PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

Catch of the Day
05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I am moved up from 3/6 to 5/10 full awhile ago. I few of you have said that that was retarded that I am not playing 6-max. My db is no where big enough to say whether or not the game is good, but I haven't really experienced the tightish rockgarden that so many of you described? Am I really missing out on not playing the 6-max?

Comments?

Catch-

jgorham
05-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I putzed around a bit in the 5/10 full as well, and now play the 6max varient, so feel like I can answer this...

I originally played the full game because I knew that I just didn't play well shorthanded. I didn't know exactly why, but I figured I would just build up a roll playing 5/10 and 10/20 full then move right to the 15/30 game. I found the 5/10 full game to be quite beatable. But when I did finally have a roll and start to play 15/30, I knew I wasn't prepared for the super aggressive shorthanded situations which are very common.

5/10 6max tests you as a player differently than the 5/10 full game. The players are much looser and more aggressive, so you need to adjust well to play them profitably. And for whats its worth, after I got used to the 6max games my winrate was higher than at the full tables.

So in short, if your longterm goal is the 15/30 game, then the reason to play the 6max games is to expose yourself to different types of tests.

Fnord
05-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Short-handed forces you to play the kind of marginal situations that agressive players will put you in more often as you move up. Also, with the Party 2/3 structure at 15/30 you will have to play more hands from your blinds.

My time at 5/10 6 max probably wins me an extra hand every 4x 3/6 session I play in.