PDA

View Full Version : Which Golf clubs are most used/important?

Daliman
05-02-2005, 03:36 PM
I am in the preliminary stages of writing an article utilizing the clubs in "my" golf bag as comparison. Thing is, I don't know a ton about golf. The gist of the article will be how, say, I use something all the time and it is the most important thing I use, thus it is like the putter, etc.

What I guess I am specifically looking for is a listing, 1-14 in order of usage and then importance, that are in your typical golf bag.. A brief synopsis of each club would be great too.

M2d
05-02-2005, 03:37 PM
putter and wedges. scoring pencil, if you're so inclined.

bosoxfan
05-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I seem to use the foot wedge alot.

shadow29
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Putter, Wedge, 7-iron (+- a club, depending on the player), Driver.

shadow29
05-02-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah brings back memories of high school golf team.

we cheated those mofos so hard.

tbach24
05-02-2005, 03:43 PM
My odd numbered irons seem to get more work than the even one's. Odd

mostsmooth
05-02-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hand wedges are much more accurate

beerbandit
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
1: putter, most likely used on every hole -- for me atleast, most shots with per round
2: 52' wedge, used mainly for chipping and shots 90 - 125 yds
3: driver, used on most holes for tee shot, rarely used from ground
4: 60' wedge used from sand and shots 30 - 70 yds
5: 3 wood, used off tee in tight situations
6: 4 iron, also used of tee in tight spots

other irons used equally based on par 3 length and approach shots

cheers

other irons used

chaas4747
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
A wedge that you can use from 100 yards would seem to be the #1 choice. After that I would rank the clubs from pitching wedge (for me this is 120 in) to the 7 Iron as "scoring clubs". When I have these clubs in my hand, and I am in the fairway, I usually expect a two put, at the most. Clubs above that 6 Iron thru 3 iron I am looking to make the green. If I do not I want to put myself in a position to have a chip shot I feel I can get close, and at most make Bogie. The putter would rank either 3 or 4. However if you are faced with 50 foot puts all the time, you are less likely to score well. As for the driver I would almost put it lower than my fairway woods (I carry a 3+ wood, and a hybrid). When you must put the ball in fairway, you fairway woods obviously become more important than your driver. Here is my complete list (my bag).

1. 56 degree wedge
2. pitching wedge
3. 9 iron
4. 8 iron
5. putter
6. 3+ wood
7. 7 iron
8. Driver (9 degree)
9. hybrid club
10. 6 iron
11. 5 iron
12. 4 iron
13. 3 iron

I only carry 13 clubs, but there you go.

mostsmooth
05-02-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1: putter, most likely used on every hole -- for me atleast, most shots with per round
2: 52' wedge, used mainly for chipping and shots 90 - 125 yds
3: driver, used on most holes for tee shot, rarely used from ground
4: 60' wedge used from sand and shots 30 - 70 yds
5: 3 wood, used off tee in tight situations
6: 4 iron, also used of tee in tight spots

other irons used equally based on par 3 length and approach shots

cheers

other irons used

[/ QUOTE ]
i seem to recall using my 9 iron an awful lot (until i threw it in a lake), but then again, i didnt have any special wedges.

bernie
05-02-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the least important club in the whole bag.

b

shadow29
05-02-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the least important club in the whole bag.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh I don't think so. I gave 4 clubs, but I don't think they're the top 4. You know what I mean? Basically they're ranges. Putter is the most important. Then come the scoring clubs like wedges and 9-irons. Next are the mid-range irons (7-iron for me, for others could be like 6 or 5). Then come the tee-shot clubs (driver, 3-wood, 5-wood). I rarely use my long-irons.

cookie
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Most used order
putter
5-iron
9-iron
7-iron
Driver
Sandwedge - This in dependent on how my short play feels, some time I use the sandwedge a bit more

Importantness order:
Driver - Mainly playing for the fun of the game, and drivers are FUN
5-iron - Longshots are fun
9/sandwedge Dependent on the day
Putter
7-iron

Got more clubs and more irons, but seldomnly use them

TripleH68
05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Putter, Wedge, 7-iron (+- a club, depending on the player), Driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

jnalpak
05-02-2005, 04:18 PM
played sunday in a 3-club tourny...
shot bogey golf with 7,pw,putter

