PDA

View Full Version : match.com

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Hi, have any of you people used this sites or had friends who used it, thoughts? I just joined more comments to follow, this is all I have to say now, someone just sent me this email:

Hi,
I am nancy, I am not okay now, i am sad. A guy treated me bad, he invited me to Nigeria to model and then he beat me up and tried to rape me, but i ran away, i am presently in a hotel here and i need help, i am owing the hotel $400 for hotel bills and do not have any money to pay here, can you help me pay the bills to the hotel?If you can,you can email me: luvbabbie@yahoo.com or IM me on yahoo with the same ID, luvbabbie
thanks,
Nancy

Tron
05-01-2005, 06:23 AM
I think she's lying.

DBowling
05-01-2005, 06:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think she's lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

bruiser, we need a link to your profile

Non_Comformist
05-01-2005, 06:27 AM
Dude, I'd probably pass on this one. However I am impressed by your effort.

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 06:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think she's lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

not gonna happen

Pinga
05-01-2005, 06:51 AM
Sorry for ruining the thread there. The preview was fine??
I trimmed the urls to a minimum this time...

You must have spaced out this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=2069633), you responded to it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sublime (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Number=2155355) also posted a thread a couple of weeks later.

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 06:52 AM
there is still time go back and detele your post

Tron
05-01-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there is still time go back and detele your post

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, please do so immediately.

Tron
05-01-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think she's lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy (http://www.match.com/registration/registration.aspx?lid=0&RN=4&PI=2&TP=S&UID=OYSqXNh FAoyYu4hNqlrt0g%3d%3d&Handle=thebruiser500&DO=2)

Come on. You at least need to use a different user name if you don't want us to find it. And get a new picture.

ceyoung
05-01-2005, 07:09 AM
by signing up did you pay for the service? or did you just put a profile up?

Rotating Rabbit
05-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Dont take this the wrong way and I know you never intended 2+2 to see it, but dude you gotta revise your profile.

Find a better picture. The sentence "I'm not bitter because I'm single" is a disaster and you say it TWICE !!, as is "pretty much anything would be good".

You gotta make your profile PLAYFUL and FUNNY ok? Have a little openness sprinkled in but you're WAY WAY WAY too open. Telling girls your deep thinking on a first date is a disaster let alone on a profile! E.g. The bit about the superpower is brilliant, and so is the answer to the next question.

Scrap the 'unsatisfying job', negativity = lose.

sublime
05-01-2005, 07:49 AM
that picture is awful. dont you have one where you dont look like your on the run from the state hospital?

Non_Comformist
05-01-2005, 08:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think she's lying.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

not gonna happen

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it did, but I don't think it is a bad thing. [censored] any haters and heed any helpful advice you get about your profile. So many super smart people on this forum, it would be silly to not get their help.

sublime
05-01-2005, 08:05 AM
bruiser-

of course that respomse from nancy is a joke, you didnt need to ask.

you will find somebody, especially now that you are looking. good people always do /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pinga
05-01-2005, 08:06 AM
I like the parts that show your personality, like the STFU and the Jewish joke. nh.

[ QUOTE ]
get a new picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Put up a picture of you playing soccer as well.

Fix all spelling and punctuation. Use complete sentences.

Remove negativity:
"Any days of the week are good to meet you, don't go to college now and self employeed" -> "I am self-employed so we can get together any time that's convenient".

"Don't know about first sight but I can fall in love pretty easy." = RED FLAG. How about, "I believe in love".

"At this point pretty much anything would be good" = RED FLAG.

"What you want to do will be fine." -> "I am more interested in the company than the activity"?

"Done college on and off for last couple of years, spent most of my time being lazy and playing poker. Upshot is I'm a great poker player now make a ton of money, unsatisfying job though." -- nix lazy and "ton of money". Reword. I think it's ok to say the job is unsatisfying, but some explanation of why would help put a spin on it.

You may want to leave income blank. It's not an accident that you got an email from a money grubber already. If you have something in the job section about "my job pays well but its not socially satisfying", they got enough of a hint.

sublime
05-01-2005, 08:09 AM
also-

that profile you have of yourself is not good. try this route:

#1 keep it brief

#2 omit ANY negative terms. even the STFU match.com makes u sound immature. just tell them that you are an independent thinker, into the arts and really good food. no need to spazz off into any other direction.

Rotating Rabbit
05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You may want to leave income blank. It's not an accident that you got an email from a money grubber already.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case 'nancy' will just be filtering by income and block emailing.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IM me on yahoo with the same ID, luvbabbie

[/ QUOTE ]

Who goes to Nigeria to model, gets stuck in a hotel, then is gonna be on an IM client ever?

