PDA

View Full Version : Dear bison: the May advice thread.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:03 PM
A couple weeks ago I made a thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2118638&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1) to try to save you from yourselves. Advice was distributed, I shat on some people, lives were changed and souls saved. Nonetheless, it has come to my attention that some (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2282772&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) people (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2282952&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post2283675) still (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2255408&pa ge=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) help (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=2271509&pa ge=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) need (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2277379&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1). Plus, I'm running a fever, so I'm bored out of my hot hot throbbing skull, which is why this May advice thread is getting off the ground on April 30th.

So the premise remains the same: many of y'all are broken cymbal monkeys, thrown in the trash behind the carny booth of life, and I'm here to patch you up, and help you get back on that big old prize shelf we call happiness.

If you post an interesting and/or sincere question in this thread, I will respond with life-altering clarity, compassion and concision. It's the least I can do.

bugstud
04-30-2005, 07:06 PM
How much longer until I qualify for the WSOP?

tbach24
04-30-2005, 07:07 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif this thread.

Dear Bison,

I have no ambition. There is only 1 thing I really enjoy, and that is sports. Anyways, I'm not good enough to be an athlete and I doubt that I'm smart enough to get into management. However, since this is my only ambition and I know that I won't be able to succeed in it, I don't have motivation. Help!

Non_Comformist
04-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Dear bisonbison,

I have for the last month become somwhat depressed or in a general funk. Cures?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:08 PM
Dear bugstud,

The proper format is going to be "Dear bison," followed by a question that isn't dumb.

mason55
04-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Dear bison,

My girlfriend (who I live with) is gone for the week. I have plenty of things to do (ie my normal schedule) but I feel like I should do something more, something crazy. The problem is, there's nothing I'm not "allowed" to do (except smoke inside). I would never date a girl like that. I went to the strip clubs last night, but like I said, I could do that any weekend.

Her cat is starting to look pretty hot, is that the answer?

Help me!

bugstud
04-30-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear bugstud,

The proper format is going to be "Dear bison," followed by a question that isn't dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok.

Dear Bison,

Who do you like in the NL Central this year?

signed,
Cubs fan

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:18 PM
Dear tbach,

Three things:

1. Most sport franchises are not run or staffed by geniuses. They're staffed with reasonably intelligent people. Most people, with effort, can achieve reasonable intelligence.
2. For most non-players, the most straightforward and forgiving way to get a job with a team is to start low and work hard. I'd suggest writing to every pro team in your area (minor or major league/Arena Football/IHL/MLS/whatever as long as you're entertained by the sport) and ask if they have any internships, paid or unpaid.
3. Motivation is like a disease - you don't catch it by sitting around the house, you get it by exposing yourself to new things and seeing what nests in your chest cavity.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Dear Noncomformist,

The basics of getting out of a medium-sized funk: stop doing what you're doing and start doing something else. Not posting on internet forums is always a good first step, but for more details I'd need to hear a little bit more about where you're at right now.

touchfaith
04-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Dear Bison,

Is there any place that serves a better Linguini With Clams and Mussels (in red sauce) then "Frankie Johnnie & Luigi Too" in Mountain View?

DAMN this is good stuff! My tastebuds are exploding in delight! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Dear mason,

I would suggest not tapping that cat.

As for something stupid and crazy that won't lead to relationship drama: this fits the bill (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1415905&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=7&o=14&fpart=all&vc=1).

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Dear ThinMan,

I'm not a big seafood fan, so I'll just say that if you go on a weekday afternoon, Amici's at the corner of Castro and El Camino has some very attractive waitresses. It's not a full menu of italian dishes, and they serve the rolls cold, but smiling at pretty girls often compensates for that.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:28 PM
Dear Cubs Fan,

I don't like any of the teams in the NL central, but if anyone in the division finishes within 5 games of the Cards I will be very surprised.

touchfaith
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear ThinMan,

I'm not a big seafood fan, so I'll just say that if you go on a weekday afternoon, Amici's at the corner of Castro and El Camino has some very attractive waitresses. It's not a full menu of italian dishes, and they serve the rolls cold, but smiling at pretty girls often compensates for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Bison,

Is that the one Ralph Barbieri goes to or is there another in the city? I use to call that guy all the time and call him Gary to piss him off...would love to get a chance to do so in person... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Non_Comformist
04-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Dear bisonbison,

I'm not sure if it is a medium sized funk, truthfully it may be more serious. I don't know how to explain it other than physically it feels as though I have a weight pressing down upon my chest. Emotionally I can only describe it as a constant feeling of sadness but about nothing specific. I haven't experieced any recent tragedy or upheval. I have been playing poker for a living and have finally gotten to the point where I would be able to make a lot of money, yet I not have little or no desire to play. I don't know it that is that cause or an effect. I don't know, this is over your head.

I'm willing to give up posting on forums though as I only do it now out of habit and not enjoyment. For how long should I abstain?

NC

Soul Daddy
04-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Dear bison,

Yesterday I gave my two weeks notice at my place of employment. I have been burned out for some time and there is simply no way I can co-exist with my boss. The notice was the result of the most recent, and most egregious berating he has given me. All of my co-workers feel the same way about him, though they recognize that he treats me far worse than any of them. Without my knowledge they went to his boss, who works in another building, to let him know that he is about to lose a good employee because he employs an ineffectual boar. They were advised to tell me to wait it out for a week or two and some things were going to change. This is not to say that they enacted said change, only that they were told of it.

Honestly, I don't know that this knowledge makes a difference in my decision. I'm ready for a change, and I've been wanting to do this for some time. Should I choose not to withdraw the resignation, how can I show my appreciation for my colleagues' support without diminishing their actions?

Thank you

tbach24
04-30-2005, 07:40 PM
Dear Bison,

Thanks for this, however my personality won't let me do something for a long time that I don't succeed or think I succeed in. Therefore, I feel that climbing the ranks slowly would torture me. Also, I want to make lots of money, and feel that doing something like that wouldn't give me it. I'm still in HS and this may be due to the fact that I get really into things (so far this year I've decided I want to be a physicist, pro poker player, sports writer, and a mathematician also), but sports generally are what's going on for me and they rarely make me upset. Is there another profession that ties the stuff I like (analytical thinking and such), pays a lot, and would allow me to continue to be obsessed with sports? Should I just wait and see what interests me in college?

Non_Comformist
04-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Forgive the interuption of bison's thread but how about a sports writer, assuming you are planning on going to college. You could broaden the scope of the writing to beyond just sports if you wanted to.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Dear NC,

Disease is the handmaiden of war. Isolation and burnout are the handmaidens of playing online poker for a living.

