PDA

View Full Version : When slow-playing goes bad

Kyriefurro
05-01-2005, 01:02 AM
It's been a rough night on the poker table and this hand gave me a laugh. Thought I'd share.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font> <font color="blue"> hmmm....anyone got a king? Let's find out! </font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font><font color="blue"> Oh look! A boat! /images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue"> I realized he had KK when he capped this, but then......... </font>

River: (13.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.25 BB

Results: Hero has 7d 7c (four of a kind, sevens).
CO has Kh Ks (full house, kings full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 21.25 BB.

The really sad thing is, if he'd raised the flop, I'd have dropped this hand like a hot potato lol.

Barry
05-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Nice suckout /images/graemlins/smile.gif. The worst thing about this hand is that you have the nuts and can't even put in the last bet.

Nick C
05-01-2005, 01:14 AM
If I had been CO, I would have been annoyed at where the flop bet came from and might've just called myself. And, in any event, I'd prefer for someone with 77 to stay in.

Anyway, though, I think you played the hand well.

Incidentally, if you were sure CO had KK after the turn cap, you should have folded. But while I think you should be worried about that hand, I don't think you should limit CO's range to just kings full.

Nice hand.

Kyriefurro
05-01-2005, 01:14 AM
I will honestly admit that I was on semi-tilt when this hand took place. It didn't even occure to me that villain might have KK until after he'd capped the run and AFTER I'd called the cap.

For some reason this hand got rid of the tiltage /images/graemlins/wink.gif

imported_leader
05-01-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason this hand got rid of the tiltage /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just passed it on to the other guy. Just remember that no matter how bad a beat you take, you can always say that you have given a worse one to someone else. nh

mongoose51
05-01-2005, 11:52 AM
[/ QUOTE ] The really sad thing is, if he'd raised the flop, I'd have dropped this hand like a hot potato lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the KK played the hand perfectly, and that this is a perfect slowplaying hand. Let them try to make their draws to flushs, boats etc. If someone beats you with runner runner 77 hitting a 1 in 1058 shot, then so be it.

Even a guy w/ a 6 for trips is a 1 in 23 dog to make quads.

timprov
05-01-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the KK played the hand perfectly

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with slowplaying an overfull, but what's he capping the river on? FTQ's enough to call the three-bet, but not enough to cap, for me anyway. It's pretty clear hero has quads at this point, whether it's 77 or 66.

Nick C
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with slowplaying an overfull, but what's he capping the river on? FTQ's enough to call the three-bet, but not enough to cap, for me anyway. It's pretty clear hero has quads at this point, whether it's 77 or 66.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most Party 2/4 players are going to have sixes full more often than quads in this spot, after playing the hand like Hero.

Chris Dow
05-01-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, if you were sure CO had KK after the turn cap, you should have folded. But while I think you should be worried about that hand, I don't think you should limit CO's range to just kings full.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first sentence, while technically true, is sad. The second sentence is a massive understatement.

Nate tha' Great
05-01-2005, 12:45 PM
I like how every time somebody posts something with a title like "why you should never slowplay", it almost always provides an example of where a slowplay gets more action out of worse hands.

Fnord
05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like how every time somebody posts something with a title like "why you should never slowplay", it almost always provides an example of where a slowplay gets more action out of worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does Nate think of slow play? Inquiring minds want to know...

Kyriefurro
05-01-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm actually kind of surprised at the number of responses this post has gotten. This was not inteded as a "look how well I played my hand" post, nor a "why slow-playing is bad" post (although in the light of day, I can certainly see why people may interpret it that way). I was just posting a hand that I found amusing after a particularly rough evening.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat ambivelent towards the concept of slow playing. At the 2/4 level you see a LOT of misapplication of the theory. In this particular case however, villain flopped an absolute monster hand, so slow-playing was probably the right play, even though it backfired.

Nate tha' Great
05-01-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does Nate think of slow play? Inquiring minds want to know...

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely slowplay.