Who goes to Nigeria?

TimM
05-01-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The sentence "I'm not bitter because I'm single" is a disaster and you say it TWICE !!

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't write that line. Anything in the gray boxes was a multiple choice answer.

Mason's Mom
05-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Please let me know how this turns out for you. If it works, a I might get my Mason a subscription for his upcoming birthday.

JMP300z
05-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Please use a picture where both your eyes are open.

-JP

Homer
05-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I haven't looked at your profile, but don't change anything as others have recommended. You have to be yourself.

OtisTheMarsupial
05-01-2005, 11:41 AM
"Nancy" is probably a bot or something. Not a reeal person.

I agree with other posts about changing your profile - you MUST do this. It's way too negative, lazy and desperate. You don't have to omit info, just be a little more creative in how you say it.

In general, put the positive things first in the paragraph and if you must include negative things, put them in the last part of the paragraph. Add a twist to make them funny-sad, not pathetic.

Prove your intelligence by using spell check.
And stop using the word "retarded."
You're a liberal; you should know better. It's offensive. (You're smart, hot poker-playing new girlfriend on match.com has a little brother who is developmentally delayed)

And change the pic too. Best option - with a pet (doesn't have to be your own). Ladies love cute animals.

Good luck!
-Otis

daryn
05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
this is the best match.com profile i have ever seen.

daryn
05-01-2005, 01:05 PM
LJ. Coolio HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

The Dude
05-01-2005, 01:07 PM
How are you all seeing the profile? The link takes me to a log in page.

daryn
05-01-2005, 01:08 PM
i made a name real quick to log in.

JMP300z
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
do a search for thebruiser500.

-JP

daryn
05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
do a search for thebruiser500.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

i have seen the profile

tbach24
05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
wow, bruiser. u tool. this would be so much easier if you had included you live in amherst. just go to umass parties or go downtown amherst/northampton to the trendy coffee shops, practice your anti-war talk, and pick up trendy, anti-war girls from amherst/umass/smith etc.

astroglide
05-01-2005, 01:34 PM
luckyguy_one/theluckyguy seems to work (from bugmenot.com)

Macdaddy Warsaw
05-01-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LJ. Coolio HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

[/ QUOTE ]

LJ. Coolio is the funniest thing I have read all day/possibly all week.

mason55
05-01-2005, 02:16 PM
"good temepered"

sounds like you're looking for a cocker spaniel /images/graemlins/smile.gif

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
"The sentence "I'm not bitter because I'm single""

i didn't write that it was some thing mathc.com wrote

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
"bruiser-

of course that respomse from nancy is a joke, you didnt need to ask."

obviously, i wasn't asking

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 02:48 PM
wow what a debacle. my profile has 68 views already, nice job 2+2'ers!

glen
05-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Along the ll cool j lines, you should note in your profile that you are not the type of guy that gets suspicious, but that you are the type of guy who thinks that pudding is delicious. . .

SpicyF
05-01-2005, 03:26 PM
For those lazy enough not to log in I found this mirror site!

FUCUNT.COM (http://www.fucunt.com)

gvibes
05-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I can't believe you actually read Noam Chomsky. What a nut-job.

wacki
05-01-2005, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those lazy enough not to log in I found this mirror site!

FUCUNT.COM (http://www.fucunt.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice job on that one.

Sephus
05-01-2005, 04:16 PM
body type: other.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MasterShakes
05-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I see that you're willing to date both 3' tall and 8' tall women...

Matt Flynn
05-01-2005, 06:54 PM
i have not seen your profile. your profile sucks. change it now.

i have been to 2 match.com weddings, and my brother met a great lady there whom he should have married. he was her 17th match.com date. she was very efficient about it.

writing a profile is like writing a resume or learning how to interview. they are teachable / learnable skills.

what did you learn from the last post? you should have gotten the overwhelming consensus on self-confidence. sounds like you didn't manage that in your profile. of COURSE you do not know what you want in life. duh, you're 20. none of the 20-year-old girls know what they want either. but it's not something you say in a profile. you can be as cookie-cutter as:

"I am 20, single, ____, _____ and ____. [insert true positives: warm? funny? irreverent? thoughtful? whatever is you.] I am currently into ____ and ____. I am a professional poker player - the successful kind. It is an excellent "part-time" job that allows me to play soccer, read, travel and otherwise get a lot out of life. I want a girlfriend who is ____, _____ and _____ and can handle me being a pro poker player." Etc. It ain't hard. If you can be witty, all the better.

if you want a great profile let us rewrite it for you. we can tune it then send it to bison.

matt

theBruiser500
05-01-2005, 09:44 PM
k i just worked on my profile some, looks pretty good to me now, check it out. what does bison have to do with this?

