PDA

View Full Version : 99 against a steal

New001
04-30-2005, 09:57 PM
CO here is a TAG over 40 hands, he hasn't done anything weird of note yet. I wasn't happy when he capped, but his flop check was really weird.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Did I play this too aggressively? And if this fine, do I fold or call down a turn check/raise if he tries one? I really want to show this one down if he won't fold, I think.

KDawgCometh
04-30-2005, 10:15 PM
I don't mind it at all. looks like he had overplayed AK or AQ and was just trying to follow up his PF aggression with more aggressionon the flop. I like your threebet on teh flop as his cappig range doesn't neccessarily have to include a J in it. Most TAG will be very aggressive on blind steals where they have a hand. He also might've thought that you could be pushed around. I like it overall, nh

mr pink
04-30-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't happy when he capped

[/ QUOTE ]

given that he's a TAG, he realizes the implications in a steal situation which means he will lower his raising and capping standards significantly for deception purposes. his cap really doesn't mean that much here and shouldn't be cause for too much concern.

for the rest of the hand, i think you played it fine.

Fnord
04-30-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
CO here is a TAG over 40 hands, he hasn't done anything weird of note yet. I wasn't happy when he capped, but his flop check was really weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the times I've seen pre-flop + flop action like this it's been AA/KK/QQ playing rope-a-dope. Many players do strange things with big hands. Hence, I go into call down mode. I admire your courage to 3-bet the flop c/r.

Anyone else have the same observation or have I just been running into monsters?

New001
04-30-2005, 11:30 PM
Often it is, but that kind of play seems to be more common in HU pots where it wasn't a blindsteal.

mr pink
05-01-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most of the times I've seen pre-flop + flop action like this it's been AA/KK/QQ playing rope-a-dope. Many players do strange things with big hands. Hence, I go into call down mode. I admire your courage to 3-bet the flop c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually run into AA/KK with the turn check/raise /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoblinMason (Craig)
05-01-2005, 12:14 AM
I like it. The preflop cap I'm not too scared as the tag might do that with lots of hands to take control. When he c/r's the flop it seems like he's trying to get you to fold, hence I like the 3bet.

If he capped, what was your plan? Call down barring and A or K?

Also I could see calling the flop c/r and raising any non A/K turn followed by a free showdown.

-Craig