PDA

View Full Version : Stupid english grammar question..

splashpot
05-01-2005, 07:53 AM
English grammar question. What is the difference between the word "badly" and "poorly"? Are they interchangable?

I played badly in the basketball game or I played poorly in the basketball game?

Are there other examples that illustrate correct use of each word? This is one thing from English grammar that I was never clear about.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:00 AM
badly:
adv. worse, (wûrs) worst (wûrst)

1. In a bad manner.
2. Very much; greatly. See Usage Note at bad1.

poorly:
adv.

In a poor manner. See Usage Note at poor.

They are both adverbs. I think they can be interchanged.

private joker
05-01-2005, 08:48 AM
"Poorly" is a more specific evaluative adverb that can often be used to measure skill or acumen ("He performed poorly on the test;" "She dresses poorly") whereas "Badly" can be used in a more general context regarding any negative and/or strong modification: ("I feel badly for upsetting you;" "I want to see that movie badly" "She messed up that painting badly.")

purnell
05-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Both are OK, "badly" is more natural (at least int the US).

splashpot
05-01-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Poorly" is a more specific evaluative adverb that can often be used to measure skill or acumen ("He performed poorly on the test;" "She dresses poorly") whereas "Badly" can be used in a more general context regarding any negative and/or strong modification: ("I feel badly for upsetting you;" "I want to see that movie badly" "She messed up that painting badly.")

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe it would be "I feel bad for upsetting you". Yes, "badly" can be used to indicate emphasis on strong modification where "poorly" cannot be subsituted. "I need to pee badly". But I am more referring to cases where it's used as an adverb measuring skill or performance. I am looking at your sentence examples for "poorly", and it seems to me that "badly" could be correctly substituted into every one. Someone tell me if I'm right. Or why I'm wrong.

splashpot
05-01-2005, 12:01 PM
bump for the day crowd..

Cry Me A River
05-01-2005, 12:42 PM
In general, poorly is more formal while badly is more colloquial. If you're writing for the Times, use poorly if you're trash talking your buddies playing hoops use badly. Otherwise they're pretty much interchangeable.

istewart
05-01-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In general, poorly is more formal while badly is more colloquial. If you're writing for the Times, use poorly if you're trash talking your buddies playing hoops use badly. Otherwise they're pretty much interchangeable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is it.