PDA

View Full Version : Folding Pocket aces

IGMorton
04-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Fairly tightish table. The capped preflop and eager callers made me put at least two of the players on AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AQs, KQs, QJs, AK, AQ. The SB put 3 1/2 bets in at once!

I flat chicken out... figured SB prolly had a set or big 2 pair. If i drew a 3rd ace, someone might get a straight or i might even be splitting the pot with another AA.

How many lashings do i deserve?

Party Pokerconverter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero folds, MP3 calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 17.50 BB

IGMorton
04-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Since there was a good chance someone had 2 pair... was i right to assume that i had little chance of winning if the board pairs, since it might give someone trip kings / queens?

rollingdirty
04-30-2005, 06:08 PM

rollingdirty
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM

IGMorton
04-30-2005, 07:31 PM
when you say 'bet all the way down'... you would re-raise into these players?

are you betting / raising for value with your 1 pair that won't likely improve to be the nuts? i hardly think you could bet/raise enough to get these 3 players (who all cold called pre-flop) to fold.

realistically it seems that i'm just preying pocket aces hold up since the board pairing would be horrible here. maybee calling down was a possibility?

Klepton
04-30-2005, 07:44 PM
this is dangerously weak-tight

you need to raise this flop, and continue on the turn.

the way this hand played out, it looks like one pair won

Demana
05-01-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I flat chicken out... figured SB prolly had a set or big 2 pair. If i drew a 3rd ace, someone might get a straight or i might even be splitting the pot with another AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a fifth ace came out of that deck, you've got bigger issues than just losing the pot...

You've got to RAISE the flop to protect your hand and give the gutshots and backdoors incorrect odds to call.

Your thinking in this had is fundamentally flawed. You're looking for any excuse to fold. You may have lost with AA before, but that does not mean you should be weak tight with it every other time you get it.

You're focusing on the short term of losing once or twice, rather than looking at the long term EV.

Hit the books and re-read SSHE. Don't play until you do, else your incorrect play will cause you to learn bad habits that will be tougher to break later.

purnell
05-01-2005, 07:52 PM
This is weak-tight. Play strong with aces. Sorry to be trite, but it's so very obvious.

Jdanz
05-01-2005, 08:00 PM
playing the ol five ace deck eh?

Jdanz
05-01-2005, 08:03 PM
raise and cap the flop, if they get weak you have the best hand keep betting, if they stay strong slow down and hope the board pairs or they're overplaying ak/aq. Get to the river unless you have to face two bets cold at some point.

ThePimpulator
05-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Any read on SB? Because if he is not a moron then surely you have to worry about QQ or KK with his preflop cold cap and still betting into four on the turn.

Bigdaddydvo
05-01-2005, 08:33 PM
This fold makes me sad.

Ralf
05-01-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You've got to RAISE the flop to protect your hand and give the gutshots and backdoors incorrect odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise this flop, I really doubt it's for protection. MP3 3bet preflop and is supposedly at least tightish.

AJs
AKo/s
AQo/s
KQs
AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT

I suppose you could kick out a JJ or a TT... (provided it doesn't have both BD draws) and hell, maybe he's weak tight enough to make a bad fold because everybody's raising. Also, he could discount his set outs since they make a straight more likely. But I really think proclaiming that raise protecting your hand offering 10.5 to 1 is stretching it. Gutshots aren't going anywhere for sure. Perhaps call and raise the turn? Or perhaps you should just raise because AA is a good hand, can beat top pair, and has probable set outs /images/graemlins/smile.gif JT is really hard to see here.

psyduck
05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Very weak-tight thinking. First off, what are the limits? You need to raise that flop. The fold on the turn is way too weak. Ed Miller says that you wouldn't be making much of a mistake never folding pocket aces, and in this spot with this kind of a flop/turn, he's right.

Liam Carver
05-01-2005, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't have folded here. I would have attacked from the blocks with this hand, scaring the KJo out of these pre-flop losers. Well, anyway, I wouldn't have folded to a blank on the turn.

Liam