i would say 3W,7I,PWorSW depending on which your more comf with

offTopic
05-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Importance WRT score (estimated frequency)
1 (3) Driver: Affects the all-around game (too much). Good driving day = confidence + fun.
2 (1) Putter: I would rather never 3-jack again than be able to smash it 300 yds.
3 (2) 60* Wedge: Short approaches, most pitches, and most chips.
4 (4) 56* SW: Virtually all greenside bunker shots, "the 100 yd club".
5 (6) 5I: Higher importance because this is the favorite layup club, as well as 170-180 approaches and par-3s
6 (7) 7I: "The 150 club"
7 (5) 52* PW: 110-120 approaches, hacking out of deep rough, playing off of hardpan
8 (8) 8I: 140-150...this changes places with the 7I if I'm striking the ball well.
9 (9) 6I: For whatever reason, I don't seem to leave myself with shots of this distance that often
10 (11) 9I: see 6I
11 (10) 3W: Backup driver, perfect lies on the fairway on par-5s, and the occasional long putt over lots of apron.
12 (13) 3I: Long par-3s, and the favorite "tree club"
13 (12) 5W: Imperfect lies in the light rough on par-5s
14 (14) 4I: Maybe once every other round for the dreaded 180-190 approach. Little hope...

J.A.Sucker
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
For good to great players, this is simple.

Most important club is the putter.

Second most important club is the driver. Getting off the tee long and in the fairway is the key to making birdies and eagles.

Third most important club is the wedge.

For weaker players, I think you can reverse the wedge and driver.

For me, the list is probably something like this: (for playing a difficult course from the tips)

1. Putter
2. Driver
3. Pitching wedge
4. 3 wood
5. 6 iron
6. 4 iron
7. 7 iron
8. 5 iron
9. Sand wedge
10. 3 iron
11. 8 iron
12. 9 iron
13. 4 wood
14. Lob wedge

If the course was very tight and tough, the 3 wood become much more important (and may actually be #2). If there are long par 3's, longer irons become more important. For a muni course, 9 and 8 irons are key, since the approach is always 150 or less. This is my normal list, though.

bernie
05-02-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I rarely use my long-irons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play longer courses. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Basically they're ranges. Putter is the most important. Then come the scoring clubs like wedges and 9-irons. Next are the mid-range irons (7-iron for me, for others could be like 6 or 5). Then come the tee-shot clubs (driver, 3-wood, 5-wood).

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the ranges thing. But also I think of the versatility of the club. A driver really isn't that versatile. Not to mention, most (average golfers) take more strokes because of their driver than they lose in comparison to any other club.

Putting it in terms of ranges, you're on a 6900+ yd course. Along with a putter, if you could only add 4 more clubs to the bag, what would they be?

For me:

Sand wedge. (I love my sandy)
3 wood
7 iron
4 iron. (I hit it better than my 3)

Take it a step further, you can add clubs one at a time. The next clubs I'd be adding would be irons. Woods would be last, driver the being the last one. Imo, I just don't see it as that important of a club.

b

M2d
05-02-2005, 04:40 PM
I suck, so the milage you may get out of this will vary. I'm pretty long, but I still suck, so i decided to try taking my woods out of my bag one year. 2 iron off the tee was the longest I had (~250 yards). in three months, my index went down about three strokes and my game was much more consistant. granted, i only went from a 17 to a 14, but it showed me a lot about my game and taught me how to use my long irons a little.

Daliman
05-02-2005, 04:42 PM
This and JA sucker's respnoses are EXACTLY what I was looking for..TYVM guys.

The rest of you can get bent. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J/K, TYVM for all the info guys.

Daliman
05-02-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Second most important club is the driver. Getting off the tee long and in the fairway is the key to making birdies and eagles.

Third most important club is the wedge.

For weaker players, I think you can reverse the wedge and driver.

For me, the list is probably something like this: (for playing a difficult course from the tips)

1. Putter
2. Driver
3. Pitching wedge
4. 3 wood
5. 6 iron
6. 4 iron
7. 7 iron
8. 5 iron
9. Sand wedge
10. 3 iron
11. 8 iron
12. 9 iron
13. 4 wood
14. Lob wedge

If the course was very tight and tough, the 3 wood become much more important (and may actually be #2). If there are long par 3's, longer irons become more important. For a muni course, 9 and 8 irons are key, since the approach is always 150 or less. This is my normal list, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am surprised that both you and offtopic rate the Driver so high. I would think that the driver would appear to be most important or close only to those that don't know much about the game, but I guess I was wrong,( I DON'T know much about the game). It seemed to me that there are plenty of great players out there that are nothing special off the tee, but I guess it IS one of the major things now seperating the man from the boys on the pro tour; pretty sure al the top 4 are big hitters.

This is what I pay you guys the big bucks for....

offTopic
05-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am surprised that both you and offtopic rate the Driver so high. I would think that the driver would appear to be most important or close only to those that don't know much about the game, but I guess I was wrong,( I DON'T know much about the game). It seemed to me that there are plenty of great players out there that are nothing special off the tee, but I guess it IS one of the major things now seperating the man from the boys on the pro tour; pretty sure al the top 4 are big hitters.