When I was playing for a living, I came to associate that feeling with the endless sameness of my days. You know you have to put in X hours a week or a month to pay your bills, and you'd like to put in Y hours on top of that so you could save some money up or buy toys or whatever, but essentially, no matter how much you make, you'll need to do it again next week or next month or whatever. If you don't enjoy those necessary hours of play, then it just becomes this dreaded, boring burden, where BBs are the only thing you produce.

Some people get more or ask less from poker than others, but I would consider, at the very least, taking a break and considering what you want to be doing in a year and whether or not poker is going to get you any closer to that.

If not, and you don't want to find a full-time job, then you might consider signing up for classes at a local college or finding a part-time job to keep yourself socially and intellectually engaged with actual people.

tbach24
04-30-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Forgive the interuption of bison's thread but how about a sports writer, assuming you are planning on going to college. You could broaden the scope of the writing to beyond just sports if you wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my things are open to anyone who will give advice. I thought about sports writing especially when I was deeply involved in fantasy football and writing 2-3 articles per week and spending lots of time thinking about it, but my brother and friends say they don't make too much. That's a big turnoff for me. Also, my writing = brutal.

tolbiny
04-30-2005, 07:45 PM
sunlight.

also web page (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2277830&page=&view=&s b=5&o=)

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Dear Soul Daddy,

Talk to your boss's boss directly. Tell your coworkers that you're greatful for the support, which you are, but talk to him and find out if he's actually willing or able to make things better for you there. If he makes a compelling case, then maybe you'll decide it's worth it to stay, but at the very least you won't be waiting for someone else to take action.

Pwn Thai
04-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Dear Bison,

I've ben with my gf for several years, but have never been with another girl. I'm 21 and feel like I might be missing out on something but I'm not sure. I think if I ended up marrying her, it would be fine, but I will probably always wonder and may regret it some day.

What's my line?

Pwn Thai

thirddan
04-30-2005, 07:57 PM
im in a similar situation, my gf of 5 years just broke up with me about 2 months ago (im 21 also)...she is the only girl i have dated seriously...i still have dreams where we are together, any ideas?

tbach24
04-30-2005, 07:58 PM
ask jessica alba out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
04-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Dear Bison,

A commercial just reminded me that its mother's day exists. What should I get her?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Dear Pwn,

It's a little mental game we play when we say "I might be missing out" here. You are missing out: if you stay with your girlfriend, you miss the opportunity to hook up with and be in relationships with other girls.

Whether those opportunities make ending your relationship with your current girlfriend worthwhile is entirely up to you, but I would think about how happy you are with her right now, and what you're thinking about when you think about other women. Cause just wanting to hook up with hot girls is different than thinking "oh, maybe there's someone I could happier with."

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Dear Kerssens,

Write her a note. If you live in the area, take her out to dinner. Otherwise, get her a certificate to a day spa.

bugstud
04-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Dear Bison,

My friends have a dilemma this evening. Shall we go with the original plan of the alphabet drinking game, where you must name a drink starting with a--->Z and drink said drink, or to go play beer pong. Doing both would kill most people involved.

Thanks!

Freakin
04-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Dear Bison:

My friend has this hot itching sensation, you know, down there. He has not told his girlfriend about it yet. What is it, and could he catch it from a toilet seat?

Freakin

tbach24
04-30-2005, 08:03 PM
with the way Wood's first inning went, I don't blame you for trying to get so trashed

thirddan
04-30-2005, 08:04 PM
the answer to this seems obvious...do both...

Klepton
04-30-2005, 08:05 PM
dear bison,

i recently got involved with my best friend's ex-girlfriend. After hanging out for a week, we had sex. I now have no desire to ever see her again. My friend said he was totally cool with me seeing his ex girlfriend.

How should i break it off with this girl?

And is this a good enough topic to start a more detailed OOT thread?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:06 PM
Dear Ian,

You're going to have those dreams for a while. Been there. Done that.

My advice would be to ask your friends if they know anybody who might like to have some non-serious fun.

If your ex ever wants to get back together, then you can deal with that when it happens. In the meantime, the best way to get on with life is to go out there with the sincere intention of having some remorse-free laughs/hookups.

bugstud
04-30-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the answer to this seems obvious...do both...

[/ QUOTE ]

note that I stated that doing both would kill all particpants involved.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Dear Bug,

Play beer pong.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Dear Freakin,

Your friend needs to see a doctor.

thirddan
04-30-2005, 08:08 PM
bah, fine, take a break in between then /images/graemlins/smile.gif

or...go until K or M and then play beer pong /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Dear Klepton,

There's no smooth way to say "Hey, it turns out that my interest in you was purely sexual novelty value," so I would probably just be brutally honest: "Katie, I don't think I want this to turn into anything more serious."

Have fun with that. But be honest and expect her to either not be happy or not care at all.

Klepton
04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
dear bison,

how have you been doing recently lifeqise / pokerwise?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Dear Klepton,

Life is treating me pretty well. Poker and I are not finding much time for each other.

thirddan
04-30-2005, 08:23 PM
thats good to hear...i haven't played a hand of poker in about 3 weeks, its kinda nice /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponger15SB
04-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Dear Bison,

Have you told your parents that you are gay?

NLSoldier
04-30-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

Have you told your parents that you are gay?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, are you considering coming out and arent sure how they are going to react?

LaggyLou
04-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Dear Bison,

I need to lose some weight. I know how -- eat right and exercise. However, I can't seem to motivate myself to do either. Part of the problem is an insane work schedule, but only part. How can I get my mind in the right place on this issue?

Thanks,
Lou

tbach24
04-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Dear Bison,

I hate talking to all but one person at my school. I am not really getting work on my social skills because of this. When I'm home, I basically hang out with the same people over and over again and therefore am not developing my social skills that way. How would I get social interaction this summer?

Edit- I generally only like smart people, who aren't arrogant and like sports

SomethingClever
04-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Dear bison,

I'm planning on moving up to 5/10 6-max soon. I should, shouldn't I?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Dear Sponger,

Did you stop beating your wife?

Jazza
04-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Dear Bison,

is there any reason i should be doing anything other than satisfying my own desires for my entire life?

handsome
04-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Dear bison,

Finals week is coming up and every year I find myself regretting not starting to study earlier. How do I get out of this habit and get myself focused early in the game?

Signed,
handsome

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Dear Lou,

It's not a mindset. It's a daily decision to act.

Unless you're working 10+ hours a day, you have time to work out and eat better. Join a gym. Find an exercise plan. Decide to follow the plan every day.

Frankly, if you make exercise, or job performance or treating people well contingent on your mood then you're never going to exercise or work hard or treat people well.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Dear tbach,

Get a job. Note: you say you "generally only like smart people" cause you're bad at talking to people and if you don't have a lot in common with them you have no idea what to say and you project your feelings of discomfort and self-consciousness onto them. Don't do that.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Dear Something,

Why do you want to move up? Why does it matter?

