PDA

View Full Version : So, do I WANT people to make calls like this? (low content-kind of)

Karak567
05-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Now that I think about it, it's not necessarily low content. If I know what my opponents cards are, am I rooting for him to make a call like this? Note, this guy INSTA called. It was like the dealer had this guys chips into the pot a split second after mine. The guy didn't even think about it.

Also, are my PF raise-call and PF limp ok?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB (t980)
BB (t800)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t2250)
MP1 (t655)
MP2 (t690)
MP3 (t730)
CO (t350)
Button (t745)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
Hero calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, MP1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t55</font>, Hero calls t40, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, SB folds.

Flop: (t232.50) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t100</font>, UTG+1 calls t745, MP1 folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t1077.50) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1077.50) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1077.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qd Ac (one pair, queens).
UTG+1 has Th Js (straight, queen high).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins t1077.50. </font>

Apathy
05-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Converter is screwed up but i figured out the action and as i suspected... yet another bad beat post... [censored]...

Fine you want my advice, if you post [censored] like this the fold PF seriously...

Karak567
05-01-2005, 03:33 AM
I gave a low content warning AND I had two legitimate questions in there about my PF play. How is this a bad beat post?

Nottom
05-01-2005, 03:39 AM
Do like getting all your chips is as a 2-1 favorite? If so then I guess you want him to call.

DasLeben
05-01-2005, 04:26 AM
Where's the "attempting to give a damn" .gif when you need it?

The Yugoslavian
05-01-2005, 05:22 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/BSwing23/give_a_damn_progress.gif

Yugoslav
Who was slackin' earlier and missed this thread...

Karak567
05-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I don't understand what is so terrible to ask about my preflop actions with the AQ?

No one has ever asked if their actions PF with AQ are ok?

What the heck is going on?

I've been making posts here for a WHILE and I've never gotten such a negative response like this.

Why? What did I do wrong this time?

Phill S
05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
you tried to thinly disguise a bad beat. your at the stage where all bad beats can be avoided.

your going to learn thats not true young padowan. give it time.

i saw nothing wrong in your play. others might disagree. they would have responded better if you cut the hand off once you got all in on the flop. the results are meaningless. you moved the chips correctly, thats all that matter. results will follow suit long term.

john_
05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
The problem comes because you are asking the wrong question. "So, do I WANT people to make calls like this?" If you are unable to ascertain whether or not you were a big favorite to win this hand then you are beyond any help anyone here could give you.

The reason people hate bad beat posts is because they are unavoidable. A necessary evil that keeps the poker world going and the newbies believing they are not bad players. If you become results oriented and you give into the bad beats emotionally then you will have fear. Fear of losing to a bad beat...this leads to all sorts of bad things: suboptimal passive play to attempt to avoid bad beats, obsessive paranoia the poker site has something against you and has turned on the "button", picking up superstitious beliefs in why you win or lose, tilting or quitting completely. The farther you go down this dark path the harder it will be to recover from it. Once the shadow of negative EV begins to creep in you may become a slave to it for forever.

Now, to address the issue of playing AQ preflop. Some would argue this is correct some would not. Personally, I don't play AQ from UTG at the first three levels unless there's a limited number of people. In normal circumstances I believe AQ does not yield high enough of a postive expectation for me to play this hand early from this position. There is not always a "right" way in poker. This hand definitely fits that realm.

The real Q&amp;A:
How do I avoid bad beats?
It is unavoidable...it is your destiny...
The sooner you accept this the sooner you will be a better player.

Voltron87
05-01-2005, 11:17 AM
if you wanted to get some actual input on preflop play you should have not listed the results.

adanthar
05-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Quite honestly, I'd have limped and then folded to the BB's raise, but this *is* a bad beat post because you'd still be posting it if he'd have checked or, for that matter, if you were the BB.

hummusx
05-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, I'm going to disagree with some of the posters here that I respect a lot. If you had posted this without the results, everyone would have responded and said, "let me guess, he rivered to beat you. BAD BEAT don't post these." Anyway, it sounds like you wanted advice, so here it is:

1) Fold this hand pre-flop. Don't open limp AQ UTG with this many people. In this case all the cards came the way you wanted, but it's going to get you in trouble. You can limp it in mid-late, but UTG just get out of the hand.

2) Calling the raise could be argued I think. There are lots of people along so that's a plus, but any one of them yet to act could reraise. I've been noticing lately that it seems like there's always someone in a group of 5+ limpers who's going to decide to reraise all-in when this happens, even if they've got crap. And half the time they do take it down.

3) You should bet more on the flop. There's a flush AND a straight draw on the board. The first person may be not quite getting odds (3.3:1) on their call, but if one does call now the second person is getting 4.3:1. Even for the first person, with the pot getting large there's a good chance they can win all your chips if they hit. With this many callers, you would probably prefer to just win the pot now, so bet more like 2/3 of the pot.

Now your last question. This is one of the most interesting things to me. When you place your bet, you are trying to bet everyone out. The pot has 1/4 as many chips are your entire stack, so it's worth winning. But, once you've made the bet, you are hoping for someone to make an incorrect call. If you bet 100 as you did, they are not making a big mistake, especially if they have more than one draw. But if you bet closer to the size of the pot, it's almost impossible that they are getting correct odds to call, which mean you are of course hoping that they do. Occassionally they are going to hit their draw, but it's still a profitable play.

Nottom
05-01-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm going to disagree with everyone here about the preflop play. I think limping with AQ is fine. I don't know what level this is, but its an 800 chip toureny so its probably not a tough field. You will get payed off by Ax way more than you lose to AK.

I also think the call of the raise is fine. The fact that you will have position on him the rest of the hand makes it easier IMO.

As for the flop play, I don't know about the all-in raise. Its a pretty substantial overbet and I don't want to see the BB call, but at the same time I don't think its terrible and is probably +EV althought maybe not as much as maybe a bet of 300.

valenzuela
05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
they dont suck out , u dont post here( bad beat post)

hummusx
05-01-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
they dont suck out , u dont post here( bad beat post)

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance you can stop making these posts? They really are not very useful.

valenzuela
05-01-2005, 01:38 PM
ok, ill stop( really)

Karak567
05-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Well thanks for the great advice guys, those are some well thought out posts and definitely gave me something to think about. Limping UTG with AQ certainly is something that has gotten me in trouble before. Calling the raise was really sketchy, as I did the SAME thing today and ran into AK. I don't know.

Also I apologize for making what appeared as a "bad beat post." I should have cut it off after the flop and not shown results and I am sorry. I suppose I was bitter. I surely will not make this mistake in the future.