Voltron87
05-01-2005, 09:47 PM
what's the link to bruiser's profile?

tbach24
05-01-2005, 09:49 PM
here (http://www.match.com/profile/showprofile.aspx?lid=1000005&amp;TP=U&amp;UID=OYSqXNhFAoyY u4hNqlrt0g%3d%3d&amp;Handle=theBruiser500)

spamuell
05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
k i just worked on my profile some, looks pretty good to me now, check it out. what does bison have to do with this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good move not disclosing your income anymore.

this guy
You need a better title than "Really awesome guy looking for really hot chick." Everything else looks good, hope it turns out well!

Jazza
WOW

i am very impressed by OOT in that they did not rip on bruiser here and gave him serious replies even if it's just cause he's a good NL player

Uston
05-01-2005, 10:02 PM
There are a lot of hot, young girls who are currently interested in poker. There are three that play in my weekly home game and I don't even know a ton of people. I think you should play up your poker achievements more. Haven't you been all over Europe playing tournaments? Mention it. Oh, and my girlfriend says to get contacts and smile and you'll do fine.

tbach24
05-01-2005, 10:07 PM
How did your girlfriend end up seeing OOT, let alone Bruiser's pic?

Uston
05-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Reading 2+2 over my shoulder.

1800GAMBLER
05-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Gem wished you good luck .... while i was rolling over dying on the floor laughing at LL Coolio.

gorie
05-01-2005, 11:21 PM
the "i have some killer abs" part is kinda over doing it, imho. even if you're half being funny it's hard to interpret over text. i think just saying you work out a lot/do kung fu to imply you are in good shape is enough.
i doubt it is that important to you that a girl knows ahead of time that you have nice abs, they can find that out later. so i will assume you are putting that in to try to get more points from girls reading it - don't. as a girl i read that stuff as something you want me to care about more than i do. if they don't like your picture or profile your abs aren't gonna matter anyway. if they do like your picture and profile its not gonna matter anyway.
just get girls to contact you, then you can decide who you are interested in from there.

i don't like the title either because i think it'll scare too many girls off thinking you are expecting more than what they think they are. not that there is anything wrong with voicing your expectations. again i have a feeling knowing your personality better ahead of times makes a different in reading into how you are even meaning it. but "really awesome guy looking for a really hot chick." sounds kinda dumb as a first impression.
maybe something more simple like "awesome guy looking for cool girl" is better ? i don't know.
i mean you can want that girl to be hot, but it's probably better not to use that as your attention getter, especially because your profile reads more about personality.

just my opinions, only trying to help. most important is to be yourself though so whatever you feel is best to represent you, go for it. good luck..! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

gorie
05-01-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gem wished you good luck .... while i was rolling over dying on the floor laughing at LL Coolio.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh yeah, that part ruled.

Matt Flynn
05-01-2005, 11:28 PM
please post the profile.

let bison be the final arbiter. he is our resident advice columnist after all.

bdk3clash
05-01-2005, 11:36 PM
bison's head will explode in a fireball of indignant rage if/when he reads the profile.

Matt Flynn
05-01-2005, 11:39 PM
better. needs a little more work. title change. call yourself lean instead of skinny. when you say "Dry/Sarcastic" she will think you are going to habitually make fun of her as a lot of young men do - so would mitigate or change that. plus you'll soften with sex. post a better pic, maybe one of you playing soccer but not an action shot. edit the bio or at least copy to Word and run it through a spellchecker. we're pulling for you.

Matt Flynn
05-01-2005, 11:42 PM
hence my recommendation.

your avatar is great.

Yes
05-01-2005, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, have any of you people used this sites or had friends who used it, thoughts? I just joined more comments to follow, this is all I have to say now, someone just sent me this email:

Hi,
I am nancy, I am not okay now, i am sad. A guy treated me bad, he invited me to Nigeria to model and then he beat me up and tried to rape me, but i ran away, i am presently in a hotel here and i need help, i am owing the hotel $400 for hotel bills and do not have any money to pay here, can you help me pay the bills to the hotel?If you can,you can email me: luvbabbie@yahoo.com or IM me on yahoo with the same ID, luvbabbie
thanks,
Nancy

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!

SpicyF
05-02-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WOW

i am very impressed by OOT in that they did not rip on bruiser here and gave him serious replies even if it's just cause he's a good NL player

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy can only be ripped so many times before you start to pity him.

razor
05-02-2005, 02:28 PM
progress report?