PDA

View Full Version : met one of my heroes tonight...

whiskeytown
05-02-2005, 04:53 AM
I play music, as you know, and being from Minneapolis, I've always been impressed with local boys Soul Asylum.

So tonight at Applebee's, I'm there and frontman Dave Pirner walks in with a friend - I recognize him and introduce myself - and bought his beer after he ordered it...

he's just a cool songwriter, I dig their stuff, and it was cool to finally chat/meet him - seen him before around town, but he was always surrounded by folks, so I never got a chance till tonight.

Nothing else to say, just a cool happening...

RB

Popinjay
05-02-2005, 04:56 AM
i like that jasmine song a lot.

she's my favorite girl in the whole wide world

bernie
05-02-2005, 05:30 AM
I still really like that Runaway Train tune.

b

Bigdaddydvo
05-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Did they ever find any of the missing kids in the Runaway Train video?

trying2learn
05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
yes and they kept changing the kids because it was so successful.

that band isn't getting enough credit in this thread...they had MANY really great tunes.

i dig the one about the pearl necklace that breaks and it follows the stories of different people...very cool.

The Yugoslavian
05-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Ni han.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yugoslav

MEbenhoe
05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Same type of thing for me last year when the lead singer from The Gufs (band out of Milwaukee who had a couple songs that were hits nationally in the 90's) played at my college as the opener for Ben Folds. I was working security for the show and got to have a nice chat with him after his show. Was very cool.

PoBoy321
05-02-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I play music, as you know, and being from Minneapolis, I've always been impressed with local boys Soul Asylum.

So tonight at Applebee's, I'm there and frontman Dave Pirner walks in with a friend

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading up until this point, I thought the rest of the post was going to read something like "they went into the backroom and came out in aprons with really big buttons on them. My burger was cold, but I gave him a really nice tip anyway."

astroglide
05-02-2005, 01:05 PM
they say misery loves company
we should start a company...and make misery
"frustrated incorporated"

love those lyrics :|

whiskeytown
05-02-2005, 01:39 PM
the irony, of course, is that Runaway Train wasn't about teenage runaway's at all, but it became their defining video -

I've got all their major label stuff and some of the Twin/Tone stuff - Dave is a great songwriter, and live, the band could kick the ass of any 4 piece anywhere....incredible [censored] live band. -

but as a songwriter, I think it's his writing that really impresses me.

The other funny thing is that he's got a fairly low, almost bass voice, but he can hit the high notes great when he sings...LOL -

but I blew it - I shoulda asked if Winona Ryder was a good lay /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB