PDA

View Full Version : Protecting my Hand with Middle Pair - A6s

Wyers
05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm often guilty of not properly protecting my hand. On occasion, I'll miss or neglect situations where it would have been beneficial to protect. Other times I may do so believing it is the correct play when in fact it was not.

Here are the reads for the following hand:

BB is a solid player. 200 hands 13/9/2.07

MP1 is spewing chips. 34 hands 85/3/0.66 (-$260.00 and sitting to my right /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Is this raise appropriate in this instance?

If the turn is a blank and BB comes out firing, a fold would be in order, correct?

meep_42
05-02-2005, 05:30 PM
BB could be betting any pair from 22/44/55 to 6s or 7s -- remember, he could have something raggy like 34 here, so you may get a cheap showdown if you can clean house). I think you're ahead here a decent percentage of the time and have outs to improve if you're not. Pop it.

The turn really depends on the card, you're obviously calling any club and raising an ace or 6 if they come off. Other than that, it depends and I might just call it down.

I'm betting the turn if checked to 100% of the time and taking a free showdown UI.

-d

jba
05-02-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm betting the turn if checked to 100% of the time and taking a free showdown UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're really never taking a free card here? what about something like K/images/graemlins/club.gif?

meep_42
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I think anyone who makes a pair better than mine is probably going to come out betting on the turn. The K/images/graemlins/club.gif is about the only card that I'd consider a free card on, but I'd still expect a bet to take down the pot enough to offset the times I get check-raised and have to call and fold the river.

-d