PDA

View Full Version : 50/100 Three-handed

TheBusiness
04-30-2005, 05:24 PM
3 handed 50/100. Hero is BB with 10h8h.

Button folds, hyper-aggressive SB raises. He has raised every time the button folds and I am the BB. I call.

Flop: K96 rainbow. He bets, I call.
Turn: K. He bets, I call.
River; J. He bets, I call.

I don't normally like being so passive in a short-handed game, and I consequently feel uncomfortable with this hand. Comments on all streets appreciated.

philnewall
04-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Um....your sure you typed that out right? Calling with T high seems a wee bit strange.

TheBusiness
04-30-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Um....your sure you typed that out right? Calling with T high seems a wee bit strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I typed it right, as I said, I feel I played this poorly. Constructive comments appreciated.

NLSoldier
04-30-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I typed it right, as I said, I feel I played this poorly. Constructive comments appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

Raise the river and get him to fold his Q high.

bicyclekick
save those river calls for hands that are like Q high at least. I don't hate it, but think your call isn't +ev

Nate tha' Great
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

3-bet preflop.

LarsVegas
04-30-2005, 05:36 PM
I think calling with ten-high here can be justified if certain conditions are met.

lars

TheBusiness
04-30-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think calling with ten-high here can be justified if certain conditions are met.

lars

[/ QUOTE ]

What conditions do you have in mind?

TheBusiness
04-30-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
save those river calls for hands that are like Q high at least. I don't hate it, but think your call isn't +ev

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree its not really a +EV play. It was kind of a spur of the moment decision. I agree that folding or raising the river are both better plays 99% of the time. Which do you prefer here?

1800GAMBLER
04-30-2005, 05:46 PM
Raise the flop.

LarsVegas
04-30-2005, 05:48 PM
1) That villain is unlikely to be betting ace high here, thus increasing the ratio of bluffs over value bets for the times he bets instead of checks, the river.

2) That if, say you have a 10-to-1 shot of catching him with a worse hand here (in other words, nowhere near correct odds), you might still make up for this in implied tilt/image odds those times you indeed do catch him with a worse hand.

Against some opponents, I would even say there is some value in being showed A2 or Q8 here and just quietly muck. I think it will have postive effects more often than the other way around.

lars

LarsVegas
04-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Agree.

LarsVegas
04-30-2005, 06:47 PM
"Raise the river and get him to fold his Q high."

The pot is 6 big bets when it's bet to hero on the river. If you fancy getting 7-to-1 on a raise instead of call (assuming you will call anyway, otherwise you are getting 3.5-to-1 on the raise), on villian betting and then folding a better than than the nut Ten here, I would still feel a lot better about getting 6-to-1 on winning with that nut ten.

NLSoldier
04-30-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the nut Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You do make a good point though.

Psycho21
04-30-2005, 07:21 PM
If this guy is hyper-aggressive and you play back at him he will probably play back at you. Personally if im in this situation I feel that I have to do something to win the pot other than call down and hope I hit something.
I would probably reraise preflop, but if not I would just give the hand up on the turn

Jdanz
04-30-2005, 11:35 PM
what's your plan on the flop?

TheBusiness
04-30-2005, 11:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
3 handed 50/100. Hero is BB with 10h8h.

Button folds, hyper-aggressive SB raises. He has raised every time the button folds and I am the BB. I call.

Flop: K96 rainbow. He bets, I call.
Turn: K. He bets, I call.
River; J. He bets, I call.

I don't normally like being so passive in a short-handed game, and I consequently feel uncomfortable with this hand. Comments on all streets appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think it was a bad play by me, but good results. When I call he tables 87 off for a missed straight draw and my "nut ten high" is good. This doesn't really solve my problem though, because I obviously can't make a habit of calling down with ten high, and if I raise the flop he is just going to 3-bet his open-ended draw (as I said, he is hyper-aggressive), which is going to get me to fold when I don't hit on the turn. Is the better play raising the turn or raising the river? 3-betting preflop isn't going to scare him off when he flops a good draw, especially since I play back at him preflop pretty frequently in this situation.

LarsVegas
05-01-2005, 08:29 AM
From your analysis here, I can't really see what the problem is. You are either playing a bonafide maniac or a very strong limit holdem oppponent, but there's little you can do about that, except playing him the best way you can see fit, which you seemingly do.

If he is extremely tough, you can always quit the game.

Did this hand have any effect on future hands?

lars

TheBusiness
05-01-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From your analysis here, I can't really see what the problem is. You are either playing a bonafide maniac or a very strong limit holdem oppponent, but there's little you can do about that, except playing him the best way you can see fit, which you seemingly do.

If he is extremely tough, you can always quit the game.

Did this hand have any effect on future hands?

lars

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I certainly got yelled at for calling the river with 10 high. But that just kind of made him look stupid since my hand was good. It didn't change his play much though. He still raised from the SB every single time the button folded, no exceptions. I think it got me a couple of river checks when he completely whiffed, which is helpful. His postflop play was pretty good though, so I wouldn't consider him a complete maniac. As you know, aggression tends to work extremely well in very short-handed games, and that is one thing he's quite good at.

Obviously if I had known he had 87 off I'd be reraising the whole way since he only had 7 outs (his pair outs were no good and I had one of the ten's he needed for his straight). The problem is that because he raised the SB literally every time the button folded, he could be betting such a wide range of hands on the flop that there is no way for me to read him for the open-ended draw.

ggbman
05-01-2005, 02:54 PM
I hate your line here, don't be so passive. You could 3 bet preflop and lead the flop, you could raise the flop and lead the turn, you could bluff raise the turn, but calling down with 10 high is not the line you want to take against a hyper-aggressive.

mcozzy1
05-02-2005, 12:57 AM
What has the SB's post-flop play been like? How does he respond to a raise on the flop? on the turn? Hyper-aggressive players tend to have their pressure points.

I think your play in this hand depends on how your previous hands head's up with him have gone. If you've folded a lot in the past, I'm sure you could take this pot away from him easily. Either way, I think a flop raise would be an effective play.

rigoletto
05-02-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate your line here, don't be so passive. You could 3 bet preflop and lead the flop, you could raise the flop and lead the turn, you could bluff raise the turn, but calling down with 10 high is not the line you want to take against a hyper-aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Battling it out with a hyperagressive with a bad hand is a sure way to ruin. This is how they make money!

theBruiser500
05-02-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey Nat, wouldn't this be a perfect time to call preflop and then raise any flop? If you 3 bet preflop the pot gets big he gets suspicious and calls down a lot or fights for the pot and makes plays. By raising the flop the pot is now smaller and the raise is more "convincing."