PDA

View Full Version : Betting strategy

Delanger
05-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Hi,

I am trying to get into using a tight agressive strategy (for NoLimit Holdem) Online and also in my regular home game and I have a number of questions I hope people can help me with.

1) In my home game, when I started betting big, I got a lot of 'attitude' from people. It was all in good spirits but they were not happy and made comments about taking the fun out of the game and taking it all too seriusly. What's the best response to that? I obviously want to win and while I was playing TA I was winning but I became less Tight and less agressive (and lost!!)

2) How big should a bet be to be a good sized bet in TA play? I was generally raising to 4xBig Blind. Sometimes if my hand didn't greatly improve and there were still too many in the hand I would go bigger. Anyone have any other suggestions?

3) As my chipstack went down I began to lose the agression as any large bet would cripple me. The blinds were also getting larger and they would have eaten at my stack also. What is the best strategy at this point?

Thanks,

Liam.

M.B.E.
05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
That isn't a Theory question, try posting in the Home Poker forum.

JoshuaD
05-01-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I am trying to get into using a tight agressive strategy (for NoLimit Holdem) Online and also in my regular home game and I have a number of questions I hope people can help me with.

1) In my home game, when I started betting big, I got a lot of 'attitude' from people. It was all in good spirits but they were not happy and made comments about taking the fun out of the game and taking it all too seriusly. What's the best response to that? I obviously want to win and while I was playing TA I was winning but I became less Tight and less agressive (and lost!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to build an image as a gambler. Everyone likes a gambler. Try not to act too seriously at the table, act like you believe it's all luck and you just like gambling.

[ QUOTE ]
2) How big should a bet be to be a good sized bet in TA play? I was generally raising to 4xBig Blind. Sometimes if my hand didn't greatly improve and there were still too many in the hand I would go bigger. Anyone have any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop you should be raising relative to the BB, 3-5x is standard, but if they'll call more, push more with your big hands.

After the flop you want to think in terms of the pot. 1/2-pot, pot, 3/2-pot and 2x-pot bets all have their place (and everything in between). Pay attention to the odds your laying, that's how you make your money.

[ QUOTE ]
3) As my chipstack went down I began to lose the agression as any large bet would cripple me. The blinds were also getting larger and they would have eaten at my stack also. What is the best strategy at this point?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I get short I try to get my money in with any hand that has decent showdown capability. Don't be afraid of the big stacks, get your little stack in there or rebuy.

Delanger
05-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Thanks for the reply!!!!javascript:void(0)
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Try to build an image as a gambler. Everyone likes a gambler. Try not to act too seriously at the table, act like you believe it's all luck and you just like gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play with work collegues and we have played several times before. This time was the first time I applied the agression part of the TA strategy. Before this I only played tight and limped in. So I would end up bleeding away my chip stack. I won one (the first) tournament so they have a little respect but the last 3 (we have only been playing regularly 4 sessions) I didn't even get to the money (top 2).

The players range from good to total (and very lucky!!) novice. One novice had won 2 of the 4!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop you should be raising relative to the BB, 3-5x is standard, but if they'll call more, push more with your big hands.

After the flop you want to think in terms of the pot. 1/2-pot, pot, 3/2-pot and 2x-pot bets all have their place (and everything in between). Pay attention to the odds your laying, that's how you make your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anywhere I can find a guide or some examples of when to use each of the pot multiples?

Also if I am mixing it up should I just be 'bluffing' limping in? Or Limp in with weak hands and cut my losses? How do I project a gambler image without it costing?

[ QUOTE ]

When I get short I try to get my money in with any hand that has decent showdown capability. Don't be afraid of the big stacks, get your little stack in there or rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ] /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

We only rebuy during the first hour and with the twice winning calling machine it means stealing pots/blinds is pretty much impossible and my GOSH was he lucky last time!!! I suppose I have to rely on the fact that he will not always be so lucky.

It's frustrating because he will not change his play yet as he has no reason to!! His startegy and playing style is proving successful at the moment!!

eOXevious
05-02-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was all in good spirits but they were not happy and made comments about taking the fun out of the game and taking it all too seriusly. What's the best response to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I take poker very seriously, and my friend eventually realized that when the game is taken as seriously as I took it, they started becomeing more serious. I play poker to win money with strategy, but minimize the gambleing. That other guy is right though, you can disguise your strategy playing by making your self look like your gambleing. I think you gotta play more than 4 games to find out who is really good, cause luck is a factor in poker. I would continue playing tight, and beting high if thats what you feel comfortable with and if thats what is winning the game. I use my friend time to learn, why did I loose that hand? Why did I draw for that hand? How many outs do I have (quickly in my head)? What kind of read can I get from my friends? Its more fun folding a lot and watching them play, thats how you get your mind off your folded cards. If they wanna play no-limit, tell them they gotta deal with your play style, cause you gotta deal with their crappy loose playing style, which is even more irritating than a tight player. But I like loose players, cause when they get lucky, they usually loose it all.

johnc
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Harrington on Holdem is a great book on NL tournament play. It'll answer alot of your ?s about bet size, etc.

As far as your unhappy mates, if you play tight then you'll be watching alot of hands - I personally use this down time to joke around, build up a loose image, while at the same time gather info on your opponents. In ring games I'll try to portray this same friendly atttiude and you'd be surprised how many people show you their hands while in play (I'm out of course!) - thanks for the free info!

Delanger
05-03-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Harrington on Holdem is a great book on NL tournament play. It'll answer alot of your ?s about bet size, etc.

As far as your unhappy mates, if you play tight then you'll be watching alot of hands - I personally use this down time to joke around, build up a loose image, while at the same time gather info on your opponents. In ring games I'll try to portray this same friendly atttiude and you'd be surprised how many people show you their hands while in play (I'm out of course!) - thanks for the free info!

[/ QUOTE ]

That book sounds good and I like that idea of messing during down time. I will definatly do that as I think that will work.

Thanks for that and for everyone else who posted. I got lot's of good tips and ideas!!!!

Liam.