PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo story makes "bigtime"

BruceZ
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
I just got the ConJelco newsletter in the mail, and there is an article with a pool story by none other than guess who? Jimbo, how did you get chosen to write this?

In this article Jimbo beats an opponent who had more at stake than he did, namely a reputation. Putting pressure on someone who has more to lose is similar to going all-in against a world champion. One improves your chances for psychological reasons, and the other for mathematical ones. I once made the finals of a pool tourney by beating someone who was a) better than me b) hated me c) knew I hated him d) hated to lose, and e) I knew would really hate to lose to me. The trick I used was to pretend in my mind that I had already lost the match before it even started. I already came to terms with how it would feel to lose, the mindset, went through putting it in perspective, etc. With winning out of the way, I was freed up to play the best pool of my life. Nothing was on the line for me, but every ball I sank counted for more than a ball because he was under increasing pressure. This fed on itself and made me play better while he started to get worked up, argued about rules, turned red, etc. He tried many psychological tactics against me as I knew he would, but they were all ineffective because in my mind I'd already lost...until I won.

If I'm ever standing on the approach in the national bowling stadium surrounded by thousands of fans and millions watching on ESPN with a national bowling championship at stake (yarite, ok how about a local tourney) I will have a huge mental edge. I already decided how much significance to put on it. The same significance as when I'm throwing practice balls by myself late at night in a deserted alley with nobody watching. I figure I've lost and humiliated myself plenty of times, so one more time wouldn't be anything different. But this time I'm going down with the best balls I know how to throw.

Jimbo
11-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi BruceZ,

You asked Jimbo, how did you get chosen to write this? It is a long story going clear back to my childhood. You see my mother didn't show me enough affection so naturally I, oops, wrong question. Let me see....... I suppose there were several possible reasons:

1) It is obvious I am one of the most prolific, mesmerizing, lucid, intelligent and worshipped posters on the 2+2 forum. (Did I leave out humble?)
2) My vast knowledge of probabilities, gambling, psychology and human nature were available and useful.
3) Chuck really enjoys stories about pool.
4) I work for peanuts!

The correct answer is two of the four choices above. I will leave it to you to determine the most likely. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Bruce, if you are ever on that bowling lane on TV I will be cheering you on from home. But hey, you never mentioned whether you enjoyed my article or not, just that I authored one! Were you just being polite? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

BruceZ
11-19-2002, 06:18 PM
Hey, I'm still trying to figure out if you're a hippie or a derogatory term for an African American (first post). I was just wondering if you knew the editor. The first lady's article had some conceptual math errors (good article though). Maybe I'll post those on the probability forum.

I like all the pool stories. Post some more.

It sounds like you played alot of people that were a challenge. I thought pool hustlers were supposed to prey on people who have no real chance. Have you seen Jimmy Mataya's video on how to be a pool hustler? At the end he dresses up as a painter and gets in everyone's way with his ladder before he finally gets into a game with lots of people betting against him. Ever do anything like that?

Jimbo
11-19-2002, 06:49 PM
I found life to be a lot simpler by just playing full speed over 95% of the time. As well as I played there is always someone better just around the corner and since I was always flush it was common for the better players to seek me out, offer too much weight and lose their bankroll simply because they knew they were able to make a sizable score from me if they could get matched up correctly and win. For people who like to count session win percentage as well as money per hour or total income I have a stat they will like. Conservatively I won over 98% of the time when I gambled on pool. In other words the only people gambling when I played were the other guys! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

As far as hustling goes many good players get beat by lesser players by "laying down" too long. Either they get out of stroke and lose their bankroll before they can come back or the "fish" wise up quickly when they start running racks and quit. I found I got all the action I ever needed by either getting steered in a new locale and to play people in the proper order or in lieu of any accurate information just to play all out in what ever order they arrived. I have a story on just this subject I will post later in the week.

I have not seen the video you mentioned but it sounds like a riot. He is so well known he may need a gimmick like that to get any normal action.

HDPM
11-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Is there a link to the story or something. I tried to find it on Conjelco's website but was unsuccessfu.

Jimbo
11-19-2002, 07:11 PM
HDPM,

It was published in a newsletter entitled The Intelligent Gambler by Conjelco. The newsletter is free but you must subscribe by contacting Chuck. It is sent snail mail as well and I do not know if it is accessible online.

imported_Chuck Weinstock
11-20-2002, 02:38 PM
ConJelCo publishes the Intelligent Gambler (usually) twice a year (in November and May more or less). It is a free 16 page newsletter ... about half editorial and half catalog.

Although eventually we put the editorial part on our website, we are way behind on this. The most reliable way to get it is via "snail mail". If you'll e-mail me your address I will get one put in the mail to you (offer good until I run out of the current issue.)

Chuck