PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Carpal Tunnel ?

sourbeaver
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
8-tables, 8 hours a day, you do the math = ouch

Any way you guys know of putting less pressure on the mouse hand ?

Any products or sites ?

Thanks a bunch

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Some people are more susceptible then others. I've spent a large portion of my life typing and never have a problem. My brother has has carpal tunnel problems since he was 12.

I would suggest searching Google for "ergonomic" and "computer" and seeing what comes up.

PokerFink
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
This seems really basic, but getting a good chair and sitting up straight can help a lot. A lot of people sit with their legs up on the desk or reclining back, and this can put your wrists at awkward positions.

Benal
05-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Try a trackball mouse.

Benholio
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
8-tables, 8 hours a day, you do the math = ouch

Any way you guys know of putting less pressure on the mouse hand ?

Any products or sites ?

Thanks a bunch

[/ QUOTE ]

One quick tip I can give is to make sure your elbow is even with, or above your wrist.

For the first few months of playing full-time, my elbow was below my wrist, and I started to get pain in my forearm/wrist frequently. Since then, I adopted a position where my elbow and entire forearm rest on my desk, leaving my elbow at the same height as my wrist, and the wrist/forearm pain has not come back.

Skipbidder
05-02-2005, 04:57 PM
BB's suggestion about googling ergonomics is likely to get some good answers.

You should try to maintain a neutral wrist position if possible.

Are you already getting symptoms? Are you getting numbness in your fingers at night? If you are, you might consider trying wrist extension splints at night (cock-up splints). The combination of cock-up splints and ergonomic workplace adjustments (split kepboard and instruction regarding improvements in positioning) stopped my carpal tunnel symptoms when I was doing medical transcription.

sourbeaver
05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try a trackball mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't a trackball just transfer the problem to whatever part you use to move the ball around ? (thumb, index or else)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
hire monkeys.

Benal
05-02-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Try a trackball mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't a trackball just transfer the problem to whatever part you use to move the ball around ? (thumb, index or else)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea, it very well could, but I'm thinking you could set the sensitivety so high on the trackball that minimal movement would be required to whip that pointer across the screen. I figure anything to reduce movement would help. Might take some getting used to though.

Matty
05-02-2005, 05:31 PM
If you type much, switching to the dvorak keyboard helps a lot (with your speed and accuracy too).

YourFoxyGrandma
05-02-2005, 05:37 PM
You mean Carpal \'Tunnel?

oreogod
05-03-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BB's suggestion about googling ergonomics is likely to get some good answers.

You should try to maintain a neutral wrist position if possible.

Are you already getting symptoms? Are you getting numbness in your fingers at night? If you are, you might consider trying wrist extension splints at night (cock-up splints). The combination of cock-up splints and ergonomic workplace adjustments (split kepboard and instruction regarding improvements in positioning) stopped my carpal tunnel symptoms when I was doing medical transcription.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as I read this I was reminded of Jack Black talking about Cock Push ups...which if u stopped using your hands and wrists to lift your body and just started using your harden penius...it would invaribly stop any sort of wrist/forearm pain.

Evan
05-03-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Google

[/ QUOTE ]
SPAMMER!!!!!!

Sporky
05-03-2005, 08:48 AM
this mouse is awesome. i use one and there's not really much change from a standard mouse, your hand is just sideways and it relieves a lot of the pressure on your forearm.

Evoluent Vertical Mouse 2 (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006IB1WW/qid=1115123943/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/104-9404351-8176765?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846)
http://www.ergocanada.com/images/evoluent_in_hand.jpg

might want to try a keyboard like this also. they have adjustable tilt and split so you can set it up for whatever is most comfortable:
Goldtouch Keyboard (http://www.keytools-ergonomics.co.uk/goldtouch/keyboard.asp)
http://www.keytools-ergonomics.co.uk/goldtouch/images/keyboard-black.jpg

i've got the mouse and it rules, and i've got one of those keyboards on the way. i can give you a review of it if you want once i receive it.