PDA

View Full Version : Are the $10/1 SNG's becoming more competitive ?

tminus
04-30-2005, 09:11 PM
i noticed that the last couple weeks the competition is getting a bit harder at these tables...there are now 8 people still standing @ level 6

Maulik
04-30-2005, 09:14 PM
insigificant sample size?

pull up 25-50 tables t lvl 6 now, see what you find. it wasn't 8 or anywhere near.

brilliant

Blarg
04-30-2005, 09:17 PM
I agree.

tminus
04-30-2005, 10:03 PM
i woudnt have posted it if two other people hadnt asked me the same question this week....

Sponger15SB
04-30-2005, 10:09 PM
I've been 12 tabling the $11's out of boredom from NL ring for the last few days, I don't know how many I've played cause its just too many to auto import and I don't really care what my ROI and whatever is, but I'm up around $625

The games are still terribly easy from when I played SNGs a few months ago.

Also tight DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD.

Nottom
04-30-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also tight DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, but unlike ring games tightliness is next to godliness during the first few levels. If the other players suddenly decide they don't want to all have a race to see who busts out first that put a significant dent in a good players ROI.

DasLeben
04-30-2005, 10:58 PM
I've definitely been noticing this. I played one the other night that was 8-handed with blinds 150/300. That was just ridiculous. What I've started doing is opening with less from earlier, and really pushing like a madman when it gets to 50/100. Other than that, just hope you pick up some decent cards.

octaveshift
04-30-2005, 11:02 PM
I have noticed an increased number of players making it L5+ in the $10+1s.

I have also noticed more and more people push/folding when blinds are T200+.

I know it's a small sample size, but you are like the 20th person to be asking the same thing. Either we are all seeing a pattern that isn't really there, or things are indeed getting a little harder.

I figure that a copy of The AM Guide to Beating the 10+1s is probably in every frat house in the country. If you assume that most college students have small bankrolls, then it figures they would be schooling at the 10s.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blarg
04-30-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm wondering also if there are a lot of limit players moving in. A lot more of the play I see lately seems to resemble limit ring play -- tight, and defending the blinds with nothing, so that people don't get used to stealing your blinds. Twice in four games just now, my all-ins got called from the blinds by 75 offsuit, by guys who the blind money wasn't important to. I hadn't been pushing up to that point, either, so it wasn't like they were out to get revenge for too much blind stealing or anything; they just seemed to be playing exactly like some limit ring players play, figuring it's okay to lose once in a while to keep a strong image as someone who defends blinds.

That doesn't work too well in SNGs, though, because once you lose your whole stack or half of it by defending with absolute garbage, your chance of being around long-term enough for your table image to matter vary from non-existent to slight.

I'm seeing much more of this kind of thing lately, and like others, have noticed some other things lately too with great frequency, like 7 or more in stage 6 and up.

DasLeben
04-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Hmmm. All this talk is making me wonder if I should infuse my bankroll when I'm able and just move to the $22s. Of course, I'm not sure if those are any better.

Blarg
04-30-2005, 11:18 PM
I've wondered that too, but I still need to prove my worth at the 10's for a while, even if it is getting harder. If they're getting harder and I manage to beat them anyway, I'll be all that much more prepared to move up when and if I eventually do.

Nottom
05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've wondered that too, but I still need to prove my worth at the 10's for a while, even if it is getting harder. If they're getting harder and I manage to beat them anyway, I'll be all that much more prepared to move up when and if I eventually do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've noticed similar trends in the 20s and 30s too (whether real or imaginary) so moving up isn't going to help anything

Blarg
05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Yeah moving up has never struck me as a wise way to adapt to pressure.

ilya
05-01-2005, 01:58 AM
It may be happening. However, for what's it worth, there's a post like yours once every month or so on this forum.

johnny005
05-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Here is my take on this whole thing, I figure I haev a good enough sample size to give my take on the diference between the levels... In the last 3 months I have played 10's(200sng's), 20's(1000sng's), 30's(100sng's) and now im playing the 50s(only 50) But what I'm seeing is that Things definetly dont get easier as you move up, If your complaining about the 10's being tight which I never really thought they were, Then the 20's are just gonna get tighter ....30's are the worst in my opinion cause alot of 2+2ers are sitting around that level.. I've been playing the 50's and been having good luck with them so far... I even find that you get alot of players racing to bust out even at that level... I would skip the 20's, 30's and move right to the 50's /images/graemlins/smile.gif come play at my table

Blarg
05-01-2005, 03:04 AM
LOL I just got called by 5-4 offsuit on an all-in. Protecting his big blind I guess -- which was all of 50 heheheh. Needless to say, he wound up getting a straight. The next round blinded me out, when the same guy raises AT offsuit UTG into a field of eight players, and I put in my last 50 chips.

Oh well, at least I got another guy on my buddy list. Too bad I almost never see any of these guys again, though.

