PDA

View Full Version : Which tourney requires more skill?

Tyler Durden
04-30-2005, 08:03 PM
PLHE or NLHE? A 2+2er and I disagreed.

Which is it and why?

thanks much.

Apathy
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I personally find NLHE a lot easier, but that's probably because I've played so much of it compared to PLHE.

slickpoppa
04-30-2005, 08:08 PM
For tournaments, pot limit requires more skill. The rising blind structure of tournament NLHE makes it too susceptible to an all-in or fold strategy like the system. However, in a deep stack cash game, NL requires more skill.

Tyler Durden
04-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I agree that it's PLHE.

ClaytonN
04-30-2005, 08:42 PM
PLHE. Not close.

It forces players to play flops.

CardSharpCook
04-30-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For tournaments, pot limit requires more skill. The rising blind structure of tournament NLHE makes it too susceptible to an all-in or fold strategy like the system. However, in a deep stack cash game, NL requires more skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. Basically structure that requires AF play creates good tourneys.

CSC

04-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Pot limmit b/c of the reasons mentioned in this thread, and because it makes me look much cooler if that's true /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Gavin

Piers
04-30-2005, 10:10 PM
PLH

All in strategies depreciatethe skill.

mts
04-30-2005, 10:31 PM
nlhe

#1) i'm drunk
#2) i've done a lot better at PLHE tournies... a LOT better
#3) opinions subject to change

A_PLUS
04-30-2005, 11:08 PM
I have found that the PL events I have played tend to move much faster than the NL events, players tend to either bet the pot, or fold. They view anything less as a sign of weakness. But with good players, I think PL requires more skill.

sxz18
04-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Doesn't matter whether it's online or live, PLHE is definetely harder and requires more skill. If you think about NLHE tournaments, there are many different strategies. Some play TAG, some play LAG, some play postflop, some play preflop. Many of the TAG players always like to wait until they have a hand to play or steal the blinds when they are high relative to their stack. For example, if you have AK and have 10k in chips and blinds are 1k/2k, it's pretty much autopush from any position.

The reason I believe PLHE requires more skill is because it is more post flop based. You have to be able to play hands on the flop, turn, and river. You also have to be able to build up a pot without losing it or creating enough odds for your opponents to draw out on you. If you're raising with AK, you have to be able to play the flop if you've missed rather than just going all-in and see all five cards for the same price. More bluffing and more pot manipulation is required in PLHE.

ZootMurph
05-01-2005, 12:15 AM
In both PL and NL, you have to play a lot of flops throughout a tournament, so I don't see a large difference in post flop skills between the two. In NL, you or an opponent can push all your chips in, but that doesn't happen so often that it makes the skill levels that much different. And, late in a PL tournament, the blind size to stack ratio is often enough that a preflop raise will allow a push anyway, just as though it was NL.

The BIG skill difference to me, is betting to make the most of your hand. In both NL and PL, after the flop, you can still make a large enough bet to push most hands out. The fact that some feel the need to push in NL, thus overbetting their hands, does not create a large skill level difference. But trying to BUILD a pot in PL, and trying to WIN a pot in NL, are the biggest difference.

All in all, I think PL requires more skill, just not as much of a difference as most seem to think. The difference is more in the differing skill sets required, rather than level of skill needed.

In conclusion, I say Pot Limit requires more skill. But it is somewhat close.