PDA

View Full Version : how bad could they be?

anduril
05-01-2005, 11:17 AM
For the past 3 months or so I've been playing a live 1-2 NL game at a local bar where my avg winrate per night is about $180. The competition is loose, passive, and awful. Occasionally I bring a friend of mine who is just learning to play NL and he tells me I'm an idiot when I'm on the button or in the SB, there are 4-5 limpers to me and the only reason I look at my cards is to make sure I'm not going to raise and say, "how bad could they be?" before tossing two chips in. Am I an idiot? Do I look like an idiot? My feeling is that I can outplay anyone there postflop so I only give up a very minimal amount preflop.

splashpot
05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
You may be able to outplay your opposition post-flop, but it still stands that you're not playing optimally. Even with 5 limpers, not every hand shows a profit in the long run. Of course this depends on how badly your opponents play because it directly affects your implied odds. But unless they are nothing short of giving their money to you intentionally, you should fold more than half of your hands. You may be winning a lot now, but you could be winning more.