PDA

View Full Version : NBC Heads up Tourney

GrannyMae
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
i just watched this on tivo. if you missed it, it is weekly so you can catch it next week.

i'm certain this has been discussed all day in the TV forum but i think it relates a ton to the zoo because of the recent topics.

i have never seen a televised event like this. it is classy, it is mainstream, it is a thing of beauty.

64 top names. all allowed to wear a sponsor logo, but all dressed very nicely. doyle's cowboy hat is emroidered "Doyle's Room" of course.

the rest of the logos are large, visible and in no way hidden.

the first commercial started with fossilman. i did not know it was a commercial. it seemed like a fluff piece they run between commercials in all other events. however, it turned out to be fossil sitting in what looked like his den at home. he talked about practicing and studying and said a great place to do it was pokerstars.net

the commercial was like masterful literature compared to the pokerstars.net commercial that him and moneymaker do. this one was like a famous figure sitting in a nice home, dressed nicely and discussing poker. the pokerstars.net thing was barely in there. it was intelligent. that's the key, the commercial was intelligent and assumed that the people watching were not bowlers and chain smoking trailer trash. the marketing company that produced this spot could be the same company that does nike commercials for all i know. it did not have any sort of used car feel to it. it had a merrill lynch type feel to it.

it was an amazing spot and shows what level poker is about to reach.

the rest of the hour absolutely blew me away in production values, quality and quantity of commercials, open sponsorship (these players must be getting HUGE money to wear these clothes. and again, it is not t-shirts)

this tournament today showed me a level of public poker that i never could envision because it shows another solution to another exponential equation. i am blown away by what i saw and what's more exciting is that this is just week 1. the learning curve will make this better, just as has happened with the wpt.

for the eternal timeline of poker history, NBC televising of this event should be put in your calendar next to the first airing of the wpt in terms of importance.

yes, they did that special before the superbowl, but that don't count. this new weekly series is where it starts. the biggest value of all of this is the fact that it was on a US network. network poker!! game *ON*

NBC has legitimized poker in a way that surpasses anything we have seen before and ABC and CBS is going to want on this gravy train.

even the lipstick cam is sponsored.

what a show..

thanks NBC!

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/b0/pray.gif

they have opened another door. this door is going to bring in even more cash for all of us in the business. promoting or grinding or both, today was good day for us.

XChamp
05-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I thought it was very well done also. Even the human interest stories were, well, interesting (I'm thinking of Orenstein here).

GrannyMae
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
(I'm thinking of Orenstein here).

who's 'toy' is certainly entry #1 on the calendar.

i think he said DS told him he "changed poker forever", which seemed to make the old man very happy and humble

sublime
05-01-2005, 10:43 PM
it was an amazing spot and shows what level poker is about to reach

i agree. the boom is far from over. it may be on the way 'down', but this train has plenty more stops to make /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Spartacus
05-01-2005, 11:29 PM
I am sorry that I missed it.

Would anyone happen to have a Bit Torrent link for it yet? I am sure there are lots of ZOOers besides myself that would love to see it.

GrannyMae
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am sorry that I missed it.

Would anyone happen to have a Bit Torrent link for it yet? I am sure there are lots of ZOOers besides myself that would love to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

good news (as long as you get cnbc)

i checked my local grid which in this case is probably natl.

<font color="green"> 2005 National Heads-Up Poker Championship... (repeat) Thu. 05/05/05 11:00 pm 34 CNBC </font>

Kevmath
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
It also airs at 8pm Thursday on CNBC.

Kevin...

Lawrence Ng
05-02-2005, 12:02 AM
Just want to say your emoticons rock Granny.

Lawrence

MicroBob
05-02-2005, 08:50 AM
I generally agree with the ideas here.

1 - Yes...it was definitely nice to see a newer, better pokerstars ad (although associating it to Nike ads was a bit of a stretch...but it was still a good ad)

2 - The studio/arena where the play took place did indeed look very classy...and the Golden Nugget spots that aired during the show with Tony Bennett played on this 'classy/cool' theme as well.

3 - I agree the feature pieces were mostly interesting.

4 - I'm not entirely convinced this is a date as significant as the start of the WPT beginning as far as poker is concerned. Yes...it's on NBC and I think that's a VERY BIG deal...but I was certainly hoping for a better time-slot. The CNBC re-runs in prime-time will help some also though.
Commercials on NBC is also nice. Just not sure it will prove to be AS significant as we are hoping.
The fact that a certain famous player winds up winning this thing (don't want to be a spoiler) will probably help in the long-run too.

5 - There was SOME cover on the ads on the clothing. I think it was moneymaker's hat that looked like they put some sort of patch over the dot-com part of pokerstars. But this covering was insignificant.

6 - ESPN already sponsors their lipstick camera. It's the Miller High-life pocket-cam I think. Just pointing out that NBC wasn't the first to do this.

7 - I thought the poker could have been more interesting/exciting. There was a lot of action going on but we saw a couple of goofier looking all-in's where one of the players must have been short-stacked but we really didn't get to see much of that action. Layne Flack bowing-out was just a hand-shake and he leaves. Zero hands I believe.

So....the coverage wasn't QUITE as interesting or exciting as I was hoping it would be. But I still liked it (certainly miles and miles better than poker on E, Bravo and Speed Channel)

8 - Matt Vasgersian did a decent job on play-by-play....just as he did on the Super Bowl Sunday PSI coverage. Gabe Kaplan is much better with a decent play-by-play guy leading him along. Neither got excessively excited in a Sexton/VVP 'They'll be talking about this hand for 50 years' kind of way.
The commentary was relevant and professional which was a refreshing departure from the 'Norm' (pun intended).

Back to #1. I might be underestimating the impact this will have. I can very easily see this show (particularly with the ads and the continued 'mainstreaming' of poker) having the kind of significance that granny envisions.

freekobe
05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
Having seen episodes 2 and 3, set to air next Saturday (5/7 at 330PM EST for 90 mins) and Sunday (5/8 at 12PM EST for 60 mins), this show only gets better. There are more hands shown, there is more drama, and more table talk.

Players were permitted to wear logos for the tournament as long as the logos did not exceed the size restriction and as long as they were not "dot-com." All of the ads were dot.net as well.

The time slot (noon on sundays) is not ideal, but if the show does well in the Nielsen ratings and if the public receives it well, all of this will change in years to come.

vindikation
05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Personally I thought it was one of the worst poker events I have ever seen. Great that it was on national TV, but I want to watch more hands played and less background stories. I guess middle America doesn't want to watch that though.Of course I'll still watch all of the episodes (like all of the other poker shows I'm addicted to).

btw I'm glad Poker Stars finally got a better produced commercial. That old one looks like ass, especially compared to the Full Tilt and Party commercials.

ScottTheFish
05-02-2005, 12:22 PM
What's the actual title of the show so i can do a TiVo search for it?

freekobe
05-02-2005, 12:49 PM
It is on Saturday at 330PM EST, right before the Kentucky Derby.

Do a season pass off that.

Shoe
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately, I missed it. Were there any paradise commercials on NBC? Or are they missing the boat again?

berya
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
"Were there any paradise commercials on NBC?"

Don't believe so.

GrannyMae
05-02-2005, 04:39 PM
99% of my excitement over this show was the NBC factor. no matter how important the wpt is, and regardless of whether this show was enjoyable or not, it's the first regular series of events on a major US network.

travel and espn get great ratings, but their best ratings won't touch the exposure that the networks can provide.