PDA

View Full Version : Value Bet?

Spartan1983
05-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Utg +1 only 3rd hand at table. BB LP over about 40 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO folds.

River: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero??

95Aero
05-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I would probably check the river, river could be exactly what one of them has been waiting for completing flush draws and a couple of straight draws.

(At the same time I'd be very tempted to bet for value with the high set =)

chief444
05-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Bet/call.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-01-2005, 10:45 AM
for the love of all mothers, bet.

PokerBob
05-01-2005, 12:17 PM
The question here is not "Do I bet?", but rather "Do I call a raise?".

thejameser
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
no read on utg?

Chris Dow
05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, CO folds.

River: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. Do you see why? I'll let others elaborate.

cassady
05-01-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The question here is not "Do I bet?", but rather "Do I call a raise?".

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'll say out the outset I think not value betting when scare cards hit may be a consistent leak in my game. In two hours of play last night, in three or four instances I checked the river against one or two opponents, it was checked behind, and I took the pot down. If half of those people would have called, that's a big bet an hour leak. So I'm re-evaluating this a lot right now........

BUT: Looking at this board, given the lack of action on earlier streets, what hand out there would call a value bet but wouldn't raise you and beat you? Probably something like a J-10 that went inproved to two pair on the river. Maybe an AJ if it was a passive player. But a set would have fought on the turn and the river given the draws that are out there.

I think the odds of being called and winning are less than 50%. I think even faced with a raise I'd pay to see the cards when holding top set. So the times we're unsuccessful will cost us two bets. For me, this is a check-call situation.

Now, re-evaluating my value betting, I'm totally open to flaws in this analysis.

EDIT: just woke up......didn't notice the player was closing the action. This makes it closer to a bet. But I'm still not sure who would call without having us beat.

Chief911
05-01-2005, 01:48 PM
This seems like a pretty easy check behind. Two significant draws came in on the river. You'll hate to call a check raise wont you?

Nick

PokerBob
05-01-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BUT: Looking at this board, given the lack of action on earlier streets, what hand out there would call a value bet but wouldn't raise you and beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any pair. A retarded 2-pair. Sometimes Ace-high. IMO betting this river is +EV, and I don't think it is close.

Chris Dow
05-01-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BUT: Looking at this board, given the lack of action on earlier streets, what hand out there would call a value bet but wouldn't raise you and beat you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Any pair. A retarded 2-pair. Sometimes Ace-high. IMO betting this river is +EV, and I don't think it is close.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerBob nailed it, although *we* don't see what an opponent can call with here and lose, they are infinitely more creative than us. Value bet here, call raise, not close.

New001
05-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Remember you're playing poker online. You'll get called by almost any piece of this board and most pocket pairs by some people.

I just saw this hand as I was reading this:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 3s 7s (two pair, sevens and sixes).
Button has Td Tc (full house, tens full of sixes).
Outcome: Button wins 9.16 BB. </font>

Definitely bet this and call a raise.

clownshoes
05-01-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero??</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop acting like a huge [censored] bigshot. As if its completely beneath you to explain why this is a clear bet. Its ridiculously arrogant and completely useless to the forums. Not to mention it annoys the hell out of a lot of people.

But yes this is a very clear bet. These people will call down with any piece of the board.

cassady
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerBob nailed it, although *we* don't see what an opponent can call with here and lose, they are infinitely more creative than us. Value bet here, call raise, not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's change it aroud a bit. Say you were out of position, and were leading the betting instead of being checked to then called. Would you still lead out on the river?

brettbrettr
05-01-2005, 05:59 PM
yes.

Yobz
05-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Easy value bet, call a raise but not a 3-bet..

27offsooot
05-01-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black">
Holy crap. You're a prick. Do you see why? I don't have to let others elaborate. </font>

Spartan1983
05-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Hero did bet and took down the pot.

BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

purnell
05-01-2005, 09:13 PM
It's not close. Bet this river. Some of you guys are weenies.

imported_leader
05-01-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just once why don't you elaborate?