PDA

View Full Version : Movie trilogies that were resurrected by the third film

pshreck
05-01-2005, 02:45 AM
I'm watching Die Hard 3, and it reminded me how this is a succesful trilogy, yet the second movie was awful. The third was a very good action flick.

Can you think of other flicks that went from good movie + crappy sequel to succesful trilogy?

istewart
DIE HARD THREE RULES.

GuyOnTilt
Land Before Time.

GoT

Eurotrash
05-01-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DIE HARD THREE RULES.

[/ QUOTE ]

we agree

pshreck
[ QUOTE ]
DIE HARD THREE RULES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. We are lucky it ever got made considering what a POS the second one was.

fluxrad
If lucas makes episodes 7,8, and 9 and the friggin' ROCK does that count?

Eurotrash
05-01-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DIE HARD THREE RULES.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. We are lucky it ever got made considering what a POS the second one was.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't wait for Die Hard 4: Die Hardest!

I hope the Gruber family has a long lost triplet /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
05-01-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Land Before Time.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Clutch movie. Haven't seen it in years.

pshreck
05-01-2005, 02:58 AM
Probably most of us aren't old enough to remember the Indiana Jones films before it was already a trilogy, but I have heard that the second one wasnt considered very good by a lot of people. The third one was fantastic (in my opinion better than the first) and it certainly cemented the films as one of the best trilogies ever, when the second one was pretty average.

tolbiny
05-01-2005, 02:59 AM
die hard three was a piece of crap.

Back to the futre three saved that series.

masse75
05-01-2005, 03:01 AM
Don't know about resurrecting, but Godfather III just about killed what are 2 of the greatest back to back movies ever.

pshreck
05-01-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
die hard three was a piece of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats your opinion, but it was certainly better than the second in the series.

[ QUOTE ]
Back to the futre three saved that series.

[/ QUOTE ]

... now Im just getting the idea that you might be drunk. Back to the Future 2 was a classic.

tolbiny
05-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Die hard was entertaining, II was essentially the same movie but worse in a few ways, and three was a piece of garbage. I am supposed to get excited about some guy driving a dump truck trough a tunnel at 60 mph? I couldn't think of anything good about the movie, not the action scenes, not the writing, not the acting.

I don't think i have ever watched back to the future 2 all the way through in one sitting. When biff tries to run marty down in the tunnel is possibly one of the most annoying scenes in any movie.

Jack of Arcades
05-01-2005, 03:17 AM
I really like Godfather III. Despite Sophia Coppola of course.

Ianco15
05-01-2005, 03:46 AM
I was going to say the same thing about Indiana Jones. I think that Raiders of the Lost Arc (the first one) is the best in the series IMO, but The Last Crusade (the third one) is also excellent. The Temple of Doom (the second one... dur) is only marginal.

The Last Crusade was the funniest of the three, too. "No ticket."

EliteNinja
05-01-2005, 04:02 AM
Am I the only guy who likes Die Hard 2?

Last Crusade was da bombz0rz.

Klepton
05-01-2005, 05:56 AM
"the guy and his wives aren't going anywhere"
"what are they doing?"
"SITTING IN THE FCUKING ROAD WAITING - - WHAT THE FCUK DOES IT MATTER"

classic

Dynasty
05-01-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was very good. IMDB voters would seem to agree.

Die Hard: 7.9/10
Die Hard 2: 6.7/10
Die Hard: With a Vengeance: 7.0/10

soah
05-01-2005, 06:39 AM
I thought Die Hard 2 was okay.

Indiana Jones is clearly the correct answer to this question. Temple of Doom was just terrible.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Matrix Revolutions

ROFL.

Seriously though, The Return of the King was awesome. Way better than the first two. I guess it didnt resurrect the series though.

private joker
05-01-2005, 08:50 AM
After the disappointment that was AMERICAN PIE 2, I think AMERICAN WEDDING was hilarious and richer, and actually the best one of the three. I know I'm the only one in the world to think so, but that's the way it is. I explain my reasoning here. (http://exitmusic.mindspring.com.namezero.com/id107.html)

Rotating Rabbit
05-01-2005, 09:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Matrix Revolutions

ROFL.

Seriously though, The Return of the King was awesome. Way better than the first two. I guess it didnt resurrect the series though.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you manage to stay awake during the 45 minute goodbye scenes? I couldnt wait to get out of the cinema.

ghostface
05-01-2005, 10:53 AM
They were so not memorable that I completely forgot them till you said something.

Jules22
05-01-2005, 02:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i thought it was fine too, altho not as good as die hard 1 or 3

trying2learn
05-01-2005, 02:44 PM
could you argue that the red dragon qualifies? i personally liked all three movies, and the third was also a prequel...but it seemed to resurrect that trilogy for many who hated hannibal.

Duke
05-01-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
could you argue that the red dragon qualifies? i personally liked all three movies, and the third was also a prequel...but it seemed to resurrect that trilogy for many who hated hannibal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red Dragon <<<< Manhunter

I liked Hannibal more than Red Dragon, but it's because I had already seen the same movie done 50x better.

~D

gumpzilla
05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Did you ever read the books?

