PDA

View Full Version : How to get started?

xPuns1her
05-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the twoplustwo boards but I've been lurking for a good while now. Anyway, I have decided to try playing $50+5 sit n gos on Party Poker exclusively. I want to know what people think a proper starting bank roll is. Also is this a good way to make money consistantly? I can place in the top 3 in $50+5's on Party Poker 7 out of 10 times. I tried using poker tracker but it was too complicated and I lost interest. I heard there is a skin for Party Poker that displays other players stats? That might be a more useful and easy device for me to track stats. Does anyone have the link? I want to be able to make a good income. Around 5K a month for me would be fine. Is this even possible playing only $55 sit n gos or will I have to move up to 109's after a little while? Your thoughts are welcome.

thanks

also, I noticed a Party Poker ad imprinted on the field of an arena football game on NBC this morning. This made me laugh as well as give me a little reason for concern. Isn't the government going to catch on sooner or later and ban internet poker. Party Poker is advertisting through massive media now, it's basically an illegal company advertising on a mainstream basis. I dont know much about the laws on the subject but I figure the US government cant let this go on forever. /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

octaveshift
05-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Lame troll.

xPuns1her
05-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Did I do something wrong here? Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

octaveshift
05-01-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did I do something wrong here? Thanks for the warm welcome fellas.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I see lines like "I can place in the top 3 in $50+5's on Party Poker 7 out of 10 times." I assume it's a joke.

My bad.

tech
05-01-2005, 06:34 PM
There is a FAQ post that was bumped today and should still be on the first few pages. That will answer most of your questions, including why you cannot sustain your winrate.

As far as the legality of Internet poker, that is a topic for the Internet Gambling forum. But if you want my opinion, it is far more likely that it will become legal in the US at some point in the future.

jumpthru
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the boards xPun1sher! I hope that was warm enough for you. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I know there are alot of people here that only play sit-n-gos. Some do quite well--I am not one of them, I suck at poker. You should definitly start reading the single table forum, and start understanding the different terminology such as ROI% and what decent numbers are. Don't give up on poker tracker--if you are truly serious then it will greatly help your game.

Also post hand histories and realise that we are all students of the game. Once you open your mind to the thoughts of those that are successfull you will follow in their righteous pathway. The number one problem with poker players is dicipline. You cannot go on tilt when you go on a losing streak--thats part of poker. Just remember that if you play well, in the end the odds will work out in your favor.

Misfire
05-01-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But if you want my opinion, it is far more likely that it will become legal in the US at some point in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing about marijuanna.

tech
05-01-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the same thing about marijuanna.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference in my opinion is that marijuana is explicitly illegal in most cases, whereas poker is more of in a legal limbo. It is not clear at all that online poker is even illegal, thus there is no way they can enforce it.

xPuns1her
05-01-2005, 06:49 PM
mmmm chronic /images/graemlins/cool.gif

microbet
05-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Your bio says you are a struggling poker player. Are you struggling to get in the money 80% of the time in the $55s?

xPuns1her
05-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Ok, the place in the top 3 7 out of 10 times was taken out of my most recent 10 sit n gos. Over the long run im sure it is average. But I do know so far in playing sit n gos I have had a positive ROI.

Im still new at this and I have to learn all the jargon. Like EV, UTG, MGR, and all those other terms.

valenzuela
05-01-2005, 06:59 PM
U cant even expect 50% ITM( u wont make the money more than half the time)in the long run.

microbet
05-01-2005, 07:01 PM
A fantastic percentage of finishing in the top 3 in the $55s would be 45%; and I mean fantastic.

There is another thread in the top 10 about where to find stuff and it has a link to a resource page that has tons of info, including 'how much can a good player expect to win?' and 'how many games do I need before I know what my true ROI is?'.

edit: look in the help heads up thread

Phill S
05-01-2005, 11:04 PM
you guys are far too tollarent of trolls.

just ignore them and then they go away.

let the thread die.

BDarch
05-01-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can place in the top 3 in $50+5's on Party Poker 7 out of 10 times.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line made my day

Blackjack
05-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Chill out on the guy alright?

Some people have inflated statistics and thing that it truly is accurate. Like my Dad for example - he still claims that he used to get into the top 3 on the 5+1$ SNGs on Paradise 7 out of 10 times.

I highly doubt this although he is a decent poker player - even at the 5+1s. Let them discover by being nice what the true ROI is.

Blackjack