PDA

View Full Version : Should I have taken a different line? 1/2 NL at the Borg

Triumph36
05-01-2005, 11:22 AM
1/2 NL at the Borg, I have about 250. Fairly tight table; I've been raising some marginal hands and taking down pots post-flop.

I get 33 UTG and limp. Two other limpers, then the CO raises to 10. Button calls, I call, UTG+2 calls, an MP caller calls. 4 to the flop.

3J9 rainbow flop, I lead out for 20, UTG+2 makes it 40, CO calls 40, I...?

Some history: CO (100 or so behind) seems okay, but he doesn't raise much pre-flop, I've seen him limp AK and JJ in relatively late position. UTG+2 (150 or so behind) folded TT on his big blind when it was folded around to me on the button and I raised. He's since built up his stack with a re-raise with AQo from the button, and calling a min-re-re-raise which put most of his chips in the middle, but he won when an A hit the flop.

Triumph36
05-01-2005, 01:52 PM
bump.

PokerFink
05-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Your 1/2 pot bet looks like a probing "I have a jack bet." I would probably put you on J10 or JQ. I think the raiser has either AJ or J9. The pot is 160 with your call, so you can easily put the others all-in at this point. Easy push. If they have 99 or JJ, so be it, but you're going to get paid off by AJ and J9 a lot.

Edited because I read the stack sizes wrong.

Triumph36
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
That's kinda what I ended up doing: I made it 90 more, UTG+2 folded, CO raised all-in (8 more), turn 6, river 9, MHIG, he didn't show. I think he had QQ, KK or AA. UTG+2 claims he folded AJ.

I thought this was an interesting hand because unfortunately for me the weak-tight player was in between the pre-flop raiser and post-flop aggressor. I knew that if I called the flop and checked the turn, he'd "lead out" for like 20 into a 160 pot, and CO would flat-call that. I'd be missing out on value there, plus I'd almost be giving odds to the CO to draw to his set, and if I check-raised there I'd let UTG+2 out. I just can't think of a line where I get both of them in the middle, unless I hadn't led the flop.

RED FACE
05-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Neither can I. UTG+2 min raise is him trying to find out where he's at and becuase you get two opponents I think you have to tell him.

vector
05-01-2005, 05:02 PM
Given how little money is left behind, a push looks fine here.

An alternate line, particularly with deeper stacks, call the flop raise then check raise any turn card.

UTG+2 will likely bet his J on the turn, CO will likely call or reraise if he has a big pair, and just might call with overcards. If UTG+2 was drawing with QT and tries to take a free card you still have CO to decide his hand is still good.

Not good when it gets checked through, but if you really want to milk that set for all its worth maybe not a bad line.