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Dear Jazza,

Yes. Other people matter.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Dear handsome,

You make the conscious decision to study at earlier points in the semester. That's it. Theren's no magic phrase that'll make you responsible.

SomethingClever
04-30-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Something,

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear bison,

I want to move up for more money, of course. I have dreams about the $20/hr rakeback at that level. But I'm also very risk averse, and big dollar amounts occasionally mess with my head.

My current plan is to move up with 500 BB and drop down if I lose 100 BB. Seem all right?

Jazza
04-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Dear Bison,

why do other people matter when it comes to my decisions?

tbach24
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Dear Bison,

I'm watching the Celtics-Pacers game and the refereeing has been awful. The Pacers are getting all the calls and the Celts none. How do these people get/maintain their jobs?

NLSoldier
04-30-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Something,

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear bison,

I want to move up for more money, of course. I have dreams about the $20/hr rakeback at that level. But I'm also very risk averse, and big dollar amounts occasionally mess with my head.

My current plan is to move up with 500 BB and drop down if I lose 100 BB. Seem all right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you are going to do it, you should allocate at least 200BB. You could lose 100BB in a single session or combination of two bad sessions pretty easily.

edit-I realize that I am not named bison but I felt like chiming in.

SpearsBritney
04-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Dear Bison,

Your avatar is perfect. It almost looks as though you're hanging your head in disbelief at the patheticness that is our lives.

(no response required)

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Dear Jazza,

Long story short: certain unspoken rules define our social relationships, and those rules vary depending on how we know people, how well we know people and whether there's a feeling of mutual affection between us.

But the fundamental guide to these interactions between adults in a civil society is that you don't cause people fear, anger or sadness unnecessarily. There's some common justification for this in any utilitarian/golden-rule/or tragedy-of-the-commons evaluation, but it fundamentally boils down to: don't be a dick, because that makes life harder for everyone.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Dear SC,

I agree with NLSoldier: build a bankroll large enough that a 200BB swing won't destroy your confidence. 6-max games are very swingy.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:36 PM
Dear tbach,

The NBA has a very detailed officiating review process. For the most part, refs are recruited from the college ranks, and only the refs with the best reviews in the regular season are invited to officiate the playoffs.

Jazza
04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Dear Bison,

no worries if you don't respond, you've already respond twice, but all of those utilitarian/golden-rule/or tragedy-of-the-commons seem to be arbitrary

[ QUOTE ]
don't be a dick, because that makes life harder for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

i could just as easily say:

be a dick, because that makes life harder for everyone.

again, it all seems arbitrary

SpearsBritney
04-30-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

no worries if you don't respond, you've already respond twice, but all of those utilitarian/golden-rule/or tragedy-of-the-commons seem to be arbitrary

[ QUOTE ]
don't be a dick, because that makes life harder for everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

i could just as easily say:

be a dick, because that makes life harder for everyone.

again, it all seems arbitrary

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to interject, but I think Bison's use of the word "everyone" meant including yourself.

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Dear Jazza,

Treating people well (acknowledging that your needs and desires don't automatically trump theirs) is a self-reinforcing mechanism for social harmony.

If you think that there's not a worthwhile difference between A) less effort for people to get along well and B) more effort for people to get along well, I don't know what to tell you.

Jazza
04-30-2005, 09:56 PM
Dear Bison,

i totally agree with you that i think it's great other people treat other's well, but we're just talking about me here

if i act like an dick the social fabric of my country will not unravel

bisonbison
04-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Dear Jazza,

No, the country won't unravel, but you won't have any friends worth having.

Jazza
04-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Dear Bison,

quite right, but i desire to have friends, therefore i put the effort in to be nice to them, but onlly for my own desires ultimatly

brassnuts
04-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Dear Bison,

What should I get my mom for Mother's Day?

billyjex
04-30-2005, 10:46 PM
dear bison,

what place will I finish in the WSOP main event? Thanks.

VBM
04-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Dear Bison,

Shirley Povich was my favorite baseball and sportswriter of all time. I'm afraid his brand of graceful, dignified writing eloquence is gone forever from sports writing; replaced by the Steven A Smith's of the world. Tell me there are still sports writers worth the price of the newspaper and who they are?

snowden719
04-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Dear Jazza,

We all have times in which we fall into sceptical doubt as to whether or not the normative question could ever be answered, but I think you should take a look at Korsgaard's The Sources of Normativity. I think you will find the book fascinating and will answer doubts you have over whther or not you should be moral and whether or not you should consider others as meaningful entities. In the end I think you will see that you find value in yourself due to the cognitive process of self reflection, and that once you see that you vale that in yourself, it is hard to not value it in other people. Don't think that your reason-making process is somehow private! The only way to acknowledge the humanity of others is to participate in the Kingodom of Ends, and it totally kicks ass.

cheers

Daliman
04-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Dear Bison;

Daliwoman is due to have another Dalispawn on Nov 30. I have 3 questions.

1. Daliboy or Daligirl?
2. Born early or late?
3. Are you planning on paying child support?

TY in advance,
Daliman

snowden719
04-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Jazza, in terms of self interest theory, I think you will find upon reflection that it becomes self-defeating. If the only thing you value is your own well-being then you will often times find yourself in a situation in which you are worse off for being that way. For example, you are stranded in the desert and I see you as I am driving by. I stop to ask you what is wrong and you tell me that if I drive you to a town that is out of my way that you will go to the ATM and pay me $100 for my services. Once I take you into town, it is in your self interest to break the contract and not pay me the $100. Knowing this I refuse to take you into town as I cannot guarentee I won't be cheated by you, and you starve and die in the desert as a result. In this instance, caring only about your well-being and how well things go for you can lead to instances in which self-interest theories are self-defeating, and the fact that you want only happiness for yourself will produce only sadness.

uw_madtown
04-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Dear Bison,

I suspect that I am no better than a 1 - 1.5 BB/100 winner at the 2/4 and 3/6 levels on Party. By September 1st (my one year anniversary of serious work on playing limit), I want to be a 2 BB/100 winner at 5/10 6-max.

A) Do you think this is achievable? I'm fully prepared for a brutally honest response.

B) How would you order the following activities in terms of their importance for improving as a limit player: Playing Hands, Analyzing PT Data, Posting Hands, Reading and Responding to Hands, Reading SSH/TOP/HEFAP.

C) Do you have any other general advice for taking my small stakes game to another level?

D) I haven't seen you respond to the threads in the B&M forum about 2+2 June 18-19 Vegas Madness. I'm sure the multitudes of SSers would be overjoyed at your attendence, or at the least, would buy you many a beer. I assume that you'll be there, because, hey, free beer.

The Yugoslavian
04-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Dear Bison,

I recently participated in a Mat Sklansky Appreciation Haiku Contest (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2228002&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) in OOT.

