PDA

View Full Version : A note of thanks to B&M posters.

QuadsOverQuads
05-02-2005, 12:22 AM
A couple months back, I posted this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1507894&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) asking for advice about becoming a professional poker dealer.

Well, working forward from all the good advice I got here, I just landed my first dealing job /images/graemlins/smile.gif (in fact, I actually ended up with two job offers on the same day!) I'm totally psyched for this /images/graemlins/smile.gif My paperwork is being processed by the state gambling commission as we speak, and in a little more than a week I should be dealing live games.

The advice about learning Omaha/8 was spot-on, and I also have to put in a plug for 2+2's Professional Poker Dealer's Handbook, because it's a been a great reference throughout my training (yep, I actually paid for a vocational course -- I wanted the experience of dealing to a live group of students, and wow was it worth it. HUGE boost to my confidence when I started going out to submit applications and do auditions).

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone here who took time to steer me in the right direction. It really helped put me on the right track. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

q/q

youtalkfunny
05-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Glad to hear it.

Good luck to you.

youtalkfunny
05-02-2005, 02:27 AM
I clicked on the link, and looked at the old thread. To my shock, I read the following advice, posted by ME in January:

You don't want to do things at an audition like forget to take the rake...

Oh, the irony.

Now that the audition is over, and you've got the job, here's some advice for you:

You don't want to do things...like forget to take the rake...

Randy_Refeld
05-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Here is some more advoce for you. Look for peopel to work for you that understand the business at least as well ar you do. Nothing good comes from working for managers that don't understand the rules and procedures of poker.

juanez
05-02-2005, 04:07 AM
Congrats and good luck! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

private joker
05-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Don't be like this guy who was dealing the Bike 6/12 Friday night. The final board reads 89898. Guy 1 says "I play the board" and Guy 2 shows A9 and says "full house." The dealer says "chop chop" and starts splitting the chips. Guy 2 protests and says he has a 9, and the dealer says "you both have a full house -- your 9 doesn't play, sir, you can't use 6 cards."

Then 3 other players not in the hand go ballistic at the dealer for not knowing the difference between 8s full of 9s and 9s full of 8s. The dealer finishes chopping the pot and hands 1/2 to each player, and then the floor man is called over. They explain the situation to him and he says, "of course the guy with the 9 wins the pot." The dealer looks embarrassed but continues dealing the next hand. The guy who played the board tossed a few chips to the "winner."

Funnily enough, a half hour later, with a new dealer in the chair, I got KK and we were 3 on the river (in a very large pot) with a board of T6333. I turned over my hand and said "full house," and an angry guy turned over his TT, thinking he got rivered and I had kings full vs. his tens full. I said nothing but the dealer told TT that he won: "you have tens full of 3s and he has 3s full of kings!" Of course I get the *smart* dealer! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

(Just kidding -- if the dealer had pushed me the pot I'd have spoken up)

razor
05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The dealer finishes chopping the pot and hands 1/2 to each player, and then the floor man is called over.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf wasn't the floor called before the chips were shoved.

private joker
05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wtf wasn't the floor called before the chips were shoved.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer was ignoring the rantings of the players and chopped the pot in a hurry. It was one of the guys not in the hand who eventually had success calling the floor (he didn't even propose calling the floor until later), but it didn't happen until after the pot was chopped. Strangely, the guy with A9 was less upset than the players not in the hand. I actually didn't see the hand play out because I had just come back from the restroom during the river play and didn't get a chance to get my bearings and see the board until all the arguing started. But once I heard the pot was chopped, saw Guy 2's 9, and read the board before the cards were turned over, I told the chief protester (the guy who wasn't in the hand) that he was correct -- that the guy with the 9 should win the pot -- and that's when he called the floor.

This, by the way, is why I love playing the Bike 6/12. When 2 or 3 people at a table (including the dealer) can't even read the board properly and determine a winning hand, you know it's soft.

I went away up 2 racks that night.