This is what I pay you guys the big bucks for....

[/ QUOTE ]

Disclaimer: Despite my detailed answer, I suck at golf. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, my list was based entirely on personal experience.

I've had OK rounds where I've putted poorly, but I've never had even a decent round when I was spraying it all over the place off the tee. Case in point this past weekend (prolly only SF Bay Area folks will have any idea about these courses) I couldn't get off the tee at Cinnabar Hills on Saturday and shot 59 /images/graemlins/blush.gif - 46. Made an adjustment yesterday at Bayonet, and shot 42-46. Golf is rigged.

J.A.Sucker
05-02-2005, 05:40 PM
All of the great players (even the shorter-hitting tour players) are GREAT drivers of the golf ball. They either have great length (Daly), or great accuracy (Justin Leonard). If they have both, they are Woods, Singh, Els, Phil, etc. Simple as that. The game is damned easy when you're in the short grass.

B Dids
05-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Why are you using a metaphor that you don't understand? That just seems like lame, dishonest writing to me.

nolanfan34
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you using a metaphor that you don't understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, I'm not the only one who wondered that. Just seemed like a strange choice.

B Dids
05-02-2005, 05:48 PM
You write for a living, that might be part of it.

B Mando
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Short game guru David Pelz did a study that showed that a majority of your shots are from with-in 100 yards. I forget the exact percentage of shots that his study showed for an average round of golf but without question your putter is your most important club. The rest is based on the type of course you are playing. My home course is only like 6400 from the tips and I hit driver-wedge into every green. The course is also very forgiving off the tee so the use of my driver at this course is not very important at all. Now there is another course I play that is very long and has very long par threes, yet 2 rather short(reachable) par 5s so when I play this course I am always using my long irons much more than I usually would. If your short game is good your game is always good though(assuming you know how to hit a decent ball) so I would say the most important clubs are obvouisly your putter and wedges. Most courses(that dont cost 150$ a round) are barely over 6000 yards. For every course that is 6500 and green and lush there are 5 that are 5900 with greens worse than putting on my carpet. What I am trying to say is that the importance of your 'other' clubs is very dependent on the course, and most people play short courses(or from the bitch tees) and therefor short irons and wedges are much more important.

My list of clubs in order of importance are -

1. Putter
2. My 54 degree
3. PW(46 instead of the standard 48)
4. 9
5. 8
6. Driver
7. 7
8. 6
9. My 60 degree
10. 5
11. 2 (hit on tight holes)
12. 3
13. 4
14. 3 wood(I never use this club except when I am going for a par 5)

SossMan
05-02-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For a muni course, 9 and 8 irons are key, since the approach is always 150 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak.

on_thg
05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Truth.

1. Putter. Hate the [censored] thing, but it's #1.
2. Pitching Wedge. Used on almost every shot from 105 yards on in.
3. Driver. Sets up the hole, usually needed for distance.
4. 7 Iron. The trusty 150 yard club, also rarely used for chipping.
5. 5 Iron. All purpose. The utility infielder of golf clubs.
6. 1 Iron. Hit frequently from the tee and in place of fairway woods.
7. Hybrid club. I carry a 14 degree one for max distance. Still learning how to use its full potential.
8. 9 Iron
9. 8 Iron
10. 6 Iron
11. 4 Iron
12. 3 Iron
13. 60 degree wedge. Useful from the sand and really good lies. Also useful for skulling shots across greens and into parking lots.
14. Sand Wedge. I don't know why I carry one, since I think I'm fully converted to using the 60 degree job out of the bunkers.

B Mando
05-02-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All of the great players (even the shorter-hitting tour players) are GREAT drivers of the golf ball. They either have great length (Daly), or great accuracy (Justin Leonard). If they have both, they are Woods, Singh, Els, Phil, etc. Simple as that. The game is damned easy when you're in the short grass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Fred Funk hits the ball like a girl and probably isnt over 5 feet tall but he hits every fairway and his results over the past years certainly prove that distance isnt THAT important. He won the players this year, that should say enough. You definitly wont see him winning a US Open though. YES I KNOW COREY PAVIN WON ONE, but that was before courses were tiger-proofed.

Daliman
05-02-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you using a metaphor that you don't understand? That just seems like lame, dishonest writing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because I am a lame, dishonest writer.

But mainly because it sounded like a good idea, which once given a basic understanding of, can be used in what may or may not be a good article.

eric5148
05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YES I KNOW COREY PAVIN WON ONE, but that was before courses were tiger-proofed.

[/ QUOTE ]

If courses were actually Tiger-proofed, they would be perfect for Pavin/Funk type players. Most tour courses have simply been lengthened, which is much better for Tiger.