I have been dabbling in Haikus over in the STT forum and was eager to contribute a few Haikus in honor of Mat (he certainly does a pretty good job keeping the trash out of the forums).

I was very pleased when one of my Haikus was declared the winner of the contest! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The contest originator asked me to pm my Party info for a transfer of the $200 that he promised the winner and I, of course, obliged.

Well, after awhile with no response I received the following pm:

[ QUOTE ]

i actually plan to donate that money to a charity instead of giving it to you.

sorry if you think im a dick.

-kane

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I thought these turn of events odd as if the money was going to charity, it would make sense to let me pick itand that it would have been mentioned in the thread before the winner was declared and promise of prize money to be paid out was made.

I've always been impressed by the integrity of many posters here in the matters of paying off debts owed. However, occasionally circumstances like this seem to arise.

Is there any way of obtaining the money owed to me??

Yugoslav

Jazza
04-30-2005, 11:57 PM
in that situation i would pay you the $100, it is not in my best interest to break the contract because as you said then you would not have picked me up in the first place

snowden719
04-30-2005, 11:59 PM
but after I give you the ride to town it only hurts you to pay me.

jdl22
05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
OFF TOPIC, sorry. I'll make up for it by seeking the advice of Bison later.

Being self interested in this situation is only bad for you if you or one of the other players are not forward looking. In the desert scenario you and the driver should realise that in the future you will want to shaft him and setup some sort of mechanism that forces you to deliver the $100. For example, you give the driver your wallet and any possessions you have on you. The hassle of not getting the stuff back, canceling credit cards ... make it worth $100 to you to get it back. He now has the incentive to drive you and the system is hence incentive compatible.

Of coures there are situations where everyone acting in their own best interest is bad for society as a whole, but still any single person is better off being a selfish jerk. Good thing most people actually care about others.

Jazza
05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
listen man, i have character, for situations like these

i pay you $100 to keep my character intact

besides how are you gonna know i am a jackass if you haven't met me before?

jdl22
05-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Dearest Bison,

I have a female friend to whom I'm becoming attracted. We are both in long distance relationships, and I'm getting married in July so obviously this isn't really a good thing. It has been posited by friends of mine that a reason for this attraction is my pending wedding. Is this likely the case? The most +EV move is getting married and it's not close. I would, however, like to remain friends with this girl as she is an excellent friend, but am having difficulty keeping the emotions in check. Any suggestions there? A strange thing is that my friend and my fiance have a lot of similarities in looks and personality. Is it more likely that I simply have a type into which both fit or is it something more perverse psychologically?

I am honored to be your humble servant,

jdl22

SpearsBritney
05-01-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

besides how are you gonna know i am a jackass if you haven't met me before?

[/ QUOTE ]

your posts /images/graemlins/grin.gif

zokbarjazz
05-01-2005, 01:13 AM
Dear Bison,

1. How come Wesleyan can't beat Williams in football?

2. What is an Eph?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Dead
05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Dear Bison,

I've recently become addicted to bowling.

I've bowled 20 games in the past 2 and a half days.

I go to bed each night waiting for morning so I can bowl.

It's fun and not a really damaging activity like shooting heroin. Should I stop?

Dead

Eurotrash
05-01-2005, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

I recently participated in a Mat Sklansky Appreciation Haiku Contest (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2228002&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) in OOT.

I have been dabbling in Haikus over in the STT forum and was eager to contribute a few Haikus in honor of Mat (he certainly does a pretty good job keeping the trash out of the forums).

I was very pleased when one of my Haikus was declared the winner of the contest! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The contest originator asked me to pm my Party info for a transfer of the $200 that he promised the winner and I, of course, obliged.

Well, after awhile with no response I received the following pm:

[ QUOTE ]

i actually plan to donate that money to a charity instead of giving it to you.

sorry if you think im a dick.

-kane

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I thought these turn of events odd as if the money was going to charity, it would make sense to let me pick itand that it would have been mentioned in the thread before the winner was declared and promise of prize money to be paid out was made.

I've always been impressed by the integrity of many posters here in the matters of paying off debts owed. However, occasionally circumstances like this seem to arise.

Is there any way of obtaining the money owed to me??

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

damn dude. That [censored] is low. Can't believe he pulled that on you, that was a fine haiku as well.

Who does that though? Offers money like that to get responses to a thread then welches?

Rearden
05-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Dear BisonBison,
I've been told recently that I have a serious illness (cancer.. a very treatable kind luckily).. I have surgery in a few days and won't know the full story (spread, severity) until about a week afterward. I am home for the summer already from college but few of my friends are also off. I can't play cards because quite honestly my decision making abilities are crap right now... what could I do to waste time and try to get my mind off of this? (I've already read all my old comic books and even resorted to watching lame family movies and every rentable video I have any interest in).
-Rearden

tbach24
05-01-2005, 02:05 AM
there are some really quality tv shows you might want to check out

24, family guy, south park, alias, and others are good and will eat time well

Non_Comformist
05-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Good luck man. Baseball fan at all? If so you could check out mlb.tv

Dead
05-01-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck man. Baseball fan at all? If so you could check out mlb extra innings

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Non_Comformist
05-01-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck man. Baseball fan at all? If so you could check out mlb extra innings

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, no. It was right the first time.

Dead
05-01-2005, 02:26 AM
MLB.TV = low quality picture

MLB Extra innings= VERY high quality picture.

I speak from experience.

The Yugoslavian
05-01-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

damn dude. That [censored] is low. Can't believe he pulled that on you, that was a fine haiku as well.

Who does that though? Offers money like that to get responses to a thread then welches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, any suggestions? Just start poll or thread in OOT to see if it will change his mind?

I looked at some of his posts and he splits his time between OOT and the Mid/High forum. I was under the impression that many/most Mid/High posters had a sor of code of honor regarding money owed....

I guess I was wong. Anyway, for a mid/high guy you'd think he was serious and would own up to the debt.

Yugoslav

Non_Comformist
05-01-2005, 04:09 AM
I think a shame post would be in order.

uw_madtown
05-01-2005, 04:54 AM
Dear bison,

How does one go about "closing the deal," so to speak, when flirting with a chick? I'm a 22 year old who spent nearly 4 years in and out of a relationship with a girl I started dating my senior year of HS. End result is a slight hang-up on her (yet I was the one who ended it /images/graemlins/confused.gif) and a complete lack of ability to close the deal when talking with a chick at the end of the night. I still struggle to introduce myself to new girls, but flirting and conversation is easy once I do -- I've always been good at this, and didn't shut it down while seeing my ex. But I can't imagine asking a chick for her number, or to come back to my place, without sounding like a total idiot. It's something I have no experience at, and despite telling myself that I'm going to finally sack-up and do it, I usually back out at the last second.

