PDA

View Full Version : The Contender

SuitedSixes
05-01-2005, 11:09 PM
What a tough fight to watch. Two of the most likeable guys battling it out.

What cost Joey is his confidence. In both of his fights he started tentative until something happened to give him a reason to believe he belonged in the ring. If he had just started out with that confidence in the first round he would have won.

With the damage to his rib, it is unlikely he would have been able to continue so maybe it's best that it ended the way it did.

Manfredo has yet to be as impressive as billed.

Can't wait to see Brinkley fight next week!

this guy
05-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I definately think Joey went into the fight with a bad attitude. His first fight he went in wanting to prove that he wasn't the weakest fighter there, but for this one he just seemed scared of Manfredo and it showed during the first two rounds. Good episode though, and next weeks should be really awesome.

Non_Comformist
05-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Agreed about Manfriedom he has been exposed in all of his fights. even if he were to win this, there is no way he could seriously compete for world title based on these performances.

As for this week I really thought it should have been scored a draw with Peter taking the first 2, Joey the 3&4 and the final round a draw. However, with Joey unlikely able to fight in 3 weeks, it was probably for the best.

renodoc
05-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Apparently the gash from the headbutt would have precluded him from fighting again during the series. Tough break. I thought the fight a draw tonight.

SuitedSixes
05-02-2005, 02:11 AM
If not the gash, then the broken rib.

Richie Rich
05-02-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What a tough fight to watch. Two of the most likeable guys battling it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
While it was exciting to watch a tie-breaking battle between two hungry&tired boxers in the 5th round, Joey was no longer a "goodfella" (in my eyes) after he tried to unfairly go after the injured boxer, Anthony.

SuitedSixes
05-02-2005, 02:55 AM
Anthony has been fair game for about four weeks now. I like Brinkley, but he has been the most manipulative on the show.

The Yugoslavian
05-02-2005, 03:05 AM
I wish I could see the damn thing live so I had a better idea of who actually fought better. The way it's all spliced together there is just no way to know exactly how close it was. It sure *seemed* close and that had not the headbutt occured the final decision would have been different. If Joey really did fight that passively in the first couple of rounds, though, then he really should have expected to lose the fight....he didn't look like he was even trying at all.

Yugoslav

Apathy
05-02-2005, 04:25 AM
I watched this show today for the first time and was very impressed, I liked joey, but totally didn't understand why he was being a big pussy for the first couple rounds.

Have there been any knockouts? The fights are all quite short (for good reason as they have to fight several times in a short period of time). Will the final fight go longer the 5 rounds?

Popinjay
05-02-2005, 04:29 AM
re: joey + pussy in first 2 rounds

I don't think he pussied out in the first 2 rounds. My thinking is that Manfredo is a far more skilled fighter than Joey but Joey is a beast physically. So once Manfredo gets tired after beating up on Joey for a while, Joey's huge punches are then able to connect against Manfredo's fatigued defense. That's why he's always doing better in later rounds I think.

Felix_Nietsche
05-02-2005, 10:19 AM
That was a GREAT fight!!!

Joey made a FANTASTIC comeback. Injured, beat-up, and facing a more skilled fighter he dug deep to come back and smash Manfredo in rounds 3 and 4. Going into the 5th round, I said to myself, 'My god, Joey may win this!'. Joey made a few defensive mistakes in round 5 but also got in a few licks. Based on the editing, I thought Manfedo SLIGHTLY won the 5th. I liked both fighters. I hated the fact the one had to lose.

My favorite part of the fight was when Joey limped back to his corner (1st or 2nd) obviously hurt and losing the fight and had the following verbal exchange between his corner man.

Joey: He broke my rib, my rib is gone".
Corner Man: "Are you going to quit?!"...Said with anger
Joey: No
Corner Man: 'Then **** your rib'
Or words to the effect. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 'Joey' that emerged from that corner to punish Manfedo in rounds 3 and 4 was an INSPIRATIONAL fighter....

Wow! Great Show. My thanks to the poster who posted the topic "The best show your not watching". You have me hooked on that show.

BellyBuster7
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anthony has been fair game for about four weeks now. I like Brinkley, but he has been the most manipulative on the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's been about as manipulative as Joey. Seems like whenever Brinkley wins a challenge, he finds an excuse not to fight (hungover from Vegas, tweaked hamstring). Looking forward to seeing him take on Bonsante next week. "#1 Daddy" could surprise him a little.

