PDA

View Full Version : Isolating with AJo

dfscott
05-02-2005, 01:14 AM
A couple of questions about this hand:

1) Is AJo a hand worth making this play with, or should I just let the BB handle the short-stack?
2) Should I even be trying this with this many behind?

FWIW, BB is a 2+2'er and knew I was a 2+2'er as well.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t440)
MP (t2130)
Hero (t1790)
Button (t685)
SB (t750)
BB (t2205)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG raises to t440 (All-in), <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero raises to t1790 (All-in)...

BDarch
05-02-2005, 01:18 AM
i like it especially since the BB was a 2+2er and knew who you were which would lead him to lay down a lot of hands in this situation. With 6 people left still i like this move as an attempt to accumulate more chips for bubble play.

gumpzilla
05-02-2005, 01:24 AM
I think this is a pretty solid play. I don't think having three people behind you is a big deal; they're going to need big hands to tangle with you, and that won't happen all that often. I think AJo will perform quite well against the range of hands UTG is likely pushing with (I'd imagine she's particularly desperate because the blind comes next turn), and you're making it very difficult to be called. This is a good opportunity to catch up to the big stacks, in my opinion.

justin D
05-02-2005, 02:45 AM
I like the play as well, your in good shape as long as you dont run into KK or QQ.

ripped
05-02-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the play as well, your in good shape as long as you dont run into KK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah running in to QQ would suck balls

Tilt
05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Given what you know, BB's calling range is very narrow. KK-AA I figure. So thats like a 1% chance I think. I like an isolation reraise.

Degen
05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
this is an easy fold

Andre

Degen
05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
wow, just read the thread-guess i'm the only one who thinks that...spose i'll back it up.

1700 is an AWESOME stack going into the next round. You are prime for a victory. What does UTG have? Well you didn't say but i'm assuming the blinds aren't going up next hand so he'll have 320 after posting, not much diff from where he is now. I doubt he has A2 or A6. More likely he has a PP (could be any PP) or a big Ace like you. Maybe a bigger ace. He could also have KQ or if you're really luck KJ.

I still don't think its worth toying with your stack size in this situation for a marginal coin flippy pot. You'll be down to ~1200 if you lose and at ~2200 if you win. 2200 and 1700 aren't all the different with 100-200 blinds coming soon. But 1200-1700 are a lot different in terms of your ability to whether total rags and post your blinds. Though with 1200, once the blinds pass once at the next level, you are now in depseration mode.

FWIW I likely fold this even if nobody enters the pot. With this many chips I view this level awfully like i view 25-50. Ass tight with all but the mortal nuts.

Andre

Unarmed
05-02-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is an easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

gumpzilla
05-02-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More likely he has a PP (could be any PP) or a big Ace like you. Maybe a bigger ace. He could also have KQ or if you're really luck KJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This range is way too tight, I think. This is pretty much the last hand where he can hope to have folding equity, as any of the bigger stacks in the BB will call given the 2-1 they'll be getting when he pushes his 3 BB stack a few hands later. Against a range that reflects this - any ace, any broadway, any pair - you've got about 58% pot equity, which is pretty good. I haven't run ICM numbers but given that you're not crippled if you lose and not on easy street if you fold, I imagine that 58% is probably sufficient equity to make this call/push correct. If you say that UTG will push with basically any two, which I don't think is impossible, then it seems like a very easy call.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll be down to ~1200 if you lose and at ~2200 if you win. 2200 and 1700 aren't all the different with 100-200 blinds coming soon. But 1200-1700 are a lot different in terms of your ability to whether total rags and post your blinds. Though with 1200, once the blinds pass once at the next level, you are now in depseration mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I think there is some truth to this, you're going to want to be stealing pretty often up ahead whether you have 1200 or 1700. You're under 10 BBs in both cases at 1/2. While there are two other short stacks remaining, you can't be super comfortable in either case, as one double up by either of them will put you up in your ballpark. I don't think that dfscott is giving up a guaranteed ITM finish by calling this and losing; I think he'll help his chances substantially by winning and harm them similarly by losing.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I likely fold this even if nobody enters the pot. With this many chips I view this level awfully like i view 25-50. Ass tight with all but the mortal nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. I can't say that I like this all that much. This seems to me like a worthy place to start stealing from people with similar attitudes.

Unarmed
05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Calling UTG is not terrible (but I'm not going to anyway as I'm pot committed against 2 of 3 to act behind me)

However, shoving 17x BB in with AJo out of the CO certainly is.

Degen
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with most of what you said besides this.

[ QUOTE ]
I think he'll help his chances substantially by winning

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the % of his stack. 500 chips will be ~50% of his stack if he loses, whereas if he wins, that amount will make up just 25%. Whereas currently its about 33%.

Seems like adding a lot of unneccesary variance to your game.

But to each his own.

Andre
Who is willing to sacrifice his firstborn to maintain FE.