PDA

View Full Version : Flop Re-Raise Here?

prepotency
05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Here's a hand I encountered on Party today, see if you agree with my assessment here:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t800)
UTG (t957)
UTG+1 (t805)
UTG+2 (t950)
MP1 (t785)
MP2 (t645)
MP3 (t775)
CO (t725)
Button (t843)
SB (t715)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, Hero checks.

Ok: free flop

Flop: (t57.50) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t15</font>,
Ok so here I'm thinking I'll put out an info. bet and see what people come back with. I'm planning out the way this hand is going to play down. Since there are no pre-flop raisers I'm assuming there are no hands better than AT or AJ playing here. So I figure that I will most likely split with another A if this ends up showing down.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t30</font>,
Raise? Ok, well I figure that this is the stronger A playing back at me so I add another layer of deception, I'll overbet my hand so that I can either get him to fold his weaker kicker or make him think I'm betting hard with the /images/graemlins/diamond.gif draw
Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, UTG+2 calls t60.

Turn: (t237.50) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

So I guess the turn helped me out here but is this just a lucky turn card or do you think my play on the flop was a good strategic move? I'm really not trying to boast here I'm just trying to figure out if it's one of those plays that should be repeated or if it just happened to pan out this time and should be avoided in the future.
I guess it worked out this time because he bet at me and I pushed on the turn but should I not have made this flop play. I know this is may be trivial but I think it's an interesting strategic discussion. It's kindof about how far you are willing to take your semi-bluffs I guess.

Please share your thoughts.

Freudian
05-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Don't get tricky with a horrible kicker here. Fold to his re-raise on the flop. Out of the opportunities to gain chips in this SnG this one doesn't even come in the top 20.

If you want him to fold you have to bet more than 1/4 the pot on the flop. If you are going to take a stab at this bet 40-50. If he calls or raises you should be pretty much done with this hand.

prepotency
05-02-2005, 12:58 PM
So I shouldn't go with a read here? (A read strictly based on the way they are playing their hand - not one acquired from earlier hands)
Isn't this exactly how you'd expect a stronger A to play? I guess a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif drawer would play the same... not sure.
What do you think about my read is where we should start I guess.
Even if you read the stronger A and it was correct (we don't know because he folded in the actual hand) is this still a profitable play to make?

Freudian
05-02-2005, 01:07 PM
You are thinking in way more stages than necessary here. Your thinking should be "He raised me on this flop. I have a 3 kicker".