PDA

View Full Version : Strange hand hits TP from the BB

swolfe
05-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Villain was pretty TAG, although he was doing a lot of PF raising. 16/9.3 with a 9 post-flop agg over 43 hands. not many, but obviously he was playing tight.

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero ($327.72)
UTG ($203.9)
UTG+1 ($204)
MP1 ($214.3)
MP2 ($308.36)
MP3 ($200)
CO ($200.1)
Button ($99.35)
SB ($224.75)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($8) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7.6</font>, CO calls $7.60, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($23.20) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $30</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($83.20) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $20</font>, Hero ???

Also, who folds to the min-raise on the turn?

EverettKings
05-02-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($8) K, 6, T (4 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $7.6, CO calls $7.60, Button folds, SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer to play hands like this passively, check it over and either call a modest bet or release to a sign of real strength. You don't really want to take control of the betting here out of position, because unless you take it down on the flop, it gets hard.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: ($23.20) 8 (2 players)
Hero bets $15, CO raises to $30, Hero calls $15.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't mind firing a second shell given that you bet the flop, but I insta-muck to the raise here. You've overplayed your hand thus far, and although he *might* be bluffing, more than often he has you smoked, and it will be quite expensive to look him up.

[ QUOTE ]

River: ($83.20) 4 (2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets $20, Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't see the river. But had I, I'd look him up getting 4:1 on the off chance that he bluffed a turn draw and is making a pathetic final stab. I really don't mind mucking here either but the hand should have been settled before this.

At the risk of sounding mean, you played this hand as if you were a noob that limped K7s UTG. I know it 'feels different' when you got in from the blinds, but the same concepts apply. You don't want to go buckwild when you catch your top pair, as you are very likely to either take down a small pot now, or lose a big one later. This is a PROCEED WITH CAUTION scenario.

-Kings

kurto
05-02-2005, 02:13 AM
I hate this hand.

I don't mind a bet on the flop (though you'd do just as well betting half the pot.) But if you're called by a guy you say is tight, and the only draw is a straight, you're most likely beat.

I can't imagine you thought you were likely to be ahead.

Once he minreraised you, you were more then likely just spewing chips.

Suntzu00000
05-02-2005, 02:24 AM
This is a flop with check written all over it. I don't hate the idea of a half-pot bet on the flop, but if the tight player calls you, you are most likely finished anyway. The turn bet was worse because you know his hand is most likely superior to yours and he already showed he was willing to call into a board with no obvious draws on it. You risked being reraised in a situation where you shouldn't call a bet.

swolfe
05-02-2005, 09:32 AM
i'm just going to quote my reply to the other similar hand:

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i posted these because they are both cases of not sticking to the plan. either that or the plan not taking into account getting called on a drawless flop. i like to take shots at a lot of flops to set up fast playing my big hands, but usually i win the pot, get raised by people with better hands, or called by draws.

in both this hand and the K7 hand, the boards are pretty drawless, so i'm only being called by superior hands. i should have gone into check-fold mode in both cases.

posting these was a sort of penance for having such dumb hands be my biggest losers yesterday /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

in this hand, he had 66. i think both of them played way too scared with their sets...shrug.

KowCiller
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey man, I really think ya gotta go into check-call mode on this one.

If I did take your line, I'd definitely dump the turn.

I don't play the $200 game though so I can't really comment on the validity of your lead out to give credibility to your fast playing sets. If people in the $200 do pay attention to that stuff, then I don't hate your line as much, but I think it's a definite dump on the turn in that case.

KoW

xorbie
05-02-2005, 01:52 PM
I usually check/fold this type of flop, unless the bet comes in from the last player to act. If that person likes to auto-bet a checked around flop I might check/raise. After that I'm probably done with the hand.

If it's checked around I bet most turns.