PDA

View Full Version : That's it for me!

gmanko
04-30-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm giving up on online poker.

I've read a stack of books 3 feet high, understand them, apply them (even after the flop, for those of you whose pat answer is always "you need to improve your post-flop play").

Yet I'm still down, and it doesn't seem like I'm going to do any better. I've hunted around for fishy sites, and found a couple, but the same tables where people play Jxo are the ones where people limp in with big hands, and you never know where you're at. Between the bad beats and hands where I'm drawing dead and don't know it, it's hard to make money. I usually go up a few bb, and then the cards run cold, so very cold.

I guess I'm not just not very lucky, but in an odd way. I've kept track and even though I get a set or pair on the flop, or make a straight or flush about the correct percentage of the time, either the pots are small or the board gets very scary and I can't get maximum value.

I would give an eye to flop an ace or king when I have AK, but I always seem to hit my bottom card when I have trash in the big blind.

I always get called when I am bluffing, but not when I am not (even when varyong my betting patterns).

Plus the absence of tells or even fake tells is killing me.

I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope WV gets table games soon.

gila
04-30-2005, 06:22 PM
you can hang with angry cola I guess.

IggyWH
04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope WV gets table games soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could happen soon if Pennsylvania ever gets their crap straight and gets the slots opened. Hell I know tons of people who go to WV to gamble from Pittsburgh and with that lost revenue when slots around here open up, WV will probably be looking to do something.

Homer
04-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Post your PT stats.

Non_Comformist
04-30-2005, 06:40 PM
An often over looked factor in becoming a winning player is simply experience. I started playing about 18months ago. I read all the books, 2+2, etc. For my first 6months I lost or broke even. For the next 3-6 months I won but not very much. I now play for a living and do quite well. There is nothing I can point to as being the difference. I just now have experienc. I've seen the situations and know what to do without much thought.

Also do what Homer says.

bconway6
04-30-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also do what Homer says.

[/ QUOTE ]

IggyWH
04-30-2005, 08:20 PM
I hate that avatar so bad...

bconway6
04-30-2005, 08:30 PM
I imagine, no hard feelings.

Uglyowl
04-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Everyone thinks they can be a winning poker player and it is easy. LOL.

radar5
05-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Good grief iggy.....what's it take to make you happy?

gasoltub
05-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Where do you play?
What level do you play?
How long have you played?
How many hands have you played?

I have no idea how experienced you are so perhaps this is stuff you already know...

I'm pretty much still a newb and have only 50K hands behind me, but during those hands I have had two downswings that lasted 4-5K hands. And when I hit the bottom of the swing it took me 5K hands to get back up from the first and 4K from the second, making it around 8-9K hands of breakeven poker each time. At the bottom I was down ~200BB.

Now there are lots of carpal tunnels on these forums that can tell you about much larger downswings than that as well.

razor
05-01-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always get called when I am bluffing, but not when I am not (even when varyong my betting patterns).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are playing in games where bluffing is important to winning then you are playing in the wrong games.

If you are playing in games where varying betting patterns is import to winning then you are playing in the wrong games.

Straight forward solid poker will take the money in micro-limits assuming you seek out appropriately loose games.