PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this right?

crazygoose
05-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

CO ($52.7)
Button ($51.8)
Hero ($49.15)
BB ($50)
UTG ($31.55)
UTG+1 ($58.2)
MP1 ($44)
MP2 ($54.4)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.5</font>, CO calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, CO calls $8, Hero calls $43.15 (All-In), BB calls $38.15, CO calls $30.70 (All-In), BB calls [$-48.3] $46.15.

Turn: ($137) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($137) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Final Pot: ~$137

(Everyone called)

Here's my thinking. I put the BB on QQ or KK or AA hence the flop cr. I thought CO might have a mid PP but couldnt have caught a piece of that flop. Did I play this right?

-Skeme-
05-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't get this. You completed in SB with AA? You limp-called preflop and checked-raised the flop?

theweatherman
05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
How can you be a poster in the SB?

Anyways I hate limping in with Aces, even in early position. Get a bet in while you know your ahead in my opinion. One the flop the only thing that could be behind is a small set. I have a feeling one of the players had AK of spades, probably the BB. I am a bit worried about the CO limp/calling with a low pp hoping to spike a set.

However I would probably, barring any solid reads on the opponents, play this flop the same way.

crazygoose
05-02-2005, 03:20 PM
There was only one other person to the flop, hence the limp. Mixing it up a bit. When the BB raised I knew I had him dominated and could take his stack. Barring a really scary flop I wasn't too scared of CO either.

-Skeme-
05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my thinking. I put the BB on QQ or KK or AA hence the flop cr.

[/ QUOTE ]

What flop check-raise? He lead out on the flop.

crazygoose
05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
That is why I cr...because I knew he was going to bet out.

-Skeme-
05-02-2005, 03:52 PM
I still don't see how you make that assumption, but whatever. If you're sure he has KK and will call then I guess it's fine. You got it all in with Aces against KK-JJ or whatever he has.

Niwa
05-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I hate that limp and the flopaction.

Snag
05-02-2005, 04:13 PM
You're going to lose more money in the long run by limp calling w/ aces. I don't see what it is you're trying to accomplish.

Johnny Richter
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're going to lose more money in the long run by limp calling w/ aces. I don't see what it is you're trying to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]
People wonder why Aces always get cracked.

DoomSlice
05-02-2005, 05:05 PM
With only two people in the hand, limp calling is a GREAT idea. It accomplishes two very different things:
1. If BB checks, you are now playing a smaller pot that should be easier to control and get away from.
2. If BB raises, you have two options, reraise to get heads up with BB or trap CO, or cold call and play a pot where you know much more information about the aggressor (BB) than he knows about you. Personally I reraise right now and trap some dead money in the pot, then lead the flop, but this hand can be played in many ways.

I'm going to focus on what happened for the remainder of my post, the limp-call of the raise from BB.

Pretty damn good flop for Aces, not only because it makes it unlikely for anyone to have spiked a high set (which BB raising would indicate he has high cards), but also because it is likely to give BB an overpair, and he will probably bet at it like he did (Although it is more likely here that the CO is playing a low pocket pair and hit a set on the flop).

Now to comment on flop play. As I mentioned earlier it is likely that BB has an overpair or at least two overcards to the flop, and will probably bet out, so check-raising is the correct play here in most instances. The cold-call from the CO should be very worrisome... so I don't think you should jam the pot right away, but instead reraise to $22 or so, and after that you're pot stuck /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allinlife
05-02-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With only two people in the hand, limp calling is a GREAT idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
you can't be serious

threadkiller
05-02-2005, 05:19 PM
without reading the other responses, and with the caveat that I'm a newbie that doesn't know ****:

1. I'd have reraised preflop to $10.
2. If you had reraised PF, I'd go all-in post-flop as I wouldn't be worried about 77. But since you didn't, I might only raise to half of whatever I have left (about $22 if I counted right).