Another great episode!

brokedickrooster
05-02-2005, 11:30 AM
The Yugoslavian is right, it certainly "seemed" close, based on the editing. As a fromer fighter myself though, I'll tell you one thing, when Manfredo's father got up in his face in his corner between rounds 3 and 4, wouldn't let him have any water, and was berating him in front of his corner team, that was quite innappropriate. I also laughed when his father came up before round 5 and told him that "I need this round". Sounds liek the father is already spending the kids money. What an ass.

Bonsante has to go down next week. I don't think that the #1 Daddy can compete.

I do feel bad for Porter though. He showed a tremendous amount of heart.

BWebb
05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Another awesome fight. Can't wait for next week, Anthony is the guy I'm rooting for. It should be an awesome fight, those two just seem to match up evenly. Depending on how much trouble the hammy gives him, I think Anthony can win.

tek
05-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Manfredo said his father has been at every fight (except maybe one) in his career. He probably knows how to motivate Jr after all these years. Hard to judge Sr with so little evidence.

astroglide
05-02-2005, 01:11 PM
the editing is becoming a big hindrance. you can infer how it went from sly's gloves comments, when he gave the necklace to alfonso he commented about how it wasn't close and that he dominated the match. watching the fight last week, it would have you believe that ahmed had a chance midway into the fight. i think they only keep it real if there's a KO.

i have wanted anthony to win for a long time. they said next week has the most stunning/surprising/whatever finish yet, who knows what that means.

SuitedSixes
05-02-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was a GREAT fight!!!

Joey made a FANTASTIC comeback. Injured, beat-up, and facing a more skilled fighter he dug deep to come back and smash Manfredo in rounds 3 and 4. Going into the 5th round, I said to myself, 'My god, Joey may win this!'. Joey made a few defensive mistakes in round 5 but also got in a few licks. Based on the editing, I thought Manfedo SLIGHTLY won the 5th. I liked both fighters. I hated the fact the one had to lose.

My favorite part of the fight was when Joey limped back to his corner (1st or 2nd) obviously hurt and losing the fight and had the following verbal exchange between his corner man.

Joey: He broke my rib, my rib is gone".
Corner Man: "Are you going to quit?!"...Said with anger
Joey: No
Corner Man: 'Then **** your rib'
Or words to the effect. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 'Joey' that emerged from that corner to punish Manfedo in rounds 3 and 4 was an INSPIRATIONAL fighter....

Wow! Great Show. My thanks to the poster who posted the topic "The best show your not watching". You have me hooked on that show.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other great corner scene:
Brinkley (to Joey's Dad): "Will you get over here and tell your son to fight this guy?"

It looks like a few people are new to the show, so I will let you know that you can always see more extended scenes at yahoo.tv.

SuitedSixes
05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he's been about as manipulative as Joey. Seems like whenever Brinkley wins a challenge, he finds an excuse not to fight (hungover from Vegas, tweaked hamstring). Looking forward to seeing him take on Bonsante next week. "#1 Daddy" could surprise him a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brinkley's motives may be questionable, but I really like how he seemed to mentor Joey. There was the scene where Joey even admitted that Jesse was doing te same thing that his dad would do if he were there. With the editing, the truth lies somewhere between here and there, but I think that Jesse is an interesting "character" on the show. Especially when you see some of the extended scenes that don't get shown on TV.

Richie Rich
05-02-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anthony is the guy I'm rooting for. It should be an awesome fight, those two just seem to match up evenly. Depending on how much trouble the hammy gives him, I think Anthony can win.

[/ QUOTE ]
What?!? At first I thought you were kidding... Not sure how you think "#1 Daddy" can beat a quicker, stronger boxer. Especially with a torn hammy. The only reason why this should be a good fight at all is b/c Anthony will have to rely on getting some hard hits in there as Jesse attacks. And I'm sure there will be some good knocks up close. But I don't see how an injured Anthony could beat a quicker and stronger Jesse.

astroglide
05-02-2005, 04:06 PM
it should be difficult for him to win, but hopefully still fun to watch. from what i've seen it seems like anthony throws the biggest bombs in the competition, nobody else seemed to punch as hard as him.

SuitedSixes
05-02-2005, 04:29 PM
What about this? Anthony is NOT hurt and just throwing a rope-a-dope? Not beyond him by any means.

astroglide
05-02-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about this? Anthony is NOT hurt and just throwing a rope-a-dope? Not beyond him by any means.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be truly awesome, but it would mean he would be limited in training for the fight if he's keeping up the ruse