Signed,
Boy Attempting Game In New Arenas

Eurotrash
05-01-2005, 05:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I looked at some of his posts and he splits his time between OOT and the Mid/High forum. I was under the impression that many/most Mid/High posters had a sor of code of honor regarding money owed....

I guess I was wong. Anyway, for a mid/high guy you'd think he was serious and would own up to the debt.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here, I felt the same way about the unwritten debt code. But Kane does kind of act like a wanker sometimes though, so I'm not totally surprised at this.

hope he owns up and pays the debt.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Dear Brassnuts,

Asked and answered.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:10 AM
Dear Billy,

I am not psychic. Don't ask stupid questions.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Dear Ollie,

Tone is a generational thing, but it's not as if it's uniform - as the Poviches and Leonard Koppett's of the world disappear, they get replaced by different types of younger men.

You've got to experiment a little, but I will say that for the most part, people on the sabermetric bandwagon are going to be a lot more bearable - if only because they believe in certain types of evidentiary proof. Bill James and Jayson Stark can both be pontificating windbags, but at the end of the day, James has made you look at a player in twelve different ways while Stark is still promoting Shannon Stewart's MVP campaign.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Dear Daliman,

Blah blah blah.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:23 AM
Dear Yugoslavian,

No, there's no way to get the money. Such is the life of the itinerant haikuist.

Tron
05-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Dear bison,

What is your take on "Peachy Avatar Day?"

Thank you,
Tom

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Dear jdl,

You probably feel attracted to this girl because she's attractive (personally and physically) and because your fiance is far away. It happens.

Assuming that you're actually happy with your fiance, then this'll probably remain a nice friendship where you get a little charge cause she's attractive, but if you find yourself thinking, before or after the wedding, that this other woman makes a nice Plan B, I'd suggest putting some distance between you socially and letting your brain cool off.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Dear Jeremy,

Williams college is an athletic powerhouse, the Stanford of Div3, and football is its most visible sport. Wesleyan, on the other hand, has 2900 students (undergrad and graduate), but calls itself a university and is regularly confused with Wellesley by anyone not deeply steeped in the farce of 'elite' colleges.

As for your second question: Williams was named for Ephraim Williams, a british soldier who left some money for a school as long as they named it and the town after him. An Eph is a Williams student, but there's no good reason for it.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Dear Dead,

It's fun. It may lead to nerve damage in your wrists that will make it more difficult for you to post sixty times a day. I say go for it!

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Dear Rearden,

Good luck man. But I'll just echo other people's advice - play video games, rent season by season tv shows, go out for a walk, sit in the sun (unless it's skin cancer), eat well, and let us know how it goes.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Dear bagina,

Just remember, you can't baffle people with lines. Either she feels like hooking up with and/or seeing you again or she doesn't, so just tell her that you like her and see how it goes.

Do you mind if I give you a call sometime?
Hey, I'd like to see you again.
et cetera, and so forth.

And if you'd like to get going this evening with a girl, the follwoing is a tried and true conversation that will tell you whether she wants to go have some fun:

You, after the movie or dinner or whatever: "So, what do you feel like doing?"
Her: "Oh, I don't know. Whatever."
You: "Wanna chill at my place?"
Her: "Meh/Sure/Etc."

If she says "sure", this entitles you to more flirting. But please be respectful. Just because she's sitting on your bed doesn't mean she wants your penis in her ear.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 06:54 AM
Dear Tom,

It would be difficult for me to care less about Peachy Avatar Day.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 07:07 AM
Dear Madtown,

A) It is achievable, but the games you are talking about are very different from one another. 2/4 and 3/6 at party are very different, and they're both very different from 6-max games.

B) Playing hands, Reading and responding to hands, reading books, posting hands, analyzing PT. Please note that the reading and posting are waaaay ahead of PT.

C) Stop multitabling.

D) I haven't been reading the B&M forum. I will try to remember to take a look.

Daliman
05-01-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Yugoslavian,

No, there's no way to get the money. Such is the life of the itinerant haikuist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some Advice columnist. Can't even spell internet.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tbach24
05-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Dear Bison,

Two things are bothering me with my internet:

1. It keeps shutting on and off for about 5-15 seconds in no noticable pattern.
2. This box saying "The attempt to access adserver.conjelco has timed out" or something along those lines comes up 4x in no noticable pattern other than a lot.

Please anyone help me

VayaConDios
05-01-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't. The defining characteristic of any relationship is the degree to which the persons involved in the relationship are committed to maintaining the illusion that they are ends and not means.

bisonbison
05-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Dear tbach,

I would suggest contacting your ISP, but frankly they won't care either.

DBowling
05-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Dear Bison,

I am not passionate about anything in my life. The days seem to drag on, and there's nothing i enjoy doing all that much. Please help.

Thanks,
DB

B Dids
05-01-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear ThinMan,

I'm not a big seafood fan,

[/ QUOTE ]

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE LISTENING TO THIS MAN?

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rearden
05-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks Bison and everyone else who commented.. its not skin cancer (after this is over I may try cycling for the irony of it). I'll def. look into MLB and some hardcore TV time. I just needed some ideas that didnt involve sitting around in the dark crying like an emo kid. I broke out the N64 today, I forgot the old school power that is cartridge gaming. Anyway Im under the knife tomorrow and then.. won't know exactly how it went until a few days after. Thanks again for the ideas and well wishing guys.

tbach24
05-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Good luck!

Talk2BigSteve
05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Dear Bison,

Since this advice thread is the OOT, would it be inappropriate to ask you advice on Poker?

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

razor
05-01-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

Since this advice thread is the OOT, would it be inappropriate to ask you advice on Poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Asking for poker advice in OOT is gay.

tbach24
05-01-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you're Living, Learning, Laughing while doing it, I'm gonna guess it's okay

Talk2BigSteve
05-01-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As long as you're Living, Learning, Laughing while doing it, I'm gonna guess it's okay

[/ QUOTE ]

Please let that [censored] go, everyone complained about it, and then when I stopped using it, everyone puts it as a reply to everything that I post, WTF?

juanez
05-01-2005, 09:28 PM
"Ask me about racial slurs"

Dear bison,
Is simply mentioning someone's race without mal intent considered a racial slur?

-juanez

Jazza
05-01-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't. The defining characteristic of any relationship is the degree to which the persons involved in the relationship are committed to maintaining the illusion that they are ends and not means.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has always been a suspicion of mine, but i am open minded and will consider other's opinions

somethingstupid
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Dear Bison,

Can't say I've read enough of this thread to know if someone's asked this question already. I am currently a grad student. My only classes are in the afternoon. I have no pressing reason to get out of bed before 11 AM. This means I often show up to lab around noon. This is a problem for various reasons that I won't bother explaining at this point.

How can I make myself get up and start my days earlier?

