PDA

View Full Version : I like the corporate life

lordfoo
05-01-2005, 04:09 PM
I have observed an underappreciation on 2+2 for the corporate environment that often tends toward downright disdain.

I really like my corner of the corporate world. I work in a scientific field, and it is part engineering, part pure research. I get to interact with other people, solve problems, and feel a sense of contribution and personal development.

I also like poker. I supported myself in grad school by playing live games in my town. It was an enjoyable way to get out of the house and do something besides study for my qualifying exams or write a thesis. Now that I have a "real job", I don't need to play poker in order to save money for the future, so it's a lot more enjoyable.

I like playing poker. I was a semi-pro for a significant period of time. I am now a "working stiff", but I like my job. The bottom line is that I think people on 2+2 have an underappreciation for cubicle-and-office-land.

swede123
05-01-2005, 04:15 PM
If your job is part engineering and part pure research I'd hardly call you part of "corporate life." To me corporate life involves having five or more bosses, spending more time covering your ass than doing work, and working on being promoted to middle management. Oh, and completing TPS reports.

Swede

billyjex
05-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Sounds like you haven't got the memo.

mason55
05-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Anything where you get to do "pure research" is NOT the corporate life.

The corporate life is the exact opposite in fact.

Duke
05-01-2005, 04:43 PM
As a fulltime researcher at CERN, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

You do realize that you aren't part of the corporate world at all, right?

~D

BeerMoney
05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a fulltime researcher at CERN, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

You do realize that you aren't part of the corporate world at all, right?

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

He's saying he doesn't mind 9-5.

masse75
05-01-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your job is part engineering and part pure research I'd hardly call you part of "corporate life." To me corporate life involves having five or more bosses, spending more time covering your ass than doing work, and working on being promoted to middle management. Oh, and completing TPS reports.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

You DID get the memo about the TPS reports?

LotsOfOuts69
05-01-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have observed an underappreciation on 2+2 for the corporate environment that often tends toward downright disdain.

I really like my corner of the corporate world. I work in a scientific field, and it is part engineering, part pure research. I get to interact with other people, solve problems, and feel a sense of contribution and personal development.

I also like poker. I supported myself in grad school by playing live games in my town. It was an enjoyable way to get out of the house and do something besides study for my qualifying exams or write a thesis. Now that I have a "real job", I don't need to play poker in order to save money for the future, so it's a lot more enjoyable.

I like playing poker. I was a semi-pro for a significant period of time. I am now a "working stiff", but I like my job. The bottom line is that I think people on 2+2 have an underappreciation for cubicle-and-office-land.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk to me in 3 years, see if your 9-5 is awesome then.