PDA

View Full Version : Stars 36+3 350K Qualifier

Rednax
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
If this was a different, lower-entry-fee tournament I would probably not question this hand, but I'm new to Stars and at this buyin level thought the quality of play would be pretty good. I'd appreciate any comments on the play (what are they representing, etc.?) and then after looking at the actual hands at the bottom, what would be the best lines of play for both players?

Seat 1 has played many hands in the first couple of orbits, Seat 7 has not.
Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: (1160 in chips)
Seat 2: (3140 in chips)
Seat 3: (1310 in chips)
Seat 4: (1560 in chips)
Seat 5: (2770 in chips)
Seat 7: (1420 in chips)
Seat 8: (640 in chips)
Seat 9: (1490 in chips)
Seat 8: posts small blind 10
Seat 9: posts big blind 20

Seat 1: calls 20
4 folds
Seat 7: raises 60 to 80
Blinds fold
Seat 1: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [2s Kh 3s]
Seat 1: bets 340
Seat 7: raises 1000 to 1340 and is all-in
Seat 1: calls 740 and is all-in

Hands revealed below:
<font color="white"> Seat 7: JcJh
Seat 1: Ks4s </font>

adanthar
05-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Just fold the flop when you're bet into with a bad overcard. Sorry you lost to K4s.

TheTimeIsUp
05-01-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm definalety on check/fold when that flop comes up. This doesn't qualify for a bad beat either since you got a large large majority of your chips in on the flop.

Rednax
05-01-2005, 03:05 PM
How did you both put him on a King? (Without looking?) To me, that large overbet meant "I don't have a drawing hand (except as part of a made hand) but I don't want to be called either."

So what does he have that does not want to be called? Obviously a bad King does not want to be called by AK or possibly KQs, but just as obviously, it will be. And what other King would raise 4x BB after an UTG limp?

Another hand that would not want to be called would be a pocket pair, fearing that an AQ or another big Ace with a spade or two might be willing to call a smaller bet.

And another hand that would not want to be called is an outright bluff.

All three of these hands lose to the Jacks. And all three should fold to an allin. Now he did have the straight draw and flush draw (both of which came in) but I don't think he would have made that play without the King so I think that's the real issue.

So how do you put him on a King?

Or do you say, "Hey, this is a lousy Stars $36+3 Qualifier where anything goes in the early rounds and he might have anything. Play it safe in the early rounds and fold anything that might be trouble?" (Which I is what I would say about a $10 Party or Pacific quali.)

Or do you say, "He played well, and you played badly."

Or do you say, "He played badly but generally the level of play at the $36 level is better than that."

TripleQ
05-01-2005, 05:39 PM
I think you're over analyzing the situation. Simplest answer is 36+3 is not a "high" buy-in and play is generally fairly poor.

That said, the all-in either means a K or a flush draw (that's the only consistent semi-bluff I see online). With the rainbow flop, there's no flush draw, so he's probably got a K and he's probably not thinking too much.