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Dear Jaunez,

When we talk about slurs we're really talking about nouns and verbs. In the same way that yelling 'Fire!' can be fine in combat and bad in a dinner theatre, there are times when the long list of ethnic slurs can be trotted out appropriately - for humor, for comradery, for reflection. It's the intent that shines through.

For the less offensive terms of racial identification - skin tone, ethnicity, national origin, there are often times when including them makes perfect sense, but just be aware of the subtle difference between:

My doctor is Chinese and sometimes it's hard to understand her.
I liked the Chinese doctor better than the American one.
I went to my Chinese doctor.

In the first two examples, the fact that the doctor is Chinese adds something to the explanation. In the third, it just sounds wierd.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Dear SomethingStupid,

The key to getting up earlier is going to bed earlier. If you're going to bed at midnight, you can't really expect to start your day before 8am. 1am > 9am, 4am > noon.

The best way to move your sleep schedule earlier is to exercise daily, cause then you'll actually be tired.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Dear Big Steve,

We all have burdens to bear.

Living, Learning, Laughing,
bison

purnell
05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Not to poop in bison's yard, but I have something that really works, and has no harmful side effects.

The phenomenon is called "brain wave synchronization" (http://www.bwgen.com/theory.htm) . I made my own audio track using fruityloops and cooledit, based on this theory. The one I'm using now is 30 minutes long and has a constant binaural beat at about 4 Hz. When I want to go to sleep but don't feel sleepy, I listen to the track at high volume in headphones, and I am asleep before the track is over.

MarkL444
05-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Dear Bison,

What do you think matters most in life? If there is no afterlife and nothing we do in life has any bearing on what happens when we die, what actions still have meaning?

Mark

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Dear Mark,

The primary drives are to live and to be happy. Everyone's primary obligation is to pursue those drives without causing undue suffering to others, through action or inaction. The fundamental question: what is 'undue'?

MarkL444
05-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Dear Bison,

Why do you think its important for us to be happy? This seems selfish to me. Is it possible for every person in the world to be happy at the same time unless the sole source of their happiness is other peoples happiness?

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "What is undue?".

Mark

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Dear Mark,

Why do you think its important for us to be happy?

Because the other option sucks.

This seems selfish to me.

It is selfish, that's why it must be balanced by the obligation to not cause suffering.

Is it possible for every person in the world to be happy at the same time

I don't know. I do know that it is possible to reduce the overall suffering in the world, and that that will allow more people to be happy.

When I say that the fundamental debate is "what is undue?", I'm saying that since we're obligated to avoid causing undue suffering to others, the main source of debate will be over what constitutes "undue suffering".

DBowling
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

I am not passionate about anything in my life. The days seem to drag on, and there's nothing i enjoy doing all that much. Please help.

Thanks,
DB

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasnt sure if this was missed or ignored /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Dear DB,

Missed. Will try to answer later today.

Chris Daddy Cool
05-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Dear bisonbison,

i will be done with college soon, but i have no idea what to do after i graduate. parts of me thinks life will be pretty easy as i could just "go pro" but the other part of me wants to actually do something productive in life rather than sit behind my computer (or in a cardroom) all day, and plus poker already doesn't sit well with my parents and my girlfriend anyways. any suggestions?

chris

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Dear chris,

You're a sharp guy. Life can be pretty easy whatever you end up doing, but I would highly recommend getting a 9-5 job out of college. It's simple, no variance, and you get to meet people.

If there's nothing that interests you in the slightest, I would just suggest going to every recruiting dinner/meeting/chat you hear about that is even mildly interesting. At worst, you'll get better at networking/interviewing. At best, you'll find something that sounds interesting.

Besides, you'll be playing however much poker you want regardless.

sfer
05-02-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm going to Vegas in June. Where should I stay? Mirage is out given Clark et al's reports of the mid-limit games vacating. So, Bellagio or Wynn?

FishNChips
05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear jdl,

You probably feel attracted to this girl because she's attractive (personally and physically) and because your fiance is far away. It happens.

Assuming that you're actually happy with your fiance, then this'll probably remain a nice friendship where you get a little charge cause she's attractive, but if you find yourself thinking, before or after the wedding, that this other woman makes a nice Plan B, I'd suggest putting some distance between you socially and letting your brain cool off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear Bison:

If I am incorrect to disagree with you in your post please feel free to smite me. That said, I must disagree with your advice here.

It is difficult to be married, it is made more difficult if you attempt to hold on to female friends that you are attracted to. Having a friendship with someone that "gives you a charge" is not a good thing. The "charge" comes from the mystery, the unkown, the anticipation, the novelty - these are things that your wife can not give you after years of marriage. Your wife will give you a "charge" in many many other ways, but having a "friend" like this can be detrimental.

jdl needs to ask himself WHY this is occuring. If he is convinced that marriage is +EV and its not even close then he needs to cut ties with this other woman quickly, especially considering the distance between himself and his finace'. This is not a good situation.

I apologize for interrupting and arguing with our distinguished host, he provides tremendous insight and a wealth of knowledge, all sprinkled with wit and humor. I look forward to the Dear Bison Bison posts... I just had to jump in here.

Respectfully,
FishNChips

nolanfan34
05-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Dear Bison,

After reading this....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to Vegas in June. Where should I stay? Mirage is out given Clark et al's reports of the mid-limit games vacating. So, Bellagio or Wynn?

[/ QUOTE ]

....and realizing I'll probably be the only one at the Mirage that weekend, should I bang my head against a normal wall, or a brick wall?

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Dear Wendell,

You should stay some place that will allow you to split a moderately priced room with me for Friday and Saturday nights (separate beds, please). Once you find such a place, you should email me.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Dear Fish,

That's why I made the distinction between 'I'm actually happy' and 'Well, if this doesn't work out there's always that girl'. If there's any part of the latter in his interaction, then it's gonna be better to put some enforced space between him and her now.

B Dids
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Dear Bison,

I am planning a trip to the North East in August.

I'm either going to Foxwoods or AC, but can't decide which. Foxwoods probably has more potential 2+2ers I want to see, but if I go there it's more likely to be just poker. AC allows me to do some NYC tourist stuff, but I won't see some of my friends.

Suggestions?

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Dear Burton,

Go to foxwoods. Meet up with 2+2ers. Have fun. The northeast in august is crappy enough without dying of the heat in NYC.

JaBlue
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Dear Bisonbison,
I have a friend who is my chess coach and is a father-figure to me. He is also a very strong poker player. I often go to his house and he has two computers with his account and his wive's. We play in the same tournament at the same time and discuss critical hands while they occur. We do not discuss hands or look at each other's hole cards if somehow we've been placed at the same table in a tournament. Is this collusion?

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Dear Jablue,

If you are sitting at the same table, any discussion of your hands is collusion until you've both folded.*

If you're not sitting at the same table, it's basically fine.

