PDA

View Full Version : AA hand

betgo
05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Live 1/2 NL game. Two limpers. I raise in 4th position to 15 with AA. Second limper calls. I start with $160, villain has me covered.

Flop comes 754r. I bet 20, villain calls. Turn is a 5, making the board 7543 with a 2-flush. Villain leads out betting 85. What should I do?

RED FACE
05-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Brutal. Raise less pre then pot the flop and probably fold the turn. Hands you don't want to see are 33-77. Wouldn't he have cr'ed you on the flop with an overpair like JJ? It's tough though imo.

-Skeme-
05-01-2005, 07:34 PM
Fold. I don't see a whole lot you're beating. I'd assume he'd raise you on the flop with a smaller overpair. I don't see KK playing it like this too often. It's also harder to play these hands with 0 information on Villain.

betgo
05-01-2005, 08:18 PM
I folded. I thought villain might be stealing or have a low pair or draw. Since I had raised preflop, I should have an overpair or high cards and the board missed me completely, so he could bluff at it. He knows it is very unlikely I have the straight. There is $75 in the pot and I have $125, so I am getting a certain amount of pot odds.

On the other hand, since villain limp/called preflop he is likely to have a pair or suited connector and there are a lot of ways he could have me beat with that board.

I had just moved to that table, so I had no reads on villain. I later saw him raise allin with T9 on a J84 flop, which made me wonder if I should have pushed.

beset7
05-01-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I folded. I thought villain might be stealing or have a low pair or draw. Since I had raised preflop, I should have an overpair or high cards and the board missed me completely, so he could bluff at it. He knows it is very unlikely I have the straight. There is $75 in the pot and I have $125, so I am getting a certain amount of pot odds.

On the other hand, since villain limp/called preflop he is likely to have a pair or suited connector and there are a lot of ways he could have me beat with that board.

I had just moved to that table, so I had no reads on villain. I later saw him raise allin with T9 on a J84 flop, which made me wonder if I should have pushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't second guess yourself here that was a good fold. Most people would have lost their buyin.

CHiPS
05-01-2005, 10:08 PM
I usually don't like to commit my whole stack with an overpair, but with Aces I am willing to make an exception sometimes. I would have considered going all in here.
The raise to 15 preflop is huge, I just don't see the point with raises this big. If I have Aces I want action from 1 or two players.
So what could he have called you with ? Maybe 66 or 77 but also maybe any pair higher than 7-7 - its more likely to me that he called the 15 with a medium pair or better rather than low connectors or low pairs.
On the flop he checks, you bet, he calls. He could easily have an overpair and thinks you may be bluffing AK or he may have QQ and thinks you might have less of an overpair.
Now a straight and a flush draw show up on the turn. Some people just react here, not necessarily think it through. He sees two draws - he has an overpair - jam the pot.
The real problem with all these overpair situations is that you'd love to know something about your opponent. Just from the actions its easy to say that if I were in his shoes I'd have me beat. But who is this guy ? I've just seen so much silliness at this level (which means he could have called your raise with 5-4 suited also).
So anyway I think I'd be more scared with Kings Queens or Jacks out there than the low cards.
What we need is a massive database of statistics as to what the average person at a given game/limit is willing to go all in with.

mason55
05-01-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The raise to 15 preflop is huge, I just don't see the point with raises this big. If I have Aces I want action from 1 or two players.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point that I assume hero would know that a bet that size was getting called at that table on a regular basis. If so, there's no reason to raise any smaller.

betgo
05-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeh, 15 was getting called. Plus with 2 limpers in front of me 12 would be a standard raise. I didn't want to play AA 4-way or something. I've seen some 1/2 table where over raises were standard and others with fairly normal size raises.