seeing a flop when it's raised, and also a fold if people are re-raising preflop a lot. If it's being folded around a lot or you think you'll get only one caller, I would raise to 250-300.