*kind of. but you get the point.

meep_42
05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're not sitting at the same table, it's basically fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? It wouldn't be fine live if he stepped over to another table to ask advice, why is it morally alright online to do so? Because there are no measures to prevent it?

-d

MoreWineII
05-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Bison,

I'm an MMOG junkie. Currently, it's WoW. I have a lvl 60 rogue but it's a bitch to find end-game instance groups. Should I reroll a priest or stick it out?

Thanks,

MW2

uw_madtown
05-02-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same question.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Dear D,

Essentially, players online have live access to, among other things AIM, IRC, forums, odds calculators, books and a load of other stuff that they don't have available live.

Online, any additional information that doesn't include or indicate the content/value of unseen cards in the current hand is fair game unless explicitly stated otherwise. It's the nature of the online beast.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Dear MWII,

Reroll as a human male who doesn't play online RPGs.

MoreWineII
05-02-2005, 06:41 PM
If you were a Horde, I'd peekay you.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Dear Madtown,

I pretended to flip a coin and it would have come up heads or tails. Act accordingly.

bisonbison
05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Dear Scott,

Normal wall.

NLSoldier
05-02-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

After reading this....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

....and realizing I'll probably be the only one at the Mirage that weekend, should I bang my head against a normal wall, or a brick wall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me and Justin and 2 of our other friends will be at the mirage as well...

Matt Flynn
05-02-2005, 10:02 PM
non-comformist,

remember also sunlight, exercise, sleep, dogs, friends and sex. they are the best antidepressants.

matt

Jazza
05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
at the same time?

Corey
05-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Dear Bison,

I need an alcohol recommendation for my entry into an alcohol "tournament." In previous years the teams have been selected by simply what my roomates and I had. This years tournament is a four-team invitational which will be judged on the following critera with relative weights: smoothness-to-alcohol content (65%), taste* (35%) with flavor* being a tie breaker. *Taste being how well the alcohol envelops the flavors desired. Falvor is stuff like "orange," "scotch-y", etc and hopefully will not be used as a deciding factor. Decesions are based on one non-chased 1 oz. shot only. This selection process is fraught with erros but we shall choose to ingore that now. It is four teams, three people, round robin, ties broken by with a shot-off

To get an idea about these peoples taste preferences (and price range), previous three winners have been Goldschlager, 99 Bananas, and Drambuie. I would also consider stacking the deck with an un-cut bourbon like Booker's or a mild-cut like Bakers.

I am torn between the following: Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Southern Comfort 100 proof, Grand Marnier, and Tuaca. Tequila is barred because I have a bitch for an ex-roomate.

There is much on the line: 4th place finisher picks up drink tips for 1st place all weekend where possible, 3rd place pay for gas both ways between San Diego and Vegas. Second place gets nothing and first gets the aforementioned no-tip drinks.

bisonbison
05-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Dear Corey.

I don't do shots. That having been said, I've always like vanilla rum.

rmarotti
05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Corey.

I don't do shots. That having been said, I've always like vanilla rum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is anyone taking advice from this "man" ?

Shajen
05-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Dear Bison,

Ever since you took me to hunting camp last summer and showed me "what big people do," my wee-wee itches constantly and it burns when I pee. Why does this happen?

sfer
05-03-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Wendell,

You should stay some place that will allow you to split a moderately priced room with me for Friday and Saturday nights (separate beds, please). Once you find such a place, you should email me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. The room will likely also include The JBB. And if you can convince the Joshinator that he should return to Las "You Fcuking Bastard" Vegas, him too.

jdl22
05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Dearest Bison,

Any thoughts on the Seville derby this weekend? It's the most important 'derbi' ever with Sevilla in 3rd and Betis 7th. I'm hoping Sevilla can win maintaining the streak of 8 years without losing to Betis. Can we do it? In case you're not familiar I would reccomend using the google search engine. Yahoo would work as well but you strike me as a google guy /images/graemlins/wink.gif Penultimately, I'm watching the match at another guys house. He likes soccer a lot but doesn't care about the outcome. What's the best mindset to take when watching what you feel is the most important match of the season with someone who could only care slightly less about the outcome? Finally, what would be appropriate for me to bring? We're not really close friends or anything but he's letting me come over to watch the game since he gets it and I don't.

Your humble servant,

jdl22

bisonbison
05-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Dear Wendell,

Word.

bugstud
05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

I need an alcohol recommendation for my entry into an alcohol "tournament." In previous years the teams have been selected by simply what my roomates and I had. This years tournament is a four-team invitational which will be judged on the following critera with relative weights: smoothness-to-alcohol content (65%), taste* (35%) with flavor* being a tie breaker. *Taste being how well the alcohol envelops the flavors desired. Falvor is stuff like "orange," "scotch-y", etc and hopefully will not be used as a deciding factor. Decesions are based on one non-chased 1 oz. shot only. This selection process is fraught with erros but we shall choose to ingore that now. It is four teams, three people, round robin, ties broken by with a shot-off

To get an idea about these peoples taste preferences (and price range), previous three winners have been Goldschlager, 99 Bananas, and Drambuie. I would also consider stacking the deck with an un-cut bourbon like Booker's or a mild-cut like Bakers.

I am torn between the following: Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Southern Comfort 100 proof, Grand Marnier, and Tuaca. Tequila is barred because I have a bitch for an ex-roomate.

There is much on the line: 4th place finisher picks up drink tips for 1st place all weekend where possible, 3rd place pay for gas both ways between San Diego and Vegas. Second place gets nothing and first gets the aforementioned no-tip drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you could try some hangar one vodka, it's pretty nice when chilled if you want a flavored one. BTW, good tequilla should make your roommate less of a wimp. Also, Rumplemintz is another good choice.

Spladle Master
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Dear bison,

In your last advice thread, I asked (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2141721&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) for and got (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2142650&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1) your thoughts on what I should do about my insomnia and imminent flunking out of college. Well, in a thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=2263091&page=&view=&s b=5&o=) that you may or may not have seen, I explained that flunking out of college is no longer a problem for me (although I did end up failing chemistry). However, I still can't sleep. I failed to mention this in my last post, but I haven't had a drink since Christmas, I can't smoke 'cause of my asthma (I'd die), and I have no idea what tweaking means.

Actually, I should have explained that I've gone through bouts with insomnia since I was about thirteen, but it's never gotten as bad as it's been recently. I tried taking your advice and stopped taking Nyquil for awhile; it took me almost four whole days to fall asleep. Not a world record or anything, I know, but I was pretty damned miserable near the end.

Exercise hasn't helped and the student health center told me to go to a neighborhood clinic. Should I? I'm pretty sure they're just going to prescribe me sleeping pills, and honestly I feel more comfortable with the Nyquil.

