PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a monster. Every street is debatable?

Entity
05-02-2005, 05:31 PM
Villain is TAG, generally on the overaggressive side though. Has been raising a lot of hands to isolate some of the EP limpers.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

KDawgCometh
05-02-2005, 05:34 PM
I think that the only thing maybe different is to maybe bet out on the flop. it is very possible that the tag will riase in which you could maybe pick up a few bets on teh flop, and tehn pull Check call on teh turn and do what you did on teh river. Looks more like a bluff line on a draw. but I like how youplayed it in general

meep_42
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I like bet/bet/bet here.

But i'm probably missing a lot of nuance here.

-d

SeaEagle
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
These stop-go-stop lines always confuse the hell out of me and I just push whatever button strikes my fancy while my opponent robs me blind. So if MP3 were me, you played it perfectly. I'm assuming you also made tilt money off this guy on subsequent hands.

FWIW, I'm inclined to bet this flop and see where it goes from there. I find that my opponents don't put me on a made flush very often and end up helping me build a pot.

W. Deranged
05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
This is a fun hand... I wonder if the best line might not be check-raise, check-raise, lead. I like the chance to exploit the aggressive tendencies of my opponent. If you check-raise the flop and then check back, an aggressive, thinking opponent is likely to put you on the bare A of hearts. A lot of tricky/bad lower limits players will really push nut draws like this in situations where they don't have an overlay. He will then likely bet the turn in an effort to give a free card. (If I were in your opponents position and you check-raised the flop and checked the turn, I am almost certainly betting the turn with any type of made hand and without a very strong read on your ability).

The only problem there is if the turn check-raise gets an astute opponent to drop on the turn.

Maybe I'm getting too fancy here. But the double check-raise is just so much fun.

iluzion
05-02-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like bet/bet/bet here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting and not stopping anywhere.

Entity
05-02-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like bet/bet/bet here.

But i'm probably missing a lot of nuance here.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not a maniac, so I'm not sure how much action I can expect out of him if I exude an overwhelming amount of strength. I do think that I should have made a few changes: I prefer 3-betting PF (Evan says fold), leading the flop and re-evaluating.

Evan
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan says fold

[/ QUOTE ]
I said that it depended largely on the quality of MP. If he is going to take advantage of being in position I would prefer to fold this hand, if he is not anything speical than 3 betting is fine.

MoreWineII
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
Evan always says fold.

Evan
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Evan always says fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against preflop raises I say fold from the SB a lot more than most people around here, and that is very much on purpose.

shadow29
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
I had a hand similar to this a while back. Well not similar because all I did was call 2 cold every street (except pf, limp then call a raise). I like just calling the flop bet. You made a hand against a TAG who raised pf. Time to make money.

Your turn bet is quite good, because I think that a turn c/r will stop the action totally.

I certainly don't have the balls to pull of a river c/r. I just bet the river.

PF is not very interesting, but I don't defend here against a TAG because I'm OOP. Being OOP against a TAG sucks.

meep_42
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, clearly the line would be adjustable based upon Villain's reactions (and that you're not afraid of a free card).

I'd not 3-bet this pf, but I can see the case for it if he has been raising light to isolate. I'd like to think that i'd bet out, though, and hope the trapped fish has the K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I like the turn bet, and I don't think it works well if you check-raise the flop, but you want money going in when Villains are probably drawing dead or nearly so.

I'm not so sure about the c/r on the river. You convey a J that is afraid of the Ts pairing -- is villain going to bluff that river enough (and pay off your c/r) with the supposed 'light' holdings he's been raising?

-d

Klepton
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
i think stop and go is the best for this

bet the flop and call if raised, then bet the turn and 3-bet

an overagresive player like this will be very stubborn and will stay with AK, AQ, and the Kh Qh hoping he's still good on the river

Entity
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evan always says fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against preflop raises I say fold from the SB a lot more than most people around here, and that is very much on purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

In most cases, I'd agree with him. With the dynamic that had been played out recently shorthanded between the TAG and myself, though, I think 3-betting is better.

Rob

MoreWineII
05-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Anyway, to answer the question, I like betting out too. I can't explain why.

I guess I think the way you played it here, you kinda took away any chance for the other two players to toss in a raise somewhere. Check/calling the flop then betting out the turn is scary. I don't think villian is likely to raise if he sees you as TAG.

If you bet out, villian might raise with an overpair/big heart or whatever. Then you can 3-bet or check-raise the turn or still pull your stop &amp; go. Nobody's going to put you on the flopped flush if you bet out.

That's how I see it.

Shillx
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
This is exactly how I would have played the hand if I had flopped a lowish flush draw (turned flush). The play looks a lot like hand that doesn't want to give a free card to another /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I find that I consistantly check/raise the river after I go for a bet-3bet line on the turn and fail. I don't really know why from a strategy standpoint, but I have found that doing so after gaybetting seems to be effective.

Brad

RiverTheNuts
05-02-2005, 06:55 PM
never mind, with the turn jack and river 10 I like how you played this alot

toss
05-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Preflop I would fold. Its very possible he's just isolating, but you're outta position with a possibly dominated hand.

Flop I would just bet out instead of using the line you use hoping to 3-bet. I don't know how well that works at fullring against a TAG. Without a higher /images/graemlins/heart.gif villain ain't raising the turn and with one he won't sometimes. I'd rather bet the flop and try a checkraise on the turn.

Beautiful river CR.

DeathDonkey
05-02-2005, 09:02 PM
I think you should just checkraise the flop, he either has enough to continue or that board scares the hell out of him. UTG+1 might coldcall drawing dead to the naked K /images/graemlins/heart.gif or something too.

-DeathDonkey