The goodbye scenes are essential to the feeling of the final book of the Lord of the Rings. So much of the storyline is about the passing of the age and the ascendancy of Men; the departure of the Elves and Ringbearers is the culmination of this. When I'd heard that they weren't filming The Scouring of the Shire, I was worried that this meant they weren't going to bother with Frodo and company sailing to the Havens, as it's one of my favorite parts of that book. And I thought they did a pretty solid job with these scenes in the movie.

touchfaith
05-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Halloween III

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

young nut
05-01-2005, 03:42 PM
How about Alien Trilogy. I thought the second one was horrid. But 3 owned

pshreck
05-01-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP

NOW

NEVER POST AGAIN

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-01-2005, 05:24 PM
They'd have to redo 6 to make 7, 8, & 9.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-01-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP

NOW

NEVER POST AGAIN

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. The second one (Aliens) the best of the 4 films by far.

Richie Rich
05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
The second film - Aliens - was one of few sequels in cinematic history that was just as good, if not better, than the original.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm still waiting on 'Shanghai Rush Hour' starring Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker. Two trilogies saved with one buddy-buddy-buddy action comedy.

swede123
05-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I like Aliens just as much as the next guy, but I strongly disagree that it was better than Alien. If anything it is such a different movie that you can't compare the two.

The first movie had such an awesome feel to it and it was one of the stronger influences on sci-fi movies ever since.

Aliens is a solid action movie, full of all the cool stuff you expect from an action flick, but there's nothing truly ground breaking about it.

Swede

astroglide
05-01-2005, 10:32 PM
i thought manhunter was laughably bad.

[sitting in a tree]

AND THEN...YOU WALKED IN THERE! DIDN'T YOU! DIDN'T YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH! AND YOU KILLED THEM! YOU CLOSED THE DOOR AND YOU KILLED THEM!

DeezNuts
05-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Austin Powers.

The second was terrible but the third had its moments.

DN

Jurollo
05-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Die Hard 5: Die Harderer

AEKDBet
05-02-2005, 05:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no, i thought it was fine too, altho not as good as die hard 1 or 3

[/ QUOTE ]

Die hard 2 sucks.
Alien 3 <<<<<< Alien 1 and 2.
IMDB ratings are unreliable - vcdquality.com is usually spot on. Usually.

PokerFink
05-02-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably most of us aren't old enough to remember the Indiana Jones films before it was already a trilogy, but I have heard that the second one wasnt considered very good by a lot of people. The third one was fantastic (in my opinion better than the first) and it certainly cemented the films as one of the best trilogies ever, when the second one was pretty average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the third is better than the first, but both are good. The climatic action scene of the third, when Indiana goes to get the grail (and the subsequent scene in the chamber with Lancelot) are the best scenes of the entire trilogy. "He chose poorly." Better than the opening scene of the first.

The second one was bad, and extremely annoying due to the little kid.

jakethebake
05-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Die Hard > Die Hard2 > Die Hard3

Raiders > Temple > Last Crusade

Both of these consecutively worse after a great first movie.

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 03:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

STOP

NOW

NEVER POST AGAIN

[/ QUOTE ]

Game over man. Game over!

PokerFink
05-02-2005, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Raiders > Temple > Last Crusade

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not 1 is better than 3 can be debated, personally I like 3 better but it is easy to make a strong argument for 1. But 2 is easily the worst of the 3, and I can't think of a better trilogy to define this topic.

IMDB Ratings
Raiders: 8.6 #21 All Time
Crusade: 7.9 #162 All Time
Temple: 7.2 Not Ranked

Aparently they are coming out with a fourth. (http://imdb.com/title/tt0367882/)

Phoenix1010
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Land Before Time.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

There are at least ten Land Before Time movies now. It doesn't really count as a trilogy. Really sad, since the first one was great, and you're right about the third one (temporarily) saving the series. My little siblings tell me that the sequels keep getting worse with each new installment, but somehow they are as helpless to stop watching them as the producers are to stop making them.

meep_42
05-02-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still waiting on 'Shanghai Rush Hour' starring Jackie Chan, Owen Wilson and Chris Tucker. Two trilogies saved with one buddy-buddy-buddy action comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would pre-order this on DVD before filming began.

-d

Vaughn
05-02-2005, 04:09 PM
Lion King / Lion King II, Simba's Pride / Lion King 1.5, Timone and Pumbaa.

and the Matrix Trilogies. #2 blew.

DUI

Zoelef
05-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Rocky III had Mr. T, so I think that oughta count.

PokerFink
05-02-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and the Matrix Trilogies. #2 blew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but #3 was even worse, so it doesn't really qualify.

Francis Dollarhyde
05-02-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i thought manhunter was laughably bad.

[sitting in a tree]

AND THEN...YOU WALKED IN THERE! DIDN'T YOU! DIDN'T YOU, YOU SON OF A BITCH! AND YOU KILLED THEM! YOU CLOSED THE DOOR AND YOU KILLED THEM!

[/ QUOTE ]

Manhunter was the greatest movie of all time!!!

At least it was up to the point Will jumped through the kitchen window and shot me.