Oh, and I'm not at all sure that school is what I want to be doing, but for the moment I can't see myself doing anything else. So here I am.

Help?

dabluebery
05-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Bison, I tried to send you a PM, but those are turned off. How did your custom "animal" chips go? Last I heard, you had submitted some requests to the something awful forums.....

Dex
05-04-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Bison,

Ever since you took me to hunting camp last summer and showed me "what big people do," my wee-wee itches constantly and it burns when I pee. Why does this happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, you had sex with my ex-wife.

Dex
05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good tequilla

[/ QUOTE ]

Oxymoron.

bisonbison
05-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Dear Spadle,

I didn't realize that your insomnia was that severe, but yeah, I'd go see a real for really real doctor.

bisonbison
05-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Dear JDL,

Your team is the favorite. Of course they 'can' do it.

The best mindset: it's great to watch this game, but I'm not a psychopathic sports nerd.

Gift: does he drink? If so, alcohol that he likes.

bisonbison
05-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Dear Blueberry,

they fizzled out.

razor
05-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Sounds like your problem much more serious than mine, so my recommendation might not help. However, I've been using a homeopathic remedy by Hylands's called "Calms Forte". I take 2-3 tablets 15-30 minutes before going to bed and it has helped me significantly.

UOPokerPlayer
05-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Dear Bison Bison,
This is 2 part.

What's the coolest drinking game you know of for 4-7 people in a dorm room so beer pong is out of the question. Hard alcohol or mixed drinks are going to be used instead of beer most likely.

What's the absolute best 'drunk for the buck' i've seen $11 half gallons of vodka as well as $4 bottles of wine...what's my best option if my only preference is being as thrifty as possible.

Thanks dude.

Spladle Master
05-05-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your problem much more serious than mine, so my recommendation might not help. However, I've been using a homeopathic remedy by Hylands's called "Calms Forte". I take 2-3 tablets 15-30 minutes before going to bed and it has helped me significantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get some?

razor
05-05-2005, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get some?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the Store Locator on the Hyland's (http://www.hylands.com/) website.

I expect you will be able to find it at any good health food store that sells supplaments and natural/homeopathic remedies.

Supersetoy
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Dear Bison,

This is my first question to you, since I'm relatively new here, but it's an important one in my life (and maybe for the rest of it).

I've been dating this girl for a little more than a year, and have known her since junior high. (Just graduated from College). We both have our degrees and are in successful entry level positions. She is cute, gorgeous, caring, thoughtful, and even plays, and wants to play poker with me any chance she can get (I taught her and we've been at multiple final tables together).

I definitely want to marry her, and am considering proposing to her on our trip to Vegas this summer. One problem that hangs heavy on me was early on in our relationship (first 3 months), I cheated on her...multiple times. 3 different girls, once with each girl. After the last one I swore it off forever because I realized I shouldn't be throwing away the most +EV thing going on in my life right now.

I think that confessing to her will get me castrated. Either by her, or my family and friends: they all love her and have seen me destroy previous relationships (and x-gfs lives). In fact, she'll probably read this and dump me on the spot. I really want to spend the rest of my life with this girl, but am worried I'm going to let this hang over my head for the rest of my life. I have never cheated on a girlfriend before, (honestly) and do not plan on cheating on her EVER again.

What do I do? Write it off as an "early relationship stage"? (Because I've done that already). Sidenote: Before her, I was drinking 3 nights a week, and couldn't wait to hook up with my next "new thing", and it was really tough for me to go from that life to a monogomous (sp) non-drinking one. And yes, I've been checked...no STDs...I wear my protection.

Or, fess up and live with the consequences for the rest of my life?

I'm so torn.

Setoy

jack spade23
05-05-2005, 03:54 PM
methinks an online forum, however genius its posters may be, may not be the best place to get this answered.

bisonbison
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Dear Setoy,

The gist: At the beginning of this year-long relationship you cheated on your girlfriend three distinct times.

You swore it off because you'd be throwing away your relationship, and you didn't tell her because you'd be throwing away, and now that you're far enough away from that person you felt you were, you can write it off as an "early relationship stage".*

You should tell her. If she thinks you've changed a lot since then (which it sounds like you have) and you're sincere and whatever, then maybe it can work. But frankly, this wasn't one time at a party where you got drunk and made out with someone. This was three separate decisions. She deserves to know.

*Remember that stage? The one where, in the first blush of love with someone, you go and hook up with three different girls?

MoreWineII
05-05-2005, 04:53 PM
A-[censored]-men. If you don't tell her, consider your relationship doomed. Whether it be by your guilt or by her finding out somehow, it won't work, trust me.

Sorry to butt in, but I've been there...several times.

The Goober
05-05-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I've been using a homeopathic remedy by Hylands's called "Calms Forte".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but have you ever looked at the theory behind homeopathy? Do you know what designations like 100C actually mean?

Supersetoy
05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Setoy,

You should tell her. If she thinks you've changed a lot since then (which it sounds like you have) and you're sincere and whatever, then maybe it can work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for yours, and everyone elses input on the subject. She doesn't think I've changed that much. It's just that now, I drink maybe once every two weeks, and if I drink it's 2-6 drinks, not 8-15 3 times a week. It's more the environment we're in. When we started dating, we were juniors in college. Now we're out, and we actually have to go to bed at a decent time (no drinking, partying...etc.)

So, I think the only things that have changed are 1) My mentality on the relationship (didn't think it would last, now I imagine starting a family with her) and 2) My day to day responsibilities.

I'm 95% leaning towards not telling her, and only am holding on to that extra 5% if any [censored] ever goes down we can both go down swinging ("Oh yeah? Well I chea...") Kind of sadistic...but...

And, as far as posting this on the web, if she is to find out, it's meant to be, and again, I'll be the one living with the consequences.

bisonbison
05-06-2005, 12:17 AM
Just do it dude. Don't pretend like that 5% is anything but chickenshit asscovering. Do you want her to find out from the INTERNET? Have some fu[/i]cking pride.

BisonsBiznitch
05-10-2005, 12:54 AM
If it is not radically obvious to you already, yes I am a tool. Now onto my first question for Bison...

***Chick situation***

So I am currently in college and have less than 1 week before everybody goes home for the summer. I am very interested in a girl from my floor and know for a fact that she is very interested in me. If you need to know why, I'll elaborate but I don't think it matters.

If there were more time, I would certainly ask her out right now and there would be no problem.

The fact that I did not ask her out earlier is, I think, irrelevant. I made that decision for a very rational reason and am happy with the result.

So anyway, I would love to ask this girl out come next fall and am wondering if I should tell her that I am interested in her before I leave or if I should just let it be. I suppose I'm slightly worried she'll end up getting a bf over the summer or that she'll lose interest.

Thanks.

(there will likely be more questions coming... I have this username so why the hell not)