PDA

View Full Version : Misplayed KK on turn

Ojo_Rojo
05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
I have recently been struggling with playing premium pairs. Especially the juggling act of keeping the pot small versus charging draws, on the turn.

This hand comes up quite frequently, and I think is an example of a leak of mine. Please comment on all streets:

Cryptologic, full ring 100NL.
Villain $106 (bad, loose)
Hero $108 (tight passive, with a few leaks /images/graemlins/smirk.gif )

I am dealt KK UTG. I raise to $4.50. UTG+1 (Villain) calls, all folds, except BB who calls.

Flop: ($13.50) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $12, Villain calls, BB folds.

Turn: ($37.50) 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check, Villain checks.

River: ($37.50) J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, Villain bets $25, I call.

After some thought, due to the flush draw on the flop, I think I should have bet 1/2 - 3/4 pot sized on the turn, and fold to a raise (generally speaking), for these reasons:

a) A Villain with a flopped set usually would spring to life here, if not, he would have raised on the flop.
b) If I am raised, I would lose roughly the same amount of money as I did in the above hand. (Actually, if I had been raised by a set, I would have lost less here.)
c) I charge flopped draws to proceed any further than the turn.
d) A raise from a flush draw here is unlikely.

Does this seem reasonable? So judging by these random thoughts, checking to keep the pot small is only really appropriate with drawless flops, where you opponent is drawing slim to beat you if he hasnt beaten you already.

In this hand, Villain showed me A7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the free-rivered flush, and I feel stupid...

Thanks for any comments,

Ojo_Rojo

PokerFink
05-01-2005, 02:07 PM
You pretty much explained it to yourself.

Bet the turn. Fold if he raises.