PDA

View Full Version : Riding a motorbike q.

partygirluk
04-30-2005, 02:35 PM
I've never learnt, mainly because I live at home and my mum would go nuts. Also, it rains a lot over here, and biking in the rain does not sound like fun.

Well now I want to go to California to study, so those two problems ease. A bike seems to offer a number of advantages such as

i) Cheaper than a car
ii) Can cut through traffic jams
iii) Takes up less space that a car

However, I know basically nothing about motorbikes. So, any info is appreciated. A couple of specific questions

i) How much do they cost in terms of petrol/mile compared to the equivalent in a car?
ii) How difficult is it to learn and get a licence (I am a good driver)?

Thanks,

Dean

MelchyBeau
04-30-2005, 03:19 PM
what do you call a biker in ER?

Organ Donor.

Melch

Corey
04-30-2005, 03:52 PM
I don't have an answer to your questions, but a motorcycle has one more thing going for it, as a college student: You'll likely get better and cheaper on-campus parking.

astroglide
04-30-2005, 11:29 PM
weaving between cars or riding on the shoulder is a good way to get pulled over or clipped with an angry car door in some places

rusty JEDI
05-01-2005, 02:42 AM
i) How much do they cost in terms of petrol/mile compared to the equivalent in a car?

If you are getting a bike because you think it is cheaper than a car you are most likely very wrong. If you are getting a bike from the 80's or some 250 non sport bike then ignore the rest, but if you are getting a real bike then read on.

Yes gas is cheaper, by a little more than half.

But, everything else costs more. Anything goes wrong and if you cant do it yourself and even if you can its expensive. Parts on a bike are not cheap. There is also more maintenance necessary and you need to make sure your bike is running well. If your bike isnt in top shape you are seriously risking your life, because you do not have the added advantage of having a big steel cage protecting you like you do in a car.

If you are going to get a bike and care at all about your life you need to take lessons. Good lessons are going to cost you around $500. My lessons have definitely saved my life once, and saved me $100's of dollars in repairs that probably would have happened from slow or standing still drops.

You will also need to spend about $1000 on gear so that when you do go down you arent a road crayon. Your helmet should be at least $500 and the rest is a good jacket, and gloves at the very least.

Depending on your bike, insurance is a kick in the nuts. I drive a 650 sport bike in a high theft city so my insurance is more than my car insurance.

Driving a bike is a blast, but "cheaper" might be the worst reason to get one.

ii) How difficult is it to learn and get a licence (I am a good driver)?

I think there is very little correlation between being a good driver and being a good rider.

If you take the lessons you should have zero problem passing the tests. Not sure how it is there but here you need your learners for 30 days and can not ride without another rider over the age of 25, can not go over 60kph, can not ride at night, and can not have a passenger. You then take a parking lot test and now are only limited to no passenger and no night riding. After that you can take your road test and its 45 minutes being followed by a tester in a car behind you.

rJ

rusty JEDI
05-01-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Organ Donor.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, bikers have a problem with accidents because so many idiots in there big comfy cars take no time to check a blind spot or just dont see you when they turn left through an interesection you're going straight through.

rJ

istewart
05-01-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Organ Donor.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, bikers have a problem with accidents because so many idiots in there big comfy cars take no time to check a blind spot or just dont see you when they turn left through an interesection you're going straight through.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

We in cars don't consider bikers to be people.

mostsmooth
05-01-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Organ Donor.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]
ma, im good!!!

pshreck
05-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Aren't you an overweight british dude?

Yeah, next step is definetly crusing on a hog in Cali....

mostsmooth
05-01-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
weaving between cars or riding on the shoulder is a good way to get pulled over or clipped with an angry car door in some places

[/ QUOTE ]
i do believe lane splitting is quite legal in california, i wish it were true for new jersey

mostsmooth
05-01-2005, 03:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes gas is cheaper, by a little more than half.

[/ QUOTE ]
how come i keep paying full price?
/images/graemlins/cool.gif