Phill S
05-01-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It may be happening. However, for what's it worth, there's a post like yours once every month or so on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

whilst i dont think you meant this to be litterally taken this way, maybe the reason the posts are made is because it -is- getting harder.

bear with me.

STTs are a new concept. NL ring has always been NL ring, limit has always been limit, but tourneys which were specically single table only is a concept thats, what, 4/5 years old.

Im sure we're all aware that there is no book on STTs, until aleo's comes out that is (whats the progress on that anyone?). STT learning is an ongoing process. Whilst poker theory has always evolved, its evolved more, and probably much faster than other poker styles as it has more to evolve from.

So, in real terms, it wouldnt surprise me if the games were getting harder. in fact id be more surprised if it wasnt. whilst there are new players comng through, the % increase in comparision to long term players is getting lower. and with more theory around, such as this board, learning how to play the game correctly isnt as hard as it was before.

so to sum up, i have a theory to back up circumstantial evidence. there is no evidence however.

Maulik
05-01-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

pull up 25-50 tables t lvl 6 now, see what you find. it wasn't 8 or anywhere near.

brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

reiterated for your help.

brilliant

DasLeben
05-01-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

brilliant

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that I look at it, I agree. The 8-handed 150/300 episode was one tourney out of 150, so that's obviously a fluke. The average number I see for level 4 at the 10+1s right now is 4-6, which is perfectly managable (and probably optimum).

valenzuela
05-01-2005, 01:52 PM
Instead of being concerned whether this are getting tougher or not just try to play ur A-game, if theyre tight chances are u can run over them in the higher levels. A typical tight 11er has the following moves later on: all-in,min-raise, call. This is clearly a leak , if u can get their betting pattern is as good as it gets. Also dont be scared to push 84o if the situation is right.

Scuba Chuck
05-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Eastbay told me that this question comes up about once every two months. I didn't believe him when I first read it. I believe him now.

Scuba /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

johnny005
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
yeah I have posted it once I think... Now i see it all the time

tminus
05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
good point...i never said that they were simply playing tighter though
im just seeing better play overall

im starting to learn how valuable it is to be able to adapt to different player types instead of following a script

nova
05-02-2005, 06:03 PM
I've noticed a few more players around depending on the type of game. There are some games that start off very tight, and one person decides to bluff at a pot or a crazy steal and then it turns into a raise / reraise / reraise until they are all in. From that point on, I notice quite a bit more action. Games like these I've seen 4 people out before level 2 (!)

While the above situation has happened a few times (not a ton, but enough for me to notice) I have noticed that there do seem to be more people around late game, level 5 or 6. While I've seen that, I haven't seen as much of a super defense of blinds with any 2, at least up to level 5 / 6. Maybe time of day has something to do with it, what time does school let out now? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

the shadow
05-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Party 20+2's - Tougher recently? (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=740368& Forum=,,f22,,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=2&Limit=25& Main=740368&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post740368)

215 no limit sat are becoming tougher as time goes by (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1037769 &Forum=,f22,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&M ain=1037756&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1037769)

games at Party... tougher recently? (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1072505 &Forum=,f22,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&M ain=1072505&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1072505)

Are the Party sit and goes getting harder?(I play 100+9) (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1427851 &Forum=f22&Words=harder&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =1427851&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&n ewerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post1427851)

have party $20 sng's gotten a LOT harder since saabpo? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=189 5091&Forum=f22&Words=harder&Searchpage=0&Limit=25& Main=1895091&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange =1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post1895091)

The Shadow

The Yugoslavian
05-02-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Party 20+2's - Tougher recently? (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=740368& Forum=,,f22,,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=2&Limit=25& Main=740368&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post740368)

215 no limit sat are becoming tougher as time goes by (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1037769 &Forum=,f22,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&M ain=1037756&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1037769)

games at Party... tougher recently? (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1072505 &Forum=,f22,&Words=tougher&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&M ain=1072505&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange= 1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyp rev=#Post1072505)

Are the Party sit and goes getting harder?(I play 100+9) (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=1427851 &Forum=f22&Words=harder&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main =1427851&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange=1&n ewerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev =#Post1427851)

have party $20 sng's gotten a LOT harder since saabpo? (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=189 5091&Forum=f22&Words=harder&Searchpage=0&Limit=25& Main=1895091&Search=true&where=sub&Name=&daterange =1&newerval=&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=&body prev=#Post1895091)

The Shadow

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice use of linkage. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Other similar themes that make baby jesus cry (except for when inspiring the occasionally hilarious hijack) could include:

Biggest comeback ever...
Worst fold ever...
Fun/interesting/retarded JJ hand...
KK/AA, did I play it right?...
Question about my stats...
Who are the best players?...
Should I report this collusion?...
What does [insert term here] mean?...

And my personal fav:
Question about the fundamentals of backing...

Yugoslav