PDA

View Full Version : AK and there playign back

conslice
05-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($19.8)
MP3 ($23.05)
CO ($55.09)
Button ($5.25)
SB ($20.55)
Hero ($95.95)
UTG ($56.5)
UTG+1 ($27.9)
UTG+2 ($13.4)
MP1 ($34.36)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, MP1 calls $0.75, MP2 calls $0.75, CO calls $0.75.

Flop: ($4.10) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $6</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($16.10) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 is all-in [12.8] Hero folds.

NickPoker
05-02-2005, 02:46 PM
I think you played it standard on the flop. You can't call the turn. You played it fine.

swolfe
05-02-2005, 02:56 PM
either just complete or raise more preflop. a lot more. you have 3 limpers to you and you're going to be out of position. $1.5 would be a pot sized raise, but i'd make it more because of my positional disadvantage. make it like $3.

tommo
05-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I think you played it fine. This is what I would have done differently and the reasons why

preflop

action: I would bet 2-3$ or so.

reason: nobody raised pf means AK is the best hand (I might even raise more).

Flop
action: about a pot sized bet

reason: people are likely to have (suited connectors, high cards, medium pocket pairs). Any pocket pair that didn't hit a set has a hard time calling. no str8 possibilities means connectors fold. you are a favorite to any overcards. Nobody is likely to have a hand that they can play back at you with.

That being said, if I get raised I fold (Especially if I get min raised).

I'm curious what other people think of this line.

tripdad
05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
raise the size of the pot before the flop. fold to the flop raise.

bye!

kurto
05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reason: nobody raised pf means AK is the best hand (I might even raise more).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Any pocket pair is the best hand preflop. 2/3rds of pocket pairs or so are going to limp. Then there are the people who slowplay Aces and Kings (Is it just me or has this become a trend lately. Its been working out for me because I've been seeing cheap flops, hitting 2 pair then having the guy with pocket aces going all in and giving me his money.)

I'm not arguing against a healthy raise, I just don't think one can assume AK is the best hand preflop.

Other then that small note, I like your line.

Though I sometimes take the line of limping from the blinds if I've got too many limpers. This depends on the table makeup. If raising isn't going to thin the field, I'll take a limp. I don't want to have to bet on the flop unimproved if I have 3-5 callers. If the table is loose and you miss, there's a good chance you're throwing away chips if you didn't improve.

xorbie
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Ok this is wrong for a couple reasons. First of all, AK is not the best hand PF, it's not necessarily ahead even. Second of all, any two cards can play back at you if they want to, they don't have to have anything becase you are folding. Third of all, a lot of PP here could either have a set or an overpair. They aren't going to believe you have an 8 anyway, so they could conceivably be playing back (correctly) with 66/77.

So yeah. With your tiny raise PF, might as well just check/fold.

tommo
05-02-2005, 04:55 PM
When I said AK was the best hand I didn't elaborate just in the interest of being succinct.

AK is better than a mid pocket pair (I understand that if you go all in against a pocket pair with AK preflop that they are a favorite to win). The reason it is better is that middle pocket pairs pretty much have to fold to aggression when overcards come. Its true that somebody could've slowplayed AA or KK. However, this is kind of like seeing monsters everywhere because you AK halves the probability that anybody has AA or KK. That being said, somebody with AA or KK isn't going to slowplay you through the whole hand.

a lot of mid PPs will hit a set, I agree. That is why I'm advocating folding to a raise, if they call the situation gets more complicated. The hand you're most worried about is probably 99 (which will almost definitely play back at you).

tommo
05-02-2005, 04:58 PM
its pretty hard to play back at a person when they bet the pot on the flop. If people are playing back at you with any 2 sign me up to join that table, I'll play weak tight and make a killing.

Saying that people can play back with any 2 just illustrates that different strategies work for different tables. Take another example. If there is one guy who calls 100% of hands, raise enought to isolate him and then annihilate him if and only if you hit a pair.