J_V
05-02-2005, 06:07 PM
You loser. They should never let you play golf again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I remember playing some hack of a school. And this one guy keeps trying to shave a stroke here or there. I kept correcting him. Then he gets up to a par 3, and double bogeys it. I asked what he got and he said birdie. I said okay, then he asked me what I had, and I told him 1. He unflichingly marks it on the card. First hole in one of my life.

Daliman
05-02-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, of course, this is true, but I guess my point here is that as long as you hit it 250 and straight, it's a HELL of a lot better than 300 and crooked. Ask Hank Keuhne(sp?). I remember an article where he was in a twosome with Ian Woosnam and he was kinf of laughing baout if he could only hit it 260 or so like Woosnam, he'd hate golf, shortly thereafter hittting it 343, over a tree at around 290 I guess. Longly thereafter however, carding a 74 while Woosnam shot 69....

I've heard it said though in many a place something to the effect of if every non-pro player took 10% or so off their driver, they would more than make up for it in accuracy. For players that are higher double-digit handicaps and up, I've read that they'd be better off not HAVING a 1W at all.

Also, I wouldn't think if you took the 1W out of Tiger's bag, it would end up costing him very much at all.

Love the discussion though. TYVM all.

JaBlue
05-02-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For a muni course, 9 and 8 irons are key, since the approach is always 150 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

You never played Mariner's Point?
"LOL"

shadow29
05-02-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You loser. They should never let you play golf again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I remember playing some hack of a school. And this one guy keeps trying to shave a stroke here or there. I kept correcting him. Then he gets up to a par 3, and double bogeys it. I asked what he got and he said birdie. I said okay, then he asked me what I had, and I told him 1. He unflichingly marks it on the card. First hole in one of my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha. That's good. Mainly we just "found" balls and stuff like that. This was when I played JV in 9th grade. My playing partner had a hole in his pants pocket (not for that) and he would use that to "find" his ball. This was against all the little pussy ass schools. Kids that would come in with a new set of irons or whatever every week. We got our sweet revenge.

groo
05-02-2005, 06:51 PM
My golf bag.......

Most important
1) putter....used approximately 24-30 times each round
2)56 degree wedge....used for chipping on most greens that i miss (5-8 times) and 4-7 for approach shots
3) Driver.....used 10-14 times
4) Pitching wedge.....used 4-7 times for approach shots
5) 4-iron....used to lay up from tee or on 2nd shots on par 5's 4-7 times
6) 51 degree wedge...used for chipping and some approach shots
7) 60 degree wedge....used for chipping and some approach shots
8) 9-iron....approach shots
9) 8-iron....approach shots
10) 7-iron....approach shots
11) 6-iron....approach shots
12) 5-iron....approach shots and occasional tee shots
13) 3-iron....approach shots and occasional tee shots
14) 4-wood....occasional tee and approach shots, 2nd shot on some par 5's

gvibes
05-02-2005, 08:18 PM
1. putter (used about 45 times a round - I wish I were joking)
2. wedges (48, 52, 56, and 60 - I have no set yardages or anything. Sometimes I'll hit a knockdown sand wedge, or a full lob, from the same distance. If I'm chipping from right off the green, I can use any of the four, depending on the lie, how much green I have to work with, etc.)
3. whatever I'm using to drive the ball, usually a selection of driver, 3w, and 3 iron - depends on how long the course is, but I usually don't use the driver unless I'm playing a >420 yard par 4, as I'm not particularly accurate with it, and I can get 240-245 out of the 3 wood.)
4. all other irons, though the lower irons (9-iron, 8-iron, etc.) are more important, as there is usually a reasonable chance for you to put yourself in scoring position.

I'm about a 14 handicap.

And Tiger is not both long and accurate with the driver. He was close to last in the field in fairways hit at the masters.

diddle
05-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Snead said:
putter, driver, wedge

Hogan said:
driver, putter, wedge

i would estimate:
putter can save 5+ shots per round
driver can cost or help 5+ shots per round
wedge can save a few shots per round

touchfaith
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Putter - Obviously...There is a reason they say '...putt for dough' /images/graemlins/smile.gif

51 degree - Why putt when you can chip it in

2 iron, Callaway Big Bertha (it matters for me) - The Big Bertha (2003) 2 iron is more like a driving iron then most driving irons I have hit. I love this club. It's my tight drive club, my "3 wood" when I don't need (or want) the loft and my "get out from under the trees" club /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Plus...it's cool to carry a 2 iron...really...try it. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

The rest of my clubs just take up beer space

BadBoyBenny
05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't know if most used and important are the same. I putt the most, but it wouldn't cost me many as shots if I played with someone else's putter as it would if I played with someone else's driver. As far as having a club that your used to is important I would say driver and the long irons.