Publos Nemesis
05-02-2005, 05:21 PM
First off, why do you not want to play aces heads up? You have to isolate. The reason being that you are going to have to act first for the remaining rounds and would rather have to play against one person. That way, you won't get caught so bad against a set.

[ QUOTE ]
The cold-call from the CO should be very worrisome

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why you want to play it against one person. Once he cold calls you are in trouble because any real raise will pretty much get you all-in by the turn and you might be drawing to two outs.

DoomSlice
05-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Dead serious, the only thing you want to avoid is to play AA in a multi-way pot. Three to the flop is hardly multi-way. Please read my post.

CHiPS
05-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I agree with Doomslice.
The preflop action is OK, you are only up against two opponents and you have a hand that is hard for your opponents to read. A lot of times preflop action can make it obvious that you have Aces or Kings, and opponents can use that information against you. Here you are a bit of a sleeper and should play the hand with confidence. The call from the second player might get me to prefer the $22 raise over the all in.

xcrack999
05-02-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my thinking. I put the BB on QQ or KK or AA hence the flop cr. I thought CO might have a mid PP but couldnt have caught a piece of that flop. Did I play this right?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're pretty sure about those reads, why did you check-raise all-in? A normal player would just fold his mid-PP to such a big raise, and if you're lucky you'll get the other guy to call with QQ or KK. If you are sure that they both have pocket pairs, I would just check-call flop and check-raise turn all-in or check-call flop, check-call turn, and all-in on river, and let them try to draw to their 2-outers. But I don't know how you can be so sure that CO has a mid-PP.

Allinlife
05-03-2005, 12:09 AM
doomslice your understanding of controlling the pot size is seriosuly flawed if you are worrying to keep it small prefop with aces, on 100bb stacks against "typical" players.

Simply put, if you don't isolate, it is much easier for you to make a mistake postflop than for your opponents to make a mistake against you when you hold aces vs more than 1 player.

DoomSlice
05-03-2005, 12:23 AM
I don't want to get into an argument with you, so I'd appreciate it if the personal attacks were kept at a minimum. I will try to explain my thinking here, and hopefully you will gain a little insight into how I play (since there is certainly no one "correct" way to play).

Let's pop into Villain's shoes for a second here, and assume that one of them has KK and one of them has 77. Let's say I reraise to in order to isolate the BB and drive out CO. I have just limp-reraised... and now my opponent knows that I've got a monster (when I see this I know aces 90% of the time). Now if I'm Villain, I'll be able to lay this down preflop, and if not then, I'll be able to lay it down postflop after I see SB go into checkraise mode.

Now let's say SB just limp calls. Who the hell knows what he has now? Two high cards? Suited connector? Mid pocket pair? The hand range increases DRAMATICALLY, and I'll be more likely to stack off to you when undercards hit. The pot is now smaller, so if I encounter resistance from CO (who you'd expect to have something like a small-mid pocket pair), you can now more easily fold it.

Both options have their merits, and you cannot discount either one. It is definately OK to slowplay aces once in a while, they won't be cracked every time, and the times you slowplay it and trap someone will more than make up for the times that you slowplay and get sucked out on.

I will once again reiterate that 3 people seeing the flop when you hold aces is not the end of the world, as long as you're careful.

Allinlife
05-03-2005, 01:05 AM
First of all, I've never seen anyone limp aces after many players from sb, then count on to limp-raise the BB. Everytime I see someone limp behind a limper, than limp-raise, they often have speculative holdings.

Refering to your example, If BB had KK, he will reraise you allin often, or go to the felt with it post flop unless flop comes with an ace. this is party 50$ and most people of these players will not be able to lay down their KK preflop or post flop to a checkraise on aceless board.

I think you are over valueing deception playing vs party 50nl donks and losing out on easy value.

I agree that slowplaying aces is definately not the end of the world, but it's certainly not the optimum +EV play, which is what we aim here on 2+2 boards.

warlockjd
05-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Raise to $3 or $3.50 preflop. Don't ever check this out of the SB